PDA

View Full Version : Complete. How'd you do?

manoeuver
February 28th, 2013, 04:49 AM
Got one written this morning, it'll go out today.

Looking at my InCoWriMo calendar I sent off about 31 letters this month.

Looking at my stack, I received 20 or so so far. Unless I missed one accidentally I've replied to them all.

In a normal month I receive 0 or 1 handwritten letters, usually from immediate family.

My experience of the month: Freakin Sweet.

I will respond to letters that continue to come in, despite my hubris about immolating late arrivals.

To all who wrote me: thanks!

Tracy Lee
February 28th, 2013, 05:18 AM
Complete, super happy, and totally satisfied. I can't remember the last time so many great letters filled my mailbox? Probably never. More replies to be done tonight, at least some, and 4 of 84 letters go out today on my way to work. This is the best thing I have been part of in a long time!

jfsisler
February 28th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Complete, super happy, and totally satisfied.

Me too! My mailbox has never seen that much action;) Usually I'm getting the umpteenth Capital One offer and bills.

I sent out 34 in February but I'm going to still keep writing. I've got a lot of people on my list yet that I still plan to write and at least 8 replies to send so March will be a letter writing month for me.

KrazyIvan
February 28th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Complete with three letters to spare. I just need to mail them out whenever my stamps get here. :whip:

chaimann
February 28th, 2013, 10:48 AM
I've sent 44 so far. One is still in progress, awaiting a trip to the PO for an international stamp. Several are awaiting replies. Every letter I have received has been delightful. Thank you all for playing along, and thank you, FPGeeks, for the idea and the venue.

Will anyone object if I continue to write First Letters ad hoc beyond February? Because sometimes I read something here that makes me say, "I need to write to that Geek!", and I haven't written to them all yet.

Tracy Lee
February 28th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Will anyone object if I continue to write First Letters ad hoc beyond February? Because sometimes I read something here that makes me say, "I need to write to that Geek!", and I haven't written to them all yet.

Bring it. :) My plan is similar.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

PostMuse
February 28th, 2013, 12:17 PM
I wrote between 250-300 in February. I didn't realize until a few days ago that I hadn't been adding new people to my outgoing database (I like documenting anything and everything) so I don't have a true number of how many pieces of mail I've sent. Later, when I've got everything caught up, I'll go back and reconstruct the details so I can see what I really did. It was an amazing month, and I met many interesting new people. And got to see some beautiful handwriting and lovely inks.

There are a dozen or so responses to go out in tomorrow's mail. And I'll continue to write to anyone who writes to me. It just won't be as quick a turnaround.

writingrav
February 28th, 2013, 12:17 PM
I must say I have enjoyed this month greatly. I prepared my last of 74 letters last night, addressing the 74th to Eric to give kudus and thanks as my first had been sent to him. But I couldn't stop today. Someone cancelled an appointment and what else was I going to do but shoot of 2 more letters to folks I hadn't gotten to, one in CT and one in Australia.
I certainly intend to kept writing to anyone who replies and welcome any who have not reached me yet to do so if you're so moved. Excellent job Mr. Schneider

caribbean_skye
February 28th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Apparently the postman came between my first and second trips to the mailbox. Letter 48 went out, 49 will go there later today and then I'll start on the replies. My mailbox has never seen so much love in a long time, thank you all.

I personally don't object and I'm quite the same about writing, but I'd probably just send another note especially if I'm still writing to the person. There are several people I didn't get mail out to, I just hope they participate next year as they'll be at the top of my list then.

Now to read the mail-love I got in today.

fountainpenkid
February 28th, 2013, 01:45 PM
I would love to continue exchanging letter, though not at the current rate. I've written over 30 I think. I honestly have no way to count...

Bohemond76
February 28th, 2013, 02:54 PM
I think it's time for a first MEA CULPA as I didn't manage 28 but a mere 23 letters in February. BUT I have received 20+ letters so I will repond to every single one of them in the course of march. I never written 23 letters in my entire life so doing those in one month is for me already some sort of victory. I'm looking forward to the coming exchanges and loved the stationery and inks and penmanship which now inspired me to do even better.

