PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Texas

caleath
February 25th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Hello all

I have been lurking around in here for a bit and posted a bit. I am Cliff ... I am not new to fountain pens..I hadnt used one in almost 20 years or so.

I am slowly building my collection...with a self imposed 50 per pen limit...I want to see how far that gets me. Not much else really to say...I am sorta quiet and dont say much.

writingrav
February 25th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Welcome. What's the over/under on whether you stick to your limit?

KrazyIvan
February 25th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Hi Cliff, welcome to the Dark Side.

$50 per pen will get you very far. Do consider at least three or four of those fifty's lumped together to get an Edison pen. I waited entirely too long to do that.

southpaw52
February 25th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Greetings Cliff welcome to Geekdom.

Bogon07
February 25th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Hi Caleath and welcome to the forum.
How many $50 pens have you budgeted for ?

Take heed of the Fountain Pen Sith Lord's advice. Those Edison pens are jewels, fantastic worksmanship and attention to detail.

TheRoXFiles
February 25th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Hi there! Welcome :)

caleath
February 25th, 2013, 07:35 PM
I will just have to win one then.

caleath
February 25th, 2013, 07:38 PM
So far I have been able to keep it under 40 bucks...I got a TWSBI 540 on sale since they were closing them out for the 580. So far I have managed to keep it under 25 for all of the ones I have so far. I have 10 under that limit now. We will have to see how long I hold out.

Bogon07
February 25th, 2013, 09:37 PM
So far I have been able to keep it under 40 bucks...I got a TWSBI 540 on sale since they were closing them out for the 580. So far I have managed to keep it under 25 for all of the ones I have so far. I have 10 under that limit now. We will have to see how long I hold out.

Are you keeping a running total of the savings under $50 in case you need to slurge out on an expensive pen ?

caribbean_skye
February 26th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Welcome welcome.

caleath
February 26th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Are you keeping a running total of the savings under $50 in case you need to slurge out on an expensive pen ?

Nah..its more the thrill of the hunt than a budget thing....I did get a new IPAD yesterday..so that monteverde with the stylus is looking pretty good. I just told the wife that I could get that for fathers day...if its a gift...cost doesnt matter.

fountainpenkid
February 27th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Welcome!

Bogon07
February 28th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Nah..its more the thrill of the hunt than a budget thing....I did get a new IPAD yesterday..so that monteverde with the stylus is looking pretty good. I just told the wife that I could get that for fathers day...if its a gift...cost doesnt matter.

Father's Day is a good escape clause and also book something big for your birthday.

And there is also a chance in the FPG monthly contests too.

KrazyIvan
February 28th, 2013, 04:22 PM

Don't forget the Levenger L-Tech stylus too.

Honestly, as a stylus, I am not liking the type with the squishy ball thing on the end. It gets tricky when you need accuracy. The squishy thing does not let you be precise. I am looking to getting an Adonit Jot Pro Stylus. Much more accurate. If you don't need accuracy (and I thought I did not) then a regular stylus will do.

Sandy M.
March 1st, 2013, 04:44 PM
Welcome, Cliff, from another Texan. Sandy M.

Tracy Lee
March 2nd, 2013, 05:23 AM
Welcome, I admire your discipline, something I don't seem to have for pens. :o

kenmc
March 20th, 2013, 02:11 PM
:welcome:
I thought he meant limiting himself to just 50 pens! :)