mandrbeck
October 21st, 2016, 04:01 PM
This guy actually sold one and got positive feedback

Seller: idawithlove

Item: 122192377107, 122184100897

FredRydr
October 22nd, 2016, 05:36 AM
Fake MB seller on eBay

I'm shocked, shocked there're fake Montblancs being listed on eBay!

Fred

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4QckTWRROhI/TcQnr11zWdI/AAAAAAAAGf8/58qMxnfyjjg/w1200-h630-p-nu/casa31.jpg

mandrbeck
October 22nd, 2016, 08:18 AM
Clever.

mandrbeck
October 22nd, 2016, 08:21 AM
What I think is interesting is that he is getting positive feedback on really bad fakes, sold at fairly high prices.

FredRydr
October 22nd, 2016, 05:13 PM
Keep in mind that the reason fakes sell is because people are willing to buy them, again and again, and give positive feedback again and again (or shills post it). When evaluating an item on eBay, don't rely on positive feedback for this very reason.

Novice Montblanc collectors should beware, but over and over again they buy first and then post queries on FPN asking whether their bargain is a fake. It often is. In any event, there's a flood of counterfeit goods for all the luxury brands, and just because Montblanc used to be a venerable pen manufacturer before the Richemont era, it's not immune from this scourge.

Have you seen my pink cartridge-filler with the snowflake on top?

Fred

SIR
October 24th, 2016, 01:05 PM
Buy vintage.

:)

inspector4545
January 4th, 2017, 04:45 AM
I just bought this monblanc fountain on ebay. It is vintage Any idea on what year?

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/PpYAAOSwZQRYZaSS/s-l1600.jpg

carlc
January 4th, 2017, 04:52 AM
I just bought this monblanc fountain on ebay. It is vintage Any idea on what year?

Sorry but the 'iridium' nib is a clear sign of a fake. The cap is poorly built (with clear damage/poor quality) and the body looks generic and Chinese.

What was it sold as (any model number)?

Is it a cartridge/converter pen?

Clear guidelines here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/FAKE-MONTBLANC-PENS-ON-EBAY-PLEASE-READ-BEFORE-BUYING-/10000000002750150/g.html

jar
January 4th, 2017, 05:07 AM

First, welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. As pointed out, unfortunately what you bought is a total fake Montblanc. It's not even a vintage fake, it just a modern fake.

FredRydr
January 4th, 2017, 07:35 AM
I just bought this monblanc fountain on ebay....

Novice Montblanc collectors should beware, but over and over again they buy first and then post queries on FPN asking whether their bargain is a fake.

:facepalm:

Fred

Chrissy
January 4th, 2017, 08:15 AM
This guy actually sold one and got positive feedback

Seller: idawithlove

Item: 122192377107, 122184100897

I've decided to tell you a story that may interest you. Once upon a time, years ago now, I used to report fake Montblanc items, that I saw listed, to ebay.co.uk. I used to become frustrated because many of them sold without being removed.

So I emailed the then ebay.UK CEO. He was very helpful about the problem, and was instrumental in setting up a group of trusted ebay members, who could all report different fake designer items, to a special ebay team. They could then be removed, and removed quickly. It worked really well in those early days.

On a daily basis, I went through ebay listings and reported fake Montblanc items, and they were removed. I did that for 9 years. During this time I was asked to not just search on ebay UK, but to also search on other ebay European sites. Then I was asked to include ebay.com. After ebay.com joined the party, the original special ebay team was switched and became based in the US. I then started to notice that when I reported fake Montblancs that may have been unwittingly listed by large sellers, they weren't removed. When I asked about this I was advised that they weren't necessarily being removed for large sellers.

I didn't feel comfortable with this, as I felt that picking and choosing which fake items were removed didn't sit well with me, then as removal of fake items became slower and slower, I advised ebay I didn't want to do it anymore.

For a couple more years I carried on and removed Montblanc items by assisting someone in Richemont Group as a Vero agent on ebay. Then they moved their removal team to the US, and my services were no longer required.

What happens now is unclear, but from what I've seen, it's hit and miss, with many fake items selling to unsuspecting buyers.

I wish you all the luck in the world if you try to get them removed, because I can safely say I've been there, done it and got the T-Shirt. It's a thankless task. :(

FredRydr
January 4th, 2017, 12:06 PM
...For a couple more years I carried on and removed Montblanc items by assisting someone in Richemont Group as a Vero agent on ebay. Then they moved their removal team to the US, and my services were no longer required....

It seems strange that Richemont (as opposed to eBay) abandoned its European effort to fight counterfeit Montblanc sales on eBay.

Fred

Chrissy
January 4th, 2017, 03:06 PM
...For a couple more years I carried on and removed Montblanc items by assisting someone in Richemont Group as a Vero agent on ebay. Then they moved their removal team to the US, and my services were no longer required....

It seems strange that Richemont (as opposed to eBay) abandoned its European effort to fight counterfeit Montblanc sales on eBay.

Fred

It does. Maybe that is just what they told me. :) But they never seemed to be overly bothered about fakes on ebay UK, as opposed to fake web-sites that were set up on a daily basis.

wee40811
January 4th, 2017, 08:49 PM

Apparently the seller has no idea it was a fake. Good thing he cancel the transaction. Watch out for those fakes especially on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AzJon
January 8th, 2017, 09:29 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162350713617?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

An amazingly fake eBay listing: notice that the 'o' in 'Montblanc' is actually a zero '0'. The nib is listed as fine, where the piston knob is clearly marked 'M'. They also misspell Monblanc later as "MONBLANS".

