PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with Federal pen brand?

Sailor Kenshin
December 6th, 2016, 04:05 PM
Does anyone know about this brand? It's a real beater I picked up at a pen show; note the gap between section and barrel. But the nib seems nice enough (reads Velvetouch 14K Gold Plate), and I want this to be my first attempt at restoration. Going to try fabricating a knockout block as well.

What size sac might this take? The body is thickish.

Clip:

http://extras.ourpatioparty.com/files/6514/8104/2148/Federal_Pen_-_Clip-640p.jpg

Nib:

http://extras.ourpatioparty.com/files/5314/8104/2150/Federal_Pen_-_Nib-640p.jpg

Thanks!

penwash
December 6th, 2016, 04:34 PM
SK, most pens that are about 5 inches capped (so called "standard" size) should take ink sac #16. If this guy is particularly chunky, like Conklin Endura, then #18 would fit as well. But in general #16 is a safe buy.

You can make a simple but effective knocking block from two 1x1 inch smooth wood pieces that are secured on each end with rubber-bands and a film canister with a soft liner to catch the nib and feed once they are knocked out of the section. I used this contraption successfully for almost 100 pens now, until I recently switched to a broken brass vacumatic filler removal tool. But once in a while I have to use the wood one when I encounter a section size that is just weird :)

Welcome to the repair side of the hobby.

KrazyIvan
December 6th, 2016, 04:44 PM
SK, most pens that are about 5 inches capped (so called "standard" size) should take ink sac #16. If this guy is particularly chunky, like Conklin Endura, then #18 would fit as well. But in general #16 is a safe buy.

You can make a simple but effective knocking block from two 1x1 inch smooth wood pieces that are secured on each end with rubber-bands and a film canister with a soft liner to catch the nib and feed once they are knocked out of the section. I used this contraption successfully for almost 100 pens now, until I recently switched to a broken brass vacumatic filler removal tool. But once in a while I have to use the wood one when I encounter a section size that is just weird :)

Do you have a picture of that knockout block (film canister catch can)?

Sailor Kenshin
December 6th, 2016, 05:07 PM

Thanks, Penwash! It's fatter than an Estie J, but maybe the barrel material is thick. Won't know until we take it apart. I don't even know what it's made of!

And ditto on that pic. :)

kirchh
December 7th, 2016, 02:13 PM
> most pens that are about 5 inches capped (so called "standard" size) should take ink sac #16.

Note that there is no particular length of pen that is called "standard" size, and the interior girths of pens of all lengths vary widely, so no assumptions can be made about sac sizes based merely on overall length.

--Daniel

Sailor Kenshin
February 14th, 2017, 05:57 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the help. My Federal was re-sacced today and it took an 18! Pics to come, likely.

Wow. This could get to be a habit. ;)

Sailor Kenshin
February 16th, 2017, 07:54 AM
http://extras.ourpatioparty.com/files/8814/8725/2517/Restored_Pens-640p.jpg

Yup. I can see this becoming a habit. ;)

Thanks.