PDA

View Full Version : Sailor Concord Nibs

Slewis
October 26th, 2016, 10:25 PM
After much research and consideration of my needs, I have decided to acquire a Sailor 1911 Realo. This pen would be a daily worker, and in my job I need the versatility of fine (for numbers) and broader lines (authorizing signatures on financial documents, memos, correspondence, and the like).

I want to invest in a concord nib as my needs for fine lines outpace my needs broad lines. The Realo piston fill would afford enough ink for my tasks, reducing the need for refills.

My questions are these:
1. Would a sailor 1911 handle everyday use

2. The cross concord nib is $179 more than the naginata concord. Does anyone know if the cross concord is really $179 better?

3. I'm looking at getting this pen from nibs.com (Mottishaw). I have never order from them and would be interested to know if people have been happy with pens from that site.

My nearest pen shop is hours away and finding a live shop near me with speciality sailor nibs has not panned out. Advice from more experienced pen people would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

mcorrea
October 27th, 2016, 01:13 AM
I can tell you I have dealt with John Mottishaw. It's always been for customized nibs, but I've always been more than satisfied. I have bought a Namiki Vanishing point with stubbed nib, a Pelikan M250 with BB cursive italic, and two M600's one with a flexible fine and another with a 3B CI. The 250 was lost (stolen?) years ago but the other three pens are some of my most used/cherished pens.

I can recommend him 100%.

Matias

SIR
October 31st, 2016, 11:34 PM
1. Yes, absolutely.

2. A Cross can be a daily writer but is a nib designed to produce a lot more than 'everyday' writing.

See here, also: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/177489-concorde-naginata-and-cross-point/

3. Cannot comment, though I have largely heard very good things about Mr. Mottishaw. One of the best sources I have found for Sailor pens in particular is Engeika (http://engeika.com), though there can be a significant waiting time for the speciality nibs as they are often made to order.

gregamckinney
November 1st, 2016, 03:37 PM
RE #3: John Mottishaw is among the best folks/ businesses in the pen world. I have always been 100% satisfied.

Best Regards, greg