PDA

View Full Version : Hello From Virginia

CaptainRon
October 22nd, 2016, 07:49 AM
I'm a long time pipe smoker. About a year and a half ago I decided to try cigars. That's where I learned the term "slippery slope" and its connotation of going into a new past time far deeper than you ever thought you would. I started out with a small desktop humidor, but six months later had a tower humidor that'll hold thousands of cigars.

I mention all that because this...

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161013/a37af7f19c523d5e3cf82a815d4190f6.jpg

...Is starting to feel like a very slippery slope! This started with me coming across bullet journaling and thinking it my serve me well for both work and personal usage. I've often thought it'd be nice to have a book to write down my thoughts and to be able to reflect back on them.

While researching bullet journals, I came across a fountain pen somehow. That lead to many many many videos reviews on fountain pens and a quick Amazon order several days ago for the blue pen (Feeney / Jinhao 750). Two days later I ordered some noodlers ink. And today I ordered a couple more noodlers ink and a noodlers ahab (gotta love Amazon free same day delivery).

So like I said, this slope is feeling mighty slippery! Anyway, that's my story of how I got to where I am now. Looking forward to learning more before I make too many purchases I may regret.

Ron

That was the post I tried to enter a week ago but couldn't due to not being able to activate my account. Got it done another was since it seems like theres no active administration here.

Since then I've placed several new orders that included several bottles of ink and several more pens, including one for my wife (trying to get her hooked too :) )

Edit to add my last order from Goulet Pens. A Monteverde Artista and a Nemosine Singularity with a pile of ink samples. More pens and ink showing up on Monday.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161022/fbbff3f469f6bd224e527a1c2a40587c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

jar
October 22nd, 2016, 08:04 AM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

Anne
October 22nd, 2016, 01:05 PM
Wow, you are well on your way! You have made some nice choices. Welcome Ron, and Keep Going!:)

CaptainRon
October 22nd, 2016, 06:17 PM
Thanks guys. The stuff showing up on Monday, also from Goulet Pens, is a blue Lamy Safari (her choice) and a TWSBI 580 for me. Then at work yesterday I decided I should get a 580AL too. But I wanted a color... google to the rescue and Wonder Pens in Canada had a "Lava" left. It's on it's way to me.

My huge splurge will end now. Gotta have some sort of fiscal responsibility. But I'll continue with research, my favorite part of any hobby I get into, and get a new bottle of ink every once in a while. I've always enjoyed writing with different colors of ink. Writing with fountain pens will just encourage that even more I think.

Hawk
October 22nd, 2016, 07:17 PM
Welcome.

snowbear
October 22nd, 2016, 07:24 PM
Welcome aboard from across the river.

Anne
October 22nd, 2016, 07:24 PM
I think that the TWSBI's will keep you happy for a long time.

DaveT
October 24th, 2016, 09:00 AM
Ron, Hello and welcome from Indiana!

WmEdwards
October 24th, 2016, 09:24 AM
Welcome!

Scrawler
October 24th, 2016, 10:50 AM
Greetings and welcome. I used to be a pipe smoker, and still have most of them hidden away. I told my physician that I plan to start smoking again when I am 80.

CaptainRon
October 24th, 2016, 05:44 PM
Greetings and welcome. I used to be a pipe smoker, and still have most of them hidden away. I told my physician that I plan to start smoking again when I am 80.

I'm just trying to complete my old man look. Pipes, beard, fountain pens. I just need the proper hat and I'll be all set.

Scrawler
October 24th, 2016, 07:06 PM

I'm just trying to complete my old man look. Pipes, beard, fountain pens. I just need the proper hat and I'll be all set.

I have the white beard and all the Harris Tweed I need for that. Even the tweed flat cap.

southpaw52
October 25th, 2016, 12:42 PM
Welcome to fp geekdom, glad to have you on board.

Frank
October 25th, 2016, 09:03 PM
:welcome:

Chemyst
October 27th, 2016, 07:46 AM
Greetings from Massachusetts! Nice ink choices.