This reminds me I still need to write a ballpoint letter to that Professor....

Toffer
February 28th, 2013, 03:01 PM
I still need to write letter 28 but think it will have to wait until tomorrow I'm too tired tonight! Also need to reply to all of the ones I have received and I still want to write to a couple of people!

fountainpenkid
February 28th, 2013, 03:14 PM
I still need to write letter 28 but think it will have to wait until tomorrow I'm too tired tonight! Also need to reply to all of the ones I have received and I still want to write to a couple of people!

Did you get my mini letter?

KrazyIvan
February 28th, 2013, 03:17 PM
I will continue replying also. Anyone that writes me will get a response.

Bogon07
February 28th, 2013, 04:21 PM
I've done about 30 so far.

I would love to continue exchanging letter, though not at the current rate. I've written over 30 I think. I honestly have no way to count...

So you're not a list maker. I had to keep a list of who I've sent letters to but maybe that is just old age.

What you need is a new pen for list making and a notebook and a special ink.

PostMuse
February 28th, 2013, 05:05 PM
What you need is a new pen for list making and a notebook and a special ink.

I know this isn't meant for me, but okay. Thank you!

Tracy Lee
February 28th, 2013, 05:17 PM
I think it's time for a first MEA CULPA as I didn't manage 28 but a mere 23 letters in February. BUT I have received 20+ letters so I will repond to every single one of them in the course of march. I never written 23 letters in my entire life so doing those in one month is for me already some sort of victory. I'm looking forward to the coming exchanges and loved the stationery and inks and penmanship which now inspired me to do even better.

This reminds me I still need to write a ballpoint letter to that Professor....

Hey, 23 is no mere amount of letters. You rock, pat yourself on the back. Plus you are going to keep writing - best outcome hands down. :)

Carole
February 28th, 2013, 05:20 PM
I will respond to letters that continue to come in, despite my hubris about immolating late arrivals.

Wait--that was 'hubris'? I was gonna mail your letter tomorrow on purpose, just so I could be part of the Pay-Per-Flame Live Immolation event. Bummer.

(I'll still send the letter though. ;-)

Alex Hackmann
February 28th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Hello, everybody!

Suspecting I was long forgotten, today i received ny first two letters from PostMuse and Dragon. I got very happy. Answers will be written soon.

In the end, I think I got 33 or 34 letters.

See you,
Alex

eriquito
February 28th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Including today's outgoing, I sent 57 pieces of mail. Most were letters, a few were postcards. And I'm going to continue writing. It's great exercise for my pens (with true purpose), it's good handwriting practice for me, plus I find it rather meditative.

I'm calling InCoWriMo 2013 a complete success! Considering it was literally put together without planning just a few days before the start of February, I can only imagine that InCoWriMo 2014 will be even better. And I'm already looking forward to it!

eriquito
February 28th, 2013, 06:13 PM
I think it's time for a first MEA CULPA as I didn't manage 28 but a mere 23 letters in February. BUT I have received 20+ letters so I will repond to every single one of them in the course of march. I never written 23 letters in my entire life so doing those in one month is for me already some sort of victory.

23 is a true victory Bohemond! No apologies necessary - great job!

I'm hearing similar remarks from many, such as, "I haven't written this many letter in the past decade." and/or "...in my entire life." Letter writing is personal and artistic. I hope that everyone new to letter writing has thoroughly enjoyed InCoWriMo.

Now that InCoWriMo is over, shouldn't we all treat ourselves to new pens? All in favor...

caribbean_skye
February 28th, 2013, 06:21 PM
Now that InCoWriMo is over, shouldn't we all treat ourselves to new pens? All in favor...

You buying? I was thinking of doing that this weekend, nothing terribly pricey though. On a side note I got an email from Goldspot and they have some pens on clearance...

