PDA

View Full Version : Pen for my daughter!

caleath
February 28th, 2013, 10:08 AM
My 16 year old daughter is going on mission trip to California over spring break. I got to thinking a journal would be a good thing for her to have to record her thoughts etc while she is gone. I found a Black and Red journal but in pink at the office supply for her....but a pen thats the question....
She started out with a Pilot Varsity..I wanted to make sure she would keep up with it. I got her a pink preppy next...but its time to step up to a better pen....but pink. I searched for a bit and picked up a Kaweco Sport in pink...just the ticket...with some ctgs she can take with her. I think this will be perfect for her trip.

Just sharing my thoughts as my little girl grows up..I am proud she likes to use fountain pens..we have converted a few of her friends too..I buy them Preppy and refill the ctgs for them when they get low.

What pens do you think would make good teenager pens...I buy the preppy cause they are cheap and I am supplying 6 kids with them other than mine.

fountainpenkid
February 28th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Great to hear! I'm actually a year younger than her, but I think I'm a true nerd about fountain pens, whereas maybe she isn't...so my opinion is somewhat bias...
I use an OMAS Paragon, Pelikan m400 White Tortoise and a Parker Slender Vacumatic at school every day. Used to use a vintage Aurora 88 or a Parker Duofold Jr. That said, I don't think I am a full-on collector... I only buy pens I can use at school and at home. (I can't stand when people have 30 pens or something say, "I am not a collector" because they are, even if they buy their pens to use them like I do.)

Does she have any interest in non-cartridge pens? Maybe a TWSBI 20 ink bottle with some pen would work (the vac 20 ink bottle is plastic and is made for traveling). I think the TWSBI Mini would be a nice upgrade... Maybe a sheaffer snorkel in a pastel color would also work (The open nibbed ones can be had for the same price as the mini on ebay and sometimes of fountainpenrecycler as well).

KrazyIvan
February 28th, 2013, 03:15 PM
My 19 year old has two Chinese pens that I stubbed and a Lamy Vista with a 1.1 mm. She uses all of them daily.

fountainpenkid
February 28th, 2013, 03:19 PM
My 19 year old has two Chinese pens that I stubbed and a Lamy Vista with a 1.1 mm. She uses all of them daily.
I forgot about lamy, which is probably the best bet.

Bogon07
February 28th, 2013, 04:07 PM
I was going to suggest a Pink Lamy Safari but they are getting hard to find.

An alternative which uses the same nibs is a Pink Lamy Nexx like this one from GouletPenCo with a choice of nibs.
http://www.gouletpens.com/Lamy_Nexx_Pink_Fountain_Pen_p/lmy-l82.htm
The grip section of these is slightly more rounded than the one on the Safari/Vista/Joy/Al-Star.

Some shops may still have the Strawberry Al-Star which is a pale reddy metallic pink or the Shiraz/Dark Purple Al-Star for a bolder statement.

Sandy M.
March 1st, 2013, 04:48 PM
The Lady 600 Duke is kind of fun. I have the purple one. It accepts international cartridges.
Lots of colors are available on Ebay. My Dukes always start and never skip.

menunes
March 3rd, 2013, 12:14 PM
Hi,

Besides the pointed solutions, why not the Faber-Castell BASICS or the LOOM. They come with some funky color caps, like orange and pink-purple. I think they are about 40 US dollars give or take. You would need a converter, though. SBRE Brown has a review of both in his youtube channel.