PDA

View Full Version : 3-D Printed Titanium Fountain Pen?

fountainpenkid
December 1st, 2016, 02:08 PM
https://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/webstore/main/pjotr-spica-virginis-fountain-print-limited-edition-p-8307.html?language=en

How did I not know about this? The printed Ti nib is especially intriguing.

Mister5
December 1st, 2016, 02:25 PM
That looks like a squid. My kids would think its awesome!

fountainpenkid
December 1st, 2016, 02:31 PM

The designer wanted it to look like a wheat head.

top pen
December 1st, 2016, 02:46 PM
yet they couldn't of come up with a less plain grip section...

fountainpenkid
December 1st, 2016, 03:38 PM
yet they couldn't of come up with a less plain grip section...

And, from my guess, a less plain filling system.

jar
December 1st, 2016, 03:51 PM
Sorry but that just looks silly.

Jon Szanto
December 1st, 2016, 03:52 PM
Just... no.

Empty_of_Clouds
December 1st, 2016, 03:59 PM
I'm curious. Does 3D printed metal exhibit different properties than if it was made in the more usual fashion?

penwash
December 1st, 2016, 05:19 PM
I have a mixed feeling about digitally printed anything on how it can become a collectible item (as the ad claims).
How? When with one push of a button (simply put) the whole thing can be recreated with no distinguishing features from the previous one.

The pen itself does showcase the ability of a 3D printed design. But sure looks uncomfortable to write with.

Blue Note
December 1st, 2016, 08:30 PM
That's just goofy. Totally useless.

Sandy Fry
December 2nd, 2016, 05:42 AM
It reminds me of one of those Montegrappa monstrosities.

David

Scooby921
December 2nd, 2016, 06:56 AM
You would then be obligated to announce, "Release the Kraken", every time you pulled out the pen.

I'm curious. Does 3D printed metal exhibit different properties than if it was made in the more usual fashion?
Yes, but it is a different material from other nibs, so it may be safe. With any material the processing changes it slightly. Most nibs start as a flat plate. When the blank is cut for the general shape you'll get some changes in material property along the edge as the cutting tool is essentially stretching and tearing to create the shape. You get additional work-hardening when the shape is then bent / folded into its normal curved shape. This adds to some of the strength a gold nib has considering how soft gold really is.

A printed nib with no processing or work-hardening would not be as strong and reliable, but this one says it's titanium which is already a much stronger, stiffer metal than gold. It won't perform like a stamped titanium nib, but it should work well enough for the application.

jar
December 2nd, 2016, 06:59 AM
You would then be obligated to announce, "Release the Kraken", every time you pulled out the pen.

Yes, but it is a different material from other nibs, so it may be safe. With any material the processing changes it slightly. Most nibs start as a flat plate. When the blank is cut for the general shape you'll get some changes in material property along the edge as the cutting tool is essentially stretching and tearing to create the shape. You get additional work-hardening when the shape is then bent / folded into its normal curved shape. This adds to some of the strength a gold nib has considering how soft gold really is.

A printed nib with no processing or work-hardening would not be as strong and reliable, but this one says it's titanium which is already a much stronger, stiffer metal than gold. It won't perform like a stamped titanium nib, but it should work well enough for the application.

Considering the fact that the pen does not look like it is designed to be used the performance of the nib should be only a small concern.

Monkey
December 2nd, 2016, 10:00 AM
I happen to think it looks really interesting and would certainly consider one -- were it actually affordable. For me, at least, it is most definitely not.

Kaputnik
December 2nd, 2016, 01:21 PM
I can't imagine that this would be comfortable enough in my hand that I could actually enjoy writing with it. The price would give me pause even if I were well enough off to afford it, just on the theory that no pen should cost that much. But it's still very interesting to see this sort of thing. Thanks for the link.