PDA

View Full Version : Jinhao version info?

Monkey
November 1st, 2016, 02:01 PM
So, on the heels of the thread with no one talking about the cheap Chinese pens ;) I'd like to know if anyone knows much about the different Jinhao pens? Specifically, on ebay there's 8812 and 8802 that appear to be the same exact pen. Same coloring on the same body style, the section appears to be the same, cap, clip, I can't spot any differences. Are there actually any, does anyone know?

datainadequate
November 1st, 2016, 04:26 PM
I don't know the difference, or whether there is one, but I have noticed some sellers of fine Jinhao pens sometimes a) seem to get their photos muddled up, and/or b) seem to get their model numbers mixed up. Which is at the very least, an annoyance.

A quick Google reveals a bunch of people selling a wood-bodied pen as either 8812 or 8802, and other people selling a porcelain-bodied pen as 8802. On eBay, I'd go by the photograph, as eBay sellers have more incentive to get the photo right.

gbryal
November 1st, 2016, 04:30 PM
http://www.jinhaopen.com/ has at least what I assume are the official pictures of each.

Monkey
November 1st, 2016, 04:40 PM
On eBay, I'd go by the photograph, as eBay sellers have more incentive to get the photo right.
Oh yeah, I am definitely going by pics! I was just curious to know if one was correct and one wrong or if there was actually anything different or whatnot, ya know? :)

http://www.jinhaopen.com/ has at least what I assume are the official pictures of each.
Thanks for that! I've actually done a couple searches of "jinhao model#" before for reviews and such and never wound up coming up with their site, I had no idea what it was!

pollyskips
November 3rd, 2016, 10:57 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161103/70fa7bdb4edb8d73c0fed5cf0c765815.jpg I have not heard of the models already discussed, but this is a Jinhao pen which I received as a present from my parents. It writes well but the decoration is painful under the fingers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monkey
November 3rd, 2016, 02:26 PM
I haven't gotten any of those kind of models, they look interesting but they're not quite as cheap and I wasn't sure how the extra decorative body elements would work out for use. Good to know I made the right call there. ;)

matteob
December 24th, 2016, 02:51 AM
Not sure about those over decorated pens above but I have a few Jinhaos the x450, x750 and 159 and for the money (a few pounds/dollars/Euro) they can't be beaten. Mine feel solid, the enameling looks good and, while I seriously doubt the nib is 18k gold plated, it writes very well: nice and smooth with a good line of ink: recommended as a daily driver which would not be a catastrophe if it went missing!

Monkey
December 24th, 2016, 12:42 PM
Indeed, I love my Jinhaos, they're great cheap pens. I was merely trying to figure out the actual number of this one particular one. It doesn't seem to be on their site at all, and ebay and a few online shopfronts all seem not to really have any method to which one they use. Rather frustrating, I quite like the model.

Jon Szanto
December 24th, 2016, 12:58 PM
They go through models frequently, and this is not the kind of company to document stuff very well (inexpensive products are rarely well-documented). When a model ceases to be in production, all references tend to get dropped. Without print or pdf catalogs, all you are left with is the odd search in the net. Hard to expect anything more than that.

Monkey
December 24th, 2016, 01:02 PM
Yeah I'm not surprised that happens, hell I had a hard time even locating their site at all, lol. I suppose it's possible that it's no longer made, but they do seem to be readily available, so unless various places just had lots of stock still sitting around...?

matteob
December 24th, 2016, 04:41 PM
It could be that their website catalogue is not fully comprehensive. It does not look like a very highly maintained site. Maybe also possibly a muddle over the numbers?