PDA

View Full Version : Tibaldi - To Ink or Not to Ink?

whichwatch
October 29th, 2016, 09:14 AM
I just received my very first Tibaldi - purchased on a bit of a whim since I have enjoyed so many other Italian pens. This Iride is a beauty, and since the pen has not been used, the barrel clarity is superb. But now I can't decide whether to ink it or just gaze at it.

I have used loads of Omas, Auroras, Viscontis, and Deltas and am familiar with how each brand tends to write, though of course individual nibs can vary and can be adjusted differently.

So if I decide to go ahead and ink this beauty, how will I find it to write? Generally wet and broad like Visconti, finer and drier like Aurora, or just simply beautifully like Omas? It is a Fine nib, though I usually prefer broader sizes including stubs and italics. Can anyone post a writing sample?

http://www.fototime.com/%7BCF37FC57-6DC1-4D1E-9CDA-9D1E351993F9%7D/origpict/T6.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7B566A5C7A-3B52-4F71-9534-1878B29D17FF%7D/origpict/T5.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7B0C5EDAB9-2A7F-4992-8DF0-11FE180B1559%7D/origpict/T7.JPG

Pterodactylus
October 29th, 2016, 09:18 AM
Great looking pen.

Imho a tool which is not used is not worth to own it.
So to ink or not to ink is never a question for me.

fountainpenkid
October 29th, 2016, 09:28 AM
I recently bought a NOS c. 1948 OMAS Extra (vest pocket size) in a similarly beautiful tortoise celluloid. And within minutes of taking it out of the box, I'd inked it, experiencing it's lovely full-flex nib for the first time. Unless you truly enjoy just collecting pens in its own right (something I'll admit I don't fully understand), I think you should ink it. Go with your gut--if you would like to use it, go ahead and do so. I am of the opinion that it's sinful to spend money on a beautiful pen--a simple, easily repairable tool--and just try to 'preserve' it.

da vinci
October 29th, 2016, 12:54 PM
Lovely pen. I have a modern (90's) Tibaldi and it is a great writer.

I suggest dipping it to test it first, then think about it. I sympathise with your predicament. I bought a CONID bulkfiller demo, and will use it but I am making sure I choose the right non-staining ink before I do so. No rush..

Jon Szanto
October 29th, 2016, 12:59 PM
FWP.

whichwatch
October 29th, 2016, 02:54 PM
ABC... 123 ....
Please explain FWP to me

Jon Szanto
October 29th, 2016, 03:01 PM
ABC... 123 ....
Please explain FWP to me

Sorry: "First World Problems". Consider yourself extremely fortunate to have not only a collection of exceptional pens, but the position to be in of a pen so pristine that it may or may not be filled with ink. It has taken me many years to gain an understanding into the ethos and mindset of having such a remarkable object and maintaining it solely as an item of worship, so I firmly believe in your right to keep such a pen un-inked and locked away (or merely on display). On the other hand, I know people who would love to be able to have a pen even one baby step up from a disposable piece of junk.

Not many people are in your position. Frankly, if dipping that pen in water showed me a writing experience I would enjoy, I'd probably take a very benign, non-staining ink (like a basic Waterman) and use it occasionally. I'll say one thing: it is a remarkably handsome pen!

WallyRussell
October 29th, 2016, 03:07 PM
I'd ink it. A pen without ink is just a piece of plastic.

Jon Szanto
October 29th, 2016, 03:19 PM
A pen without ink is just a piece of plastic.

That is, I have to just say, dismissive and not completely informed. Not all pens are alike, and not all pens serve the same purpose in purchasing. Indeed, there are pens that can appreciate in value over time, some to a great degree, and to even dip a pen, much less ink up the filling system, can reduce the sales value of said pen.

You'll note that I am leaning on the side of "using" it in my post above, but this pen is NOT a garden variety Pilot Metropolitan, and the OP is well within his rights, and due diligence, to consider all sides before deciding to alter the pristine condition it sits in at the moment.

tl;dr - not all pens are the same.

whichwatch
October 29th, 2016, 04:38 PM
Please excuse this old f*rt for not understanding the language of you young 'uns. I called my granddaughter for an explanation and she told me to look it up in the Urban Dictionary.

"Friends with Privileges"? Just what does Jon have in mind? Oh no! Maybe he wants to borrow my pen! :-)

@Jon Szanto - thanks for the explanation and the nice comments

@WallyRussell - actually, I mostly agree. With the exception of a small handful of very special highly collectible Omas, pretty much all of my pens get used in a somewhat random rotation.

The real issue is that I'm a little uncertain as to whether I'll keep this one for the long term or not. If I never use it, how will I ever decide? But using it might decrease the ultimate selling price if that day comes. Maybe @davinci had it right. A dip test might certainly help the decision.

Anyway, Jon is right. With all the world's problems, and with the, shall I say, rather controversial choices we here in The States have in the pending election of President (an equal opportunity insult - please let's not start on that one), whether or not to ink a pen isn't anything to spend much time on.