KrazyIvan
February 28th, 2013, 07:58 PM
A Pilot Metropolitan engraved with InCoWriMo 2013 will work for me. :)

TheRoXFiles
February 28th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Got one written this morning, it'll go out today.

Looking at my InCoWriMo calendar I sent off about 31 letters this month.

Looking at my stack, I received 20 or so so far. Unless I missed one accidentally I've replied to them all.

In a normal month I receive 0 or 1 handwritten letters, usually from immediate family.

My experience of the month: Freakin Sweet.

To all who wrote me: thanks!

I wrote 36 letters as of tonight. That's more letters than I've written in my entire life, and I think that's pretty darn impressive!

InCoWriMo has been awesome. I'd love to continue writing to folks and meeting new pen pals. :)

Type40
February 28th, 2013, 09:33 PM
The Post Offices are all closed and the results are in.

Sent: 97 (people I knew 24, new people 73)
Letters: 86 Postcards: 11

United States: 64 (3 AR, 1 AZ, 4 CA, 2 CT, 1 CO, 2 FL, 1 GA, 2 IA, 1 KT, 1 MA, 1 MD, 2 NY, 3 OH, 24 OR, 4 PA, 6 TX, 2 VA, 1 VI, 1 VT, 2 WA)

Other Countries: 33 (7 Australia, 1 Belgium, 1 Brazil, 2 Canada, 1 France, 1 Germany, 2 India, 1 Israel, 1 Spain, 1 Sweden, 12 United Kingdom, 3 The Netherlands)

At least one letter, note, or postcard was written each day. Averaged 3 and half a day with 11 being the most in a single day.

Received: 18

I have 4 that I need to reply too and will once I get some more supplies. I will continue to reply to all that send/sent me something.

Dragon
February 28th, 2013, 10:32 PM
Hi everyone, I’m back again but in a more relaxed frame of mind.
Done. I just returned from a mini celebration: fish and chips washed down with a few pints of my favorite ale. A little earlier, I rushed to the post office with my last three letters to beat the postmark deadline. I’ve completed Nanowrimo eight times, but this event was something special for me, a guy who hasn’t sent letters to anyone for ages. A wonderful sense of accomplishment and a rare opportunity to interact with some fantastically interesting people. I recommend participation to anyone with writing aspirations. Thank you Eric, Dan, Stephen, and Her Majesty for all the support you’ve provided for at least one reluctant letter writer.
Tally on month’s end: 64 letters sent to 63 persons; 16 letters received from 15 people. An estimated 120 hours spent on this project, roughly the same amount of time I would have allocated to any particular month-long writing assignment. I tried to contact everyone who posted a name and address on the exchange forum. There were other entries spread over other threads, but for time considerations I decided to concentrate on just this primary thread.
I’d like to thank everyone who participated and volunteered as recipients for our letters. I will acknowledge everyone who replied with a follow-up letter but on a more leisurely schedule. Thank you very much for bringing sunshine into gloomy mornings. I would look favorably upon any proposals to continue correspondence beyond the end of the month. Incowrimo Congratulations to everyone!

Dragon

Saintpaulia
February 28th, 2013, 11:07 PM
I wrote 46 Letters in 28 days. See photo for the ones received. A wonderful experience! (However, Her Majesty, The Queen has not yet written back)

bethinoz
March 1st, 2013, 04:13 AM
Hi All!

I have sent 28 letters 28 days - all to 'strangers' - some postcards some letters some origami, some a little cheeky :D ) some to Australia - most international (oh my the postage!). I'm still writing replies to some of the wonderful letters and cards I have received - February has been an absolute treat to be able to participate in InCoWriMo - thanks to everyone who joined in and thanks to Eric!!

