PDA

View Full Version : Ink Review: Diamine Autumn Oak

Chrissy
November 12th, 2016, 08:33 AM
The fact that the autumn leaves are falling reminded me that I have Diamine Autumn Oak in my Lamy AL-Star Copper Orange pen and have not reviewed it yet. The pen has been filled for quite a while, so the ink may have darkened slightly but it's now a lovely autumnal colour. Not yellow, but a darkish orangey golden brown. It's truly an autumnal ink.

I've written with it on different papers to show you the effect on a paper you might have. My Tomoe River notebook has heavier TR 68gsm paper in it.

These are photos not scans and have been corrected using Photoshop.

This isn't sold as a waterproof ink, and shows no noticeable water resistance.
It exhibited very good flow and lubrication and I found it particularly smooth to write with. I saw no skips or hard starts while I did swabs and dry time tests.
It exhibited excellent shading.
It is currently available in 80ml glass bottles or 30ml plastic bottles
Diamine (http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/listings.aspx?catid=14) sell it directly to end-users on their web-site.
It's a reasonable price.

RocketRyan
November 12th, 2016, 10:39 AM
Lovely ink may have to get some.

jacksterp
November 14th, 2016, 09:39 PM
If I hadn't just received a bottle of Terracotta, I'd be very tempted.

Thanks for the review.

Chrissy
November 15th, 2016, 01:34 AM
If I hadn't just received a bottle of Terracotta, I'd be very tempted.

Thanks for the review.
:thank_you2: You're welcome. :)

I like Terracotta too. :p

RocketRyan
November 15th, 2016, 06:36 AM
Very tempted by this ink, this may have just swayed me. Thanks.

southpaw52
November 15th, 2016, 08:39 AM
Chrissy, I always enjoy your ink reviews. Another great review, I like the comparison of the ink on two different papers. Great color.

Chrissy
November 15th, 2016, 10:17 AM
Very tempted by this ink, this may have just swayed me. Thanks.

Chrissy, I always enjoy your ink reviews. Another great review, I like the comparison of the ink on two different papers. Great color.
You're both very welcome.

I always have a problem with choosing papers because I'm aware that those I can find here might not be what others can find elsewhere. I suppose everyone can find Rhodia and possibly Tomoe River, but I think that CiAK notebook could be from a sampler set of notebooks from Goulet Pens. It's nice paper, but it doesn't photograph well. It's slightly nearer to cream than white, but nothing like the bluish tinge it shows up as in photos. I will have to try scanning it to see if that's better.

rluka
October 30th, 2017, 08:55 PM
Does the ink look more yellow-green in real life ?

I'm confused because the Autumn Oak I purchased seems to be more yellow-green rather than orange-red like in reviews everywhere.
Thought it might be my pen nib, but a drip and swab on the paper also still show noticeable slightly green tint.

Although it looks better in photo.

RocketRyan
October 31st, 2017, 12:02 AM
Depends what the pen has had in it before, it's a real grass if you haven't cleaned your pen thoroughly. It also seems to get darker over time.

rluka
October 31st, 2017, 01:07 AM
It's a new pen, and tried washing it again.
Also tried swabbing the ink on paper just to be sure, but there's still a noticeable greenish tint that I didn't see in any other reviews.

I hope it's not problem with the ink I got.

Chrissy
October 31st, 2017, 02:13 AM
My Autumn Oak doesn't look yellowish green. It's an orangey colour. :)