PDA

View Full Version : In search of a word

iosepus
March 2nd, 2013, 07:45 AM
This is a question for those English native speakers, mostly.

What verb would you use to mean the manufacturing of a nib? If you coin a coin, or you frame a coin, what is the most perfect verb to use in conjunction with nib?

Cheers,

Iosepus (estilofilos.blogspot.com)

fountainpenkid
March 2nd, 2013, 08:13 AM
Pienso que "stamp" es un verbo appropriado por eso, pero plumins que estuvo "stamped" son malos... De verdad, no se que verbo es mas appropriado... lo siento!
Se que plumines excelentes (como pelikan, etc) son "shaped" usado un impreso de razas...

Espero que te he ayudado,

snedwos
March 2nd, 2013, 03:57 PM
Creo que la fabricación de plumines no es algo lo suficientemente extendido como para que se creara un verbo específico, la verdad.

I would say manufacture, actually. Or make, even.

manoeuver
March 2nd, 2013, 06:22 PM
apparently nibs used to be cast. Now I imagine they are mostly stamped.

I thought coins were mostly struck or minted.

iosepus
March 3rd, 2013, 04:26 AM
Thanks everybody for your insights. Gracias a todos--I did not know this was a multilingual forum!

Thanks, manoeuver, for your corrections--you are right with those words. I wrote my question on a rush, without proper checking. I must also admit I did not know the verb to strike in that context. Now that I know it, the process of engraving (again, is this the right verb?) the nib with any particular pattern or brand name or logo, etc. could very well be called stricking.

So far we have two words--to cast and to stamp, and even to shape, although I do not really understand what fountainpenkid meant.

Thanks again. Cheers,

manoeuver
March 3rd, 2013, 04:51 AM
You are most welcome, and I love your blog. I read every post.

fountainpenkid
March 3rd, 2013, 06:19 AM
Thanks everybody for your insights. Gracias a todos--I did not know this was a multilingual forum!

Thanks, manoeuver, for your corrections--you are right with those words. I wrote my question on a rush, without proper checking. I must also admit I did not know the verb to strike in that context. Now that I know it, the process of engraving (again, is this the right verb?) the nib with any particular pattern or brand name or logo, etc. could very well be called stricking.

So far we have two words--to cast and to stamp, and even to shape, although I do not really understand what fountainpenkid meant.

Thanks again. Cheers,

Sorry, snewdos is the only native spanish speaker in this bunch...I love spanish in school, but if I don't make sense, sorry!;)(btw snewdos, you have a letter in spanish on the way...;))
By shape I meant that nibs are pressed around a mold after they are cut out. I guess this may help:
http://www.vintagepens.com/images/cat/7651a.jpg

snedwos
March 3rd, 2013, 06:55 AM
Casting and stamping are different processes, of course.