PDA

View Full Version : Surprised by Parker Quink water resistance

carlos.q
October 27th, 2016, 10:08 AM
In my ongoing search for safe, well behaved water resistant inks I decided to take a look at Parker Quink "permanent" blue and black. The permanent blue I had to import from the UK while the permanent black was easier to get. The results were surprising. Here is an "after" scan (I forgot to do the "before" scan :redface:):

As you can see, though the inks are not waterproof, they have some degree of water resistance. Quink blue leaves a legible light blue line while Quink black leaves a legible dark blue line.

The test was done on 20 pound printer paper, with a 10 minute drying time for the inks and a 1 minute blast of water from the faucet.

BayesianPrior
October 27th, 2016, 12:12 PM
I'd be very interested to find out how water resistant the Parker Quink Permanent Red is... Don't suppose you've got some handy?

Paddler
October 27th, 2016, 01:04 PM
Sheaffer permanent inks behave the same way, although coffee and tea, as well as some other beverages will wash them out completely.

carlos.q
October 27th, 2016, 08:04 PM
I'd be very interested to find out how water resistant the Parker Quink Permanent Red is... Don't suppose you've got some handy?

Sorry... I don't have Parker Quink Permanent Red...

I don't even have the more common Quink Blue-Black which I gave to a friend some time ago, together with a Lamy Safari.

The Good Captain
October 28th, 2016, 01:48 AM
A nice review and these inks are very underrated, aren't they? We tend to forget them.

Paddler
October 28th, 2016, 08:36 AM
I have two versions of Quink blue black. One washes out; the other one leaves a dark grey.

Inks behave differently to wetting when they are on the pages of a book vs. held under running water. Hard vs. soft water also makes a difference. I wrote in a composition book with about 30 of my inks and then soaked it in rain water for two weeks (until it began to smell bad). Some inks just feathered out into a big stain; others printed through a couple of pages in both directions; some feathered the color away and left grey writing; some remained unaffected. We should know these things when we want to protect our journals from floods or water damage following a fire. Problem is, ink manufacturers change their formulations at whim without telling anybody.

titrisol
October 28th, 2016, 01:22 PM
The old permanent blue became more permanent after a while... leave it to dry for 4-5 days and your results may be different

Waski_the_Squirrel
October 28th, 2016, 08:31 PM
Parker Quink Black was my go-to ink for several decades, and it survived a number of coffee and water spills.

Paddler
October 29th, 2016, 08:22 AM
Parker Quink Black was my go-to ink for several decades, and it survived a number of coffee and water spills.

Problem is: there are at least 3 versions of that. One has Solv-X, one is composed of many different colors, and one is just black. They wash differently.