PDA

View Full Version : More kudos for Dan Smith (the Nibsmith)

Alchemist
November 3rd, 2016, 07:17 PM
I recently sent three pens to Dan Smith for tuning, and was very pleased with the results. One was an Aurora Afrika that was so dry as to be almost unusable. Another was a 1980s Pelikan M400 that skipped terribly, and the third was a 1950s Montblanc Monte Rosa with a nib that I had messed up so that it wrote wet and blobby. I wasn't even sure that the Monte Rosa could be repaired. Dan did his magic, and all three pens were returned writing beautifully. And the price was very reasonable.

He now has a Pilot Custom 823 of mine that I'm getting ground to an architect nib, and I can hardly wait to get it back. I can't recommend his work highly enough. Thanks, Dan!

fountainpenkid
November 3rd, 2016, 07:35 PM
I second this. He adjusted the EF nib on an OMAS 556/F (modern "vintage" edition), which had a subtle baby's bottom that resulted in skips and hard starts. My instructions were conservative--perhaps even too much so--but he followed them exactly. Where others I've had tune nibs (not, to be sure, the cream of the crop in the nib world, but highly respected repairmen nonetheless) may have just gone ahead and made it buttery smooth, Dan respected my instructions and their intent while still satisfyingly 'sooping up' the writing experience. The turn around time wasn't bad either.

EHV
December 19th, 2016, 06:17 AM
I wanted to add another +.

Sent an MB 146 for tuning and purchased an Aurora Optima on another occasion. It was an absolute pleasure to deal with Dan and the service was just terrific.

I too experienced excellent turn around time on the nib tuning and the Aurora nib was looked at prior to sending and perfect out of the box. I look forward to dealing with Dan again and would offer 2 thumbs up with the wish that I had more thumbs to offer. :-)

I have to add that I am glad that another excellent nibmeister has become a dealer. I love the opportunity to make sure that the nib coming to me on a new, modern pen will be perfect and tuned to my liking.

Eric

southpaw52
December 22nd, 2016, 08:44 AM
Dan, worked on my Waterman Charleston, it writes 100% better.

TropicalPenGal
December 28th, 2016, 11:31 AM
I have had fantastic work done by Dan too! Once at the Miami Pen Show he transformed my Levenger Facets with a M nib to an architect grind, and it's wonderful. Then I bought a Pelikan M205 in Amethyst from him and he did the same with it. Three months later, it has not left my daily rotation. I'm 100% sold!!!

Tyto
February 20th, 2017, 06:30 PM
I had wanted to try Dan for nib work, and finally did so at the LA Pen Show. He turned a painfully dry and hard-starting VP needlepoint into a real daily driver. I will definitely use him for more involved work, as well.

EHV
March 6th, 2017, 05:25 AM
I also wanted to add, if it's OK, that Dan is also a dealer for certain lines.

I purchased a pen from him and the transaction was incredibly positive.

Note that this is a big deal to me because now, we have another source to purchase from that will make sure that the nib is great out of the box or further tune it to your preference as well as being able to provide a different grind if you'd like.