PDA

View Full Version : Hello

alarsen77
October 25th, 2016, 01:26 PM
Hello. My name is Alex and I am new to fountain pens. I just received my first fountain pen which is the Karas Kustoms Ink Fountain Pen in Black with the Copper grip and a Medium Bock Stainless Nib. I have had a chance to write a little bit with it on some regular printer paper and I have noticed that the line it lays down is much broader than I thought it would have been and is very inky. Much more than my rollerball using a schmidt p8126. I have to say my handwriting is also not the greatest either. So I am sure I have a lot to get used to. But I am wondering if I should have gone with a fine nib to start with and get used to a fountain pen and the light touch that they require?

WmEdwards
October 25th, 2016, 03:17 PM
Welcome Alex! The wider line "may" be from the paper you are using. Is it feathering? Or, the nib may be a little too wet for your writing style, which can be remedied with a nib adjustment or a little "drier" ink. Again, Welcome!

jar
October 25th, 2016, 03:30 PM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

alarsen77
October 25th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Thank you for the welcome. I am using the J. Herbin Perle Noire cartridges. I have some Pilot Iroshizuku samples on the way to try out in the converter.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

alarsen77
October 25th, 2016, 03:46 PM
Also it is just basic paper. I have a Leuchtturm 1917 notebook on the way with the ink samples as well. It looks like it is feathering just a little bit on the paper I am using but nothing extreme. It has gotten better as I have been using it. I think I just need to adjust my writing to a fountain pen.

Hawk
October 25th, 2016, 06:50 PM
Welcome.

Frank
October 25th, 2016, 09:01 PM
:welcome:

carlos.q
October 26th, 2016, 04:58 AM
Welcome to FPGeeks!

I think I just need to adjust my writing to a fountain pen.

This part is really important! Fountain pens are not to be held or used as ballpoints or rollerballs. You will find that a tripod grip and a very light touch will go a long way towards a better writing experience.

alarsen77
October 26th, 2016, 07:29 AM
Welcome to FPGeeks!

I think I just need to adjust my writing to a fountain pen.

This part is really important! Fountain pens are not to be held or used as ballpoints or rollerballs. You will find that a tripod grip and a very light touch will go a long way towards a better writing experience.
I understand that. I wasn't using it like a ballpoint. I was being very light with it. I have gotten much better with it. I also think a lot had to do with when I put the cartridge in. I gave it a little squeeze to prime it. I think it got a little flooded with ink in the beginning and the pen now writes amazingly.

DaveT
October 26th, 2016, 10:00 AM
Alex, Hello and welcome from Indiana!

Anne
October 26th, 2016, 11:16 AM
Welcome Alex!

alarsen77
October 26th, 2016, 01:48 PM
Thank you for all the welcomes. I received my Leuchtturm notebook today and it is much better than the paper I was using yesterday.

Chemyst
October 27th, 2016, 07:41 AM
Greetings from Massachusetts!

alarsen77
October 27th, 2016, 08:15 AM
So along with the Leuchtturm notebook came samples of the Pilot Iroshizuku Kon Peki, Tsuki Yo, Shin Kai, and Asa Gao. I currently have a little bit of the Kon Peki inked up and it is a much nicer writing ink than the J. Herbin Perle Noire. I never knew there would be so many variables with Fountain Pens. I was thinking maybe I wanted to go to a fine nib but with the Kon Peki I am loving the way the medium nib is writing now.