Beth

mdesimone
March 1st, 2013, 07:40 AM
This was fun - and as a result, I think I'll keep on writing :) I will send out some more replies in March. Even with the convenience of email, its not the same as receiving a handwritten letter (cup of coffee in hand, walk to mail box, and read something tangible). Congrats to all!

chaimann
March 1st, 2013, 09:29 AM
This was fun - and as a result, I think I'll keep on writing :) I will send out some more replies in March. Even with the convenience of email, its not the same as receiving a handwritten letter (cup of coffee in hand, walk to mail box, and read something tangible). Congrats to all!

More than once, my husband brought me the mail, and said, "I think this must be some of Your People."

KrazyIvan
March 1st, 2013, 10:52 AM
I am still waiting on USPS to deliver my stamps. Lots of letters to go out. 13 to be exact, two not pictured.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8103/8519315386_af86b8b2dd_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/8519315386/)
#InCoWriMo Letters waiting for postage (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/8519315386/) by IvanRomero (http://www.flickr.com/people/ivan_romero/), on Flickr

dajhek
March 1st, 2013, 12:24 PM
I didn't keep count once I reached my mandatory 28 letters. Most of them were thank you letters to different people for helping my students get fountain pens during NaNoWriMo, but I did send out some personal letters as well. If you are still waiting for a reply from me, sorry. I'll get them out asap.

I'm also challenging myself to write a letter to someone in every state of the US (and as many different countries as I can get addresses for). 23 states so far, but only 4 countries. Guess I better get planning...

Toffer
March 1st, 2013, 01:09 PM
Did you get my mini letter?

Yes thanks, arrived today, you will receive a reply shortly, I'm off next week so can write replies to all the ones I have received!

Bogon07
March 1st, 2013, 05:58 PM
Managed to get out 30 letters. Now it is sort of embarrassing sending replies to other INCOWRIMOs I didn't include in the original list.

A big damn thanks to Eric, Dan & Stephen for instigating INCOWRIMO it looks to have been a big success just seeing new names on the FPG forum.
And it was heap of fun and so wonderful to get letters with such a variety of paper and inks.

AndreasDavour
March 2nd, 2013, 09:22 AM
30 letters sent, and of those were 9 replies to letters gotten. A few more of those are in the pipeline, but they didn't go out before the end of February.

I'll keep replying to all incoming, even though I'll wait until next year to start sending out letters to new people. I did buy more paper and envelopes today for the last replies, and if everyone I wrote writes back I will be busy a while still.

Great idea this. Thanks Eric!

TheRoXFiles
March 2nd, 2013, 10:14 AM
Managed to get out 30 letters. Now it is sort of embarrassing sending replies to other INCOWRIMOs I didn't include in the original list.

I wouldn't feel so bad about that. Maybe it's because I'm new here, but there were so many pages of people to write to. In my case, I actually sorta planned on people writing to me that I didn't include in my original InCoWriMo list. My game plan for InCoWriMo went something like this:

1) write to random people on the mailing lists. (I chose the "these 29 people would love to receive your InCoWriMo correspondence" list from the InCoWriMo blog because it was a much shorter list and wouldn't be so overwhelming to me.)
2) When I'd receive letters or responses from people, I'd write responses to those folks first, then...
3) ...when I was through writing and mailing off those responses, I'd go back to picking random people off the mailing list.

Right from the start, I chose to not use the InCoWriMo writing calendar. I didn't like the thought of having specific people to write to because, well...I didn't know anyone and none of my non-FP Geek friends or family wanted to participate in this. This meant that I'd be relying entirely on that mailing list at the InCoWriMo blog. I'm on the shy side in person, so the very idea of planning to write 28 letters to specific people who were complete strangers wasn't winning me over. But picking folks off the mailing list, one at a time, then writing replies to any responses I got back, was more manageable for me. :)

caribbean_skye
March 2nd, 2013, 10:34 AM
+1 to what TheRoXFiles said (I may have to start calling you RoXy). I think part of the fun was to receive letters that you weren't expecting.

