PDA

View Full Version : The Chesterfield Ten: Quick Impressions

Sailor Kenshin
October 26th, 2016, 10:40 AM
So I don't need more ink. Seriously. And this has to be why I find myself with ten new inks to test.

Paper is Rhodia Ice. Pens are various. The rightmost swabs got a double pass, with some single-pass tail-end showing.

They will be blogged. I'm starting to despise that word. Will invent new one.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5650/30545847346_56919613fb_z.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5742/30582061505_4c6f22ee47_z.jpg

Many seem dry. Might be my pen. One of them made an appearance in Guess The Ink thread.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8132/29798413373_b5fdb35033_z.jpg

sgtstretch
October 31st, 2016, 06:52 PM
This is the first I've seen of these inks, and well the letter I received today from Sailor also. The Zircon does look really nice. Ancient Mariner reminds me of F-C Philly Pen Show Franklin Green. The Antique Crimson looks like a nice bright red, not overly pinkish in the writing sample.

Sailor Kenshin
November 7th, 2016, 08:50 AM
Updating, now that I've run through just about all of them:

Antique Slate has a definite blue base, that I discovered now on cleaning it out of the Dollar demonstrator. It was wet and easy in that pen, no hard starts.

Zircon had a kind of...I don't know, oily? consistency to it, that I found on dipping the nib to start, because it was always a hard starter.

Antique Walnut started hard when left for a day or two in the Metropolitan, but with regular use, flowed well, and may be the blackity-brown of choice for me.

Capri was very well-behaved.

Antique Crimson and Orchid stained converters and carts but good! Crimson is weird; it's the only bottle that has bubbles, almost a soapy consistency, and because of that, is hard to fill with a pipette.

Only the rust-colored Antique Raspberry was always unpleasant to use, dry and hard, and I may give that another go in some garden hose or other.

In all, as the Chesterfield line is being phased out, has some nice colors, and is selling at a good price, I'd say try a few bottles.

mrcharlie
November 10th, 2016, 09:06 AM
In all, as the Chesterfield line is being phased out, has some nice colors, and is selling at a good price, I'd say try a few bottles.
Chesterfield is being phased out? Did xfountainpens announce that somewhere? Will they start selling Diamine branded ink?

Thanks for the reviews.

Sailor Kenshin
November 10th, 2016, 09:14 AM
Chesterfield is being phased out? Did xfountainpens announce that somewhere? Will they start selling Diamine branded ink?

Thanks for the reviews.

You're welcome! Yes, if you go to xfountainpens you'll see that the Chesterfields are discounted. Some of the 'Antique' colors I wanted to try were already sold out.

I don't know whether they'll be selling Diamine, though. I haven't visited the site since I bought aaaallll those inks. :)

penwash
November 10th, 2016, 09:57 AM
I bought maybe their last batch of Fire Opal, Antique Copper, Antique Raven.

None of these on your sample though... wonder why?

Sailor Kenshin
November 10th, 2016, 10:39 AM

Those were gone by the time I bought. Already had Fire Opal, wasn't new to me. But it's the eye-searing color of a Creamsicle.

southpaw52
November 10th, 2016, 10:48 AM
Thanks you for a great and thorough review.

penwash
November 10th, 2016, 11:07 AM

Those were gone by the time I bought. Already had Fire Opal, wasn't new to me. But it's the eye-searing color of a Creamsicle.

You know what, Fire Opal mixed with Antique Raven becomes a very nice Orange that isn't as retina scorching. :)

WallyRussell
November 10th, 2016, 02:51 PM
I'm using their Cobalt, Obsidian, and Sodalite now. Nice inks.

Sailor Kenshin
November 10th, 2016, 04:29 PM
I'm using their Cobalt, Obsidian, and Sodalite now. Nice inks.

I've had Obsidian and Sodalite for a long time. I suspect Sodalite is IG.

mrcharlie
November 16th, 2016, 12:35 PM
I bought a few more bottles of Chesterfield including the Capri and Cobalt due to your review. (I already had Sapphire so now I have three of their blues -- seems like overkill).

I asked them about the brand being phased out (I believed you were correct but didn't see any announcement of it on the site) and here is their response:

Thank you for your question. Yes, the Chesterfield ink line is being discontinued. We will be carrying Diamine inks, but the color range will be different because Chesterfield inks were produced in custom batches. Please let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

Sailor Kenshin
November 16th, 2016, 01:33 PM
I bought a few more bottles of Chesterfield including the Capri and Cobalt due to your review. (I already had Sapphire so now I have three of their blues -- seems like overkill).

I asked them about the brand being phased out (I believed you were correct but didn't see any announcement of it on the site) and here is their response:

Thank you for your question. Yes, the Chesterfield ink line is being discontinued. We will be carrying Diamine inks, but the color range will be different because Chesterfield inks were produced in custom batches. Please let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

Excellent sleuthing; thanks! I liked Capri so much I filled a pen twice, which is unusual for me.