PDA

View Full Version : First Annual Micro-Letter Contest!

fountainpenkid
March 4th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Hi all,

I have been replying to people recently with very small letters (not all, but some replies of course), and after being recently challenged to a small-letter writing contest myself, I wanted to share the fun with others.

So here's how it works:
From the topic InCoPenPals, it seems many people including my want to continue to write letters (albeit at a slower pace ;)) after the 28 day challenge period. To write a mini/micro, you simply need to write a letter to anyone who has an active account here (responses included of course) just as you would otherwise, but simply make it as small as you wish(or can).
To be entered into the contest though, the letter must be at least 50 words long, be written with a fountain or dip pen, and the piece of paper it is written on must have the proportions of an 8 1/2X11'' piece of paper (just an approximation).
If you get a mini letter from someone with these specifications, post a picture of it next to a ruler here. There will be an award of some sort (any recommendations?) for the smallest and the most beautiful letters...the latter being voted upon I guess.

Have Fun and write small! ;)

Bogon07
March 5th, 2013, 02:28 AM
Hi Will, is that size correct? 8 1/2X11''sounds like a normal letter size to me.

I thought you were going to go for something micro like 3.5 x 5.5" or a letter no longer than 50 words. :confused:

fountainpenkid
March 5th, 2013, 04:37 AM
Hi Will, is that size correct? 8 1/2X11''sounds like a normal letter size to me.

I thought you were going to go for something micro like 3.5 x 5.5" or a letter no longer than 50 words. :confused:

Sorry for the misunderstanding. The letter must have the PROPORTIONS of an 8.5/11 piece of paper. Just get as close as you can if you don't want to measure.

southpaw52
March 5th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Sounds interesting and challenging.

KrazyIvan
March 5th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Wish I still had my old .18 mm Unibal Signo-bit pens. :p

fountainpenkid
March 5th, 2013, 03:32 PM

Those would help :). But I've been using the backside of my nibs..some turn out to be good writers on both sides!

Bogon07
March 5th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Sorry for the misunderstanding. The letter must have the PROPORTIONS of an 8.5/11 piece of paper. Just get as close as you can if you don't want to measure.

No sorry my fault, my brain ignored the word "proportions". I'll blame that on my medical condition.

Gee you will have to be careful not to use a fibreous paper with 0.18 mm Unibal Signo-bit pens.
To be safe try the 0.28mm ones. ;)

earthdawn
March 5th, 2013, 03:52 PM
@ KrazyIvan - Or take your new set up and try your hand at grinding out an XXX-fine nib ... extra extra extra that is ....

sounds cool

KrazyIvan
March 5th, 2013, 03:55 PM
lol, that would be a "by hand" grind I think. The stone would probably go right through the nib and I would have another stub on my hand. Not that it is a bad thing. :D

cedargirl
March 5th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Hi all,

I have been replying to people recently with very small letters (not all, but some replies of course), and after being recently challenged to a small-letter writing contest myself, I wanted to share the fun with others.

So here's how it works:
From the topic InCoPenPals, it seems many people including my want to continue to write letters (albeit at a slower pace ;)) after the 28 day challenge period. To write a mini/micro, you simply need to write a letter to anyone who has an active account here (responses included of course) just as you would otherwise, but simply make it as small as you wish(or can).
To be entered into the contest though, the letter must be at least 50 words long, be written with a fountain or dip pen, and the piece of paper it is written on must have the proportions of an 8 1/2X11'' piece of paper (just an approximation).
If you get a mini letter from someone with these specifications, post a picture of it next to a ruler here. There will be an award of some sort (any recommendations?) for the smallest and the most beautiful letters...the latter being voted upon I guess.

Have Fun and write small! ;)

You mean I can't use my 0.2mm rotring Variant?:)
I'd probably have to use my loupe to write it anyway - and read them!

fountainpenkid
March 5th, 2013, 05:01 PM

Fine, you can now use whatever the rotring things you guys speak of... :) I'd love a letter so small I need a loupe to read it!

Bogon07
March 5th, 2013, 05:48 PM

That is a good point what is really different between a fountain pen and a technical drawing pen ?

fountainpenkid
March 6th, 2013, 04:33 AM
That is a good point what is really different between a fountain pen and a technical drawing pen ?

Not that much I guess! I have some myself, but they don't seem to work very well.

jbb
May 9th, 2013, 10:03 AM
This sounds so fun. I think iron gall ink might give you the thinnest lines. Is anyone still doing this?

ardgedee
May 9th, 2013, 10:46 AM

I have a couple 0.18mm ball pens, but never found paper they could write on well. They might be better for tattooing than writing.

KrazyIvan
May 9th, 2013, 10:59 AM

I have a couple 0.18mm ball pens, but never found paper they could write on well. They might be better for tattooing than writing.

Rhodia DotPad does fine with them but I mainly used them in Moleskines. No show through! :p

ardgedee
May 9th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Hm, I didn't have any Moleskines available when I last tried tried them out. And when I got some, I hadn't thought about those pens. I should get them together sometime and see.

By my recollection, though, the difference between the 0.18 and 0.25 was not so much line thickness as ink density. the 0.25 was more or less what I had wanted to get out of the 0.18, but the writing felt smoother and the results were easier to read.

BikerBabe
May 9th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Too bad that ink tend to bleed a lot when I write on my cigarette papers! :D

jbb
May 9th, 2013, 05:59 PM

Have you ever tried pouncing paper with gum sandarac and then writing on it with a dip pen. Gum sandarac gives you thinner lines. It might not work enough on cigarette papers.

BikerBabe
May 10th, 2013, 02:35 PM

Have you ever tried pouncing paper with gum sandarac and then writing on it with a dip pen. Gum sandarac gives you thinner lines. It might not work enough on cigarette papers.

Mmm nope, I'm not even sure where or if I can get that here in DK. Thank God for online shopping possibilities! :D