I did a calendar of sorts, basically I just picked names that I knew I wanted to write to (usually because I knew something about them that would make that initial letter easier to write) and left loads of empty spaces for people who signed up later (or for those who wrote me first). What I found quite amusing is that about 3 people unknowingly wrote me the same day that I wrote to them. It does make keeping up with the conversations quite interesting. At the end of the day it is all about having fun and indulging in the madness and if you've done that, then mission accomplished.

TheRoXFiles
March 2nd, 2013, 10:39 AM
+1 to what TheRoXFiles said (I may have to start calling you RoXy).

That's cool :) Well...within a Harry Potter fanfic forum I was in, my pen name was "Roxie Ravenclaw." And although my name is actually Theresa, there are people out there who'd still call me Roxie. :)

The name "TheRoXFiles" was a name I chose for Twitter when I took my character, Roxie Ravenclaw, on the road and into the wonderful world of Twitter roleplaying (RP'ing). It reflects my character's name and the name of one of my all-time favorite sci-fi shows, "The X-Files." The truth is out there.... :P :)

On a random note, I just remembered: I think the most disappointing thing I learned during InCoWriMo that none of my friends or family--including friends and family who I've known personally, not just online friends who I've known for years--had no interest whatsoever in participating in InCoWriMo with me. They were not interested in getting any snail mail at all. It sorta hurt to know that they had no interest in corresponding with me--or anyone--via written letters. Facebook was fine. Email would've been a weird, rare choice. Snail mail was out of the question. Kinda sad. :(

vhr5
March 2nd, 2013, 11:46 AM
First of all, I would like to thank everyone who wrote me, it was a real treat and I enjoyed every letter and card!

So far I have written 34 letters or postcards for the month of February, 35 as of today (one letter came in on March 1st). I written so many letters that I had go go out and buy more stationery. I am interested in continuing with those who have written me, of course, at a much slower and relaxed pace.

I have learned a lot from my fellow InCoWriMo penpals, and from those you who continue to correspond with me, don't be surprised if you see better stationery, newer inks, and of course, newer fountain pens from me.

southpaw52
March 2nd, 2013, 01:45 PM
I kept pace for the month, it was fun to write to others and to receive letters. I'm committed to continue to write letters throughout this year. It is wonderful to sit down, slow down, and read a letter.

Tracy Lee
March 3rd, 2013, 11:23 AM
Thought I would share my InCoWriMo booty- this is everything received including the 4 yesterday. To the left are those I have replied to, the lower right is the stack I am working on now. :-)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

cedargirl
March 3rd, 2013, 03:16 PM
Phew... I got there, eventually. I had to post four letters on the 28th to get it done. I'm glad I did it; but it was a bit hectic at times. It was all a bit of a blur, I'm afraid.
I'd love to keep communicating with people at a relaxed pace. Thank you to all the wonderful people who wrote to me. I loved every letter.
Fro me, writing to complete strangers was not easy, so it was great to have this push. I've 'met' a bunch of people that I wouldn't have otherwise.
Thanks to FPG for organising it!!

magnesium68
March 3rd, 2013, 09:39 PM
My wife ask me last night " It is over?" I said "What?" she replied "Your letters thing", then i said "No honey i cannot stop, if i stop the leader of the fountain pen cult will come and skin me alive!"

So sadly i will keep on buying stamps and writing letters until i find the perfect hiding place :)

My collection for february1788

magnesium68
March 3rd, 2013, 09:41 PM
Sorry i mean this picture1789

caribbean_skye
March 4th, 2013, 02:00 PM
My wife ask me last night " It is over?" I said "What?" she replied "Your letters thing", then i said "No honey i cannot stop, if i stop the leader of the fountain pen cult will come and skin me alive!"

So sadly i will keep on buying stamps and writing letters until i find the perfect hiding place :)

Haha, great news...

Ayla
March 11th, 2013, 10:55 AM
I completed with complete success! To all who wrote (or continue to write me) your replies will be on their way as soon as I can find the time :) I can't wait for incowrimo next year (not that I will stop writing and receiving letters mind, keep 'em coming)!