PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Fountain Pen

everybodylovesbacon
March 2nd, 2013, 08:45 PM
Hello all,
Can you please make some recommendations for fountain pens for beginners beyond Pilot Varsities? Something that is simple to maintain and fill that is under $50 and then recommendations for under $100 would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

KrazyIvan
March 2nd, 2013, 09:07 PM
Under $50, the Lamy Safari with a converter. Under $100 TWSBI Vac 700. It is going to depend on your hand and size also.

everybodylovesbacon
March 2nd, 2013, 09:09 PM
Average sized woman's hand.

KrazyIvan
March 2nd, 2013, 09:20 PM
The Safari should be fine. The triangular section is not for everyone but teaches you how to hold a pen properly. The Vac might be too big. I saw one up for sale and the lady said it was too big. A Sailor 1911 can be had for around $80 sometimes. The slim size would be good. Smaller and portable pens are the Kaweco Sport, and Liliput. The TWSBI mini should be good too.

everybodylovesbacon
March 2nd, 2013, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the recommendations!

snedwos
March 3rd, 2013, 02:17 AM
Just about any sub-$100 lamy should suit, I think. The Studio, if you want something nicer than a Safari.

fountainpenkid
March 3rd, 2013, 06:24 AM
Maybe the TWSBI Mini as well for sub $50. For under $100 the Parker 51, Aurora 88 vintage (yes, you can sometimes find them for under $100), or as others said the TWSBI Vac 700. If you can get a working Aurora 88 from a reputable seller, unless you hate gold trim or hooded nibs, I think it would be the way to go. But they don't sell for under $100 every day, so it may take a little while to find one in that price range.

snedwos
March 3rd, 2013, 06:53 AM
Vintage can be the way to go if you're happy with fine nibs. Broad nibs are rarer, so they drive prices up. It's really annoying.

fountainpenkid
March 3rd, 2013, 07:57 AM
Vintage can be the way to go if you're happy with fine nibs. Broad nibs are rarer, so they drive prices up. It's really annoying.

+1. It is quite hard to find a broad nibbed 88 or 51

snedwos
March 3rd, 2013, 09:29 AM
I one day hope to get one of Greg Minukin's 51 superstubs. It's the only reason I'm actually interested in a 51, actually. The hood allows the nib to not look silly with that huge blob of tipping on the end.

wolffullmoon
March 3rd, 2013, 09:50 AM
I have found Parker 51s for very reasonable prices. I would suggest the Aerometric filler as these have held up beautifully. Mine is an original from 1948 and has never been replaced. Good smooth nibs, as a rule but toward the fine side. Usually they are no bulky and should be the right size for most medium sized hands.

everybodylovesbacon
March 3rd, 2013, 06:15 PM
Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. :)