So what give? I bet those are pictures of a real Montblanc, but not the item you will be receiving. Rather clever, no?

wee40811
January 9th, 2017, 03:06 AM
Also this pen is shipping from China. I would not trust any of the Montblanc listing coming from China. Unless seller is very reputable or have been selling genuine pens for a long time.

jar
January 9th, 2017, 04:23 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162350713617?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

An amazingly fake eBay listing: notice that the 'o' in 'Montblanc' is actually a zero '0'. The nib is listed as fine, where the piston knob is clearly marked 'M'. They also misspell Monblanc later as "MONBLANS".

So what give? I bet those are pictures of a real Montblanc, but not the item you will be receiving. Rather clever, no?

Unlikely to be a fake. Just a really worn 246. And not at all unusual to find the nib different than what is stamped on the piston knob.

AzJon
January 9th, 2017, 07:23 AM

Unlikely to be a fake. Just a really worn 246. And not at all unusual to find the nib different than what is stamped on the piston knob.

Unlikely even from a week old account out of China?

jar
January 9th, 2017, 07:32 AM

Unlikely even from a week old account out of China?

Correct. The pen is unlikely to be a fake. That does not mean the goal is not a con but if someone is going to try to sell a fake I doubt they would create a second tier worn out pen as the model.

AzJon
January 9th, 2017, 07:36 AM
shoot. Well, now I kind of wish I'd bid on it!

jar
January 9th, 2017, 07:40 AM

Well, even at the price it sold for it would still take $200-300 to get it back as it should be, so it was not really too great a bargain.

AzJon
January 9th, 2017, 07:48 AM
Well, probably for the best I didn't grab it. No chance of it being a demonstrator then?

I apparently have much to learn regarding Montblanc!

jar
January 9th, 2017, 08:07 AM
Well, probably for the best I didn't grab it. No chance of it being a demonstrator then?

I apparently have much to learn regarding Montblanc!

Nope. Jess worn. Brad Torelli can refinish them and does a great job but first it has to be taken totally apart. It's a first make it pieces parts and then repaint the celluloid and while it's pieces parts service all the pieces parts; them put it all back together restoration. At least he does not often have to cut out old Bondo.

AzJon
January 9th, 2017, 09:16 AM
sleuths in other parts of the internet found this original listing that also ended last night from another seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAUTIFUL-VINTAGE-BLACK-SEMI-TRANSPARANT-MONTBLANC-246-FOUNTAIN-PEN-/302183889518?hash=item465b903a6e%3Ag%3A5w0AAOSw5cN YZmR%7E&nma=true&si=6phcf5DoqnVMMGeKofMRxpYHQzw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The pen is real, the listing was not.

jar
January 9th, 2017, 09:35 AM
That I certainly believe. I have seen several of my fountain pens for sale myself. And at $315.00 for that one my 146s look like absolute bargains.

Bisquitlips
January 13th, 2017, 10:59 PM
I bet I turn in 10 fake MBs pens on Ebay a month on average.

It's a never ending scourge! The fakes are even good fakes as counterfeits go. But people buy them regularly. Sad!

wee40811
January 24th, 2017, 05:41 PM
I have bought one that looks real on picture. However the pen I received was not even close to the one that looks like in the listing. I guess if they really want to scam people, they can take picture of the real deal and send you the fake one.

jar
January 24th, 2017, 06:15 PM
I have bought one that looks real on picture. However the pen I received was not even close to the one that looks like in the listing. I guess if they really want to scam people, they can take picture of the real deal and send you the fake one.

No need to take a picture of the real thing, just steal one from Google images.

KBeezie
January 25th, 2017, 01:10 AM

The better question is whether or not they actually have the item, or just grabbed pictures from someone else. In regards to account age and location.

RoSpectre
January 25th, 2017, 06:41 AM
sleuths in other parts of the internet found this original listing that also ended last night from another seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAUTIFUL-VINTAGE-BLACK-SEMI-TRANSPARANT-MONTBLANC-246-FOUNTAIN-PEN-/302183889518?hash=item465b903a6e%3Ag%3A5w0AAOSw5cN YZmR%7E&nma=true&si=6phcf5DoqnVMMGeKofMRxpYHQzw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The pen is real, the listing was not.

Are you saying this link is a fake sale or the other sale stole pictures from this seller who is legit? I just bought from the seller in the quote above... Hope I don't get burned!

wee40811
January 27th, 2017, 02:28 AM

No need to take a picture of the real thing, just steal one from Google images.

I actually did the image search on various search engine, and it comes up empty. Also the warranty booklet that comes with the pen was the same or similar to the one in the picture. That's the reason I bid on the pen. The seller ended up sending me a fake with the same accessories in the picture. This just shows how far they are willing to go to cheat on people.
When I contacted the seller for the return he was very disrespectful and accusing me of trying to copy his pen, which makes no sense. Lol

RoSpectre
January 29th, 2017, 08:23 AM
Yes there really are no guarantees. People can show you anything and send you anything. On the flip side, someone could buy a real pen, photograph a fake, and claim they were sent a fake, thus being a scam buyer. This is probably what you were being accused of.

There may be safeguards in place but I imagine even feedback can be faked by creating many dummy accounts and having them all pump each other up.