Jon Szanto
October 29th, 2016, 04:41 PM
Please excuse this old f*rt for not understanding the language of you young 'uns.

You've taken this whole topic in good stride, and I think it's an important one to visit every so often - there are a lot of ways to think about the situation.

For the record, I've gone over 63 times around the sun. "Young" is a very relative word at this point!

whichwatch
October 29th, 2016, 05:19 PM
For the record, I've gone over 63 times around the sun. "Young" is a very relative word at this point!

Not if you're almost 68, like I am! Everyone seems young to me these days!

inklord
October 30th, 2016, 05:54 AM
Please excuse this old f*rt for not understanding the language of you young 'uns. I called my granddaughter for an explanation and she told me to look it up in the Urban Dictionary.

"Friends with Privileges"? Just what does Jon have in mind? Oh no! Maybe he wants to borrow my pen! :-)

@Jon Szanto - thanks for the explanation and the nice comments

@WallyRussell - actually, I mostly agree. With the exception of a small handful of very special highly collectible Omas, pretty much all of my pens get used in a somewhat random rotation.

The real issue is that I'm a little uncertain as to whether I'll keep this one for the long term or not. If I never use it, how will I ever decide? But using it might decrease the ultimate selling price if that day comes. Maybe @davinci had it right. A dip test might certainly help the decision.

Anyway, Jon is right. With all the world's problems, and with the, shall I say, rather controversial choices we here in The States have in the pending election of President (an equal opportunity insult - please let's not start on that one), whether or not to ink a pen isn't anything to spend much time on.
... and so it boils down to whether you value the experience of the pen in writing with it more or less than the potential for achieving a good retail price. Being the Daoist that I am, I'd go for the experience, unless there's direct financial pressure looming...
By the way, still a very enjoyable way to waste time with you folks!!

wangminze
October 30th, 2016, 09:17 PM
Staring at my Impero is nice, but staring at it while using it is best. Congrats on such a beautiful pen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

penwash
October 30th, 2016, 09:55 PM
Such a beautiful pen.

In you shoes, I would dip the pen and write with it.
If I find out that I cannot stop writing with it, and enjoy it thoroughly, then I'll fill the barrel with ink and use it.

If I find out that it writes like just about anything else I have, I'll clean the nib and feed up, and put it in my "amazing looking pens that never been inked" collection :)

ethernautrix
October 31st, 2016, 11:07 AM
My usual answer is: Ink it! Use it! Enjoy it!

But, you know... you have all your other fine pens. There's no hurry. Preserve this pen's pristine condition for as long as it brings you joy, cos once you ink it, you cannot unink it. If you do ink it, don't look back.

FredRydr
November 2nd, 2016, 04:31 AM
I had one of those gorgeous pens until one day Alan Gross came by and offered me a price I couldn't refuse. The pen and pencil set must have been a special edition of some sort, because it was engraved with matching numbers and came in a heavy glass display box.

Use it! (I almost always say that.)

Fred

tklonowski
November 3rd, 2016, 05:44 PM
I use my Tibaldi Iride and Tibaldi Impero fountain pens several times weekly and enjoy their beauty as I am writing with them. They both have very smooth wet nibs.

tklonowski
November 3rd, 2016, 06:03 PM
I use my Tibaldi Iride and Tibaldi Impero fountain pens several times weekly and enjoy their beauty as I am writing with them. They both have very smooth wet nibs.

Pendel
November 3rd, 2016, 07:57 PM
I used to own a lovely Iride, and still own a Parker Vac Oversize. Why mention both in the same sentence? Because both beauties are a real pain in the tuchas to flush out, so once you start using the ink, you may as well stick with it for a good long time. I change the pens and inks in my rotation very regularly, being a joyful user and admirer more than a collector. The Iride was a beauty to hold and to behold, but far too much bother...

:-)

youstruckgold
November 11th, 2016, 07:47 PM
Do it! I have an Iride too - also fine. It IS a beautiful pen. While I find the filling system challenging, the writing is fabulous and definitely worth while.

Woody
November 15th, 2016, 01:38 PM

Not if you're almost 68, like I am! Everyone seems young to me these days!

Right there with ya pal. Beautiful pen, after looking at it even I want to know how it writes. ;)

whichwatch
November 15th, 2016, 04:31 PM
Right there with ya pal. Beautiful pen, after looking at it even I want to know how it writes. ;)

Kind of a funny story. After reading the responses to my post, I finally decided to dip the pen but not fill it. What a disappointment! It wrote about two fine, dry words and stopped. I'm no nibmeister, but a look with a loupe showed even this non-expert that the slit was awfully tight.

Fortunately, the Ohio Pen Show was not far off. A short visit to the good doctor Dan Smith ("The Nibsmith"), a new dip, and the pen wrote very nicely, although F is not really my nib of choice. Here's a sample:

http://www.fototime.com/%7B42657343-5CDD-4D0D-84AC-F04DFC439858%7D/origpict/Tibaldi%2520WS.jpg