PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for pen pal letter "tuck-ins"?

TheRoXFiles
March 4th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Hi, folks! :)

I've been learning a little about "tuck-ins (http://www.friendship-by-mail.com/pen-pal-tuck-ins.html)" for pen pal letters lately. I know that small, light, flat things are great for tucking into letters as extra little gifts for recipients--things like photos, newspaper clippings, stickers, or stationery...that kind of thing. And I know that in the InCoWriMo letters I've received, I've received a page out of a desk calendar (the kind that uses up one page per day) and I've received a couple blank postcards. Great stuff! But I'm curious...what other kinds of things have other folks here sent or received as tuck-ins? I could use some ideas on what I'd like to consider sending out to folks. :)

Bogon07
March 4th, 2013, 08:17 PM
I rec'd a neat adhesive Bad Cartoon (insert registered trademark symbol) tucked in with the letter from Manoeuver in the mail today. :)

TheRoXFiles
March 4th, 2013, 08:20 PM
I rec'd a neat adhesive Bad Cartoon (insert registered trademark symbol) tucked in with the letter from Manoeuver in the mail today. :)

Neat :)

Bohemond76
March 4th, 2013, 11:58 PM
Well if your not a crafty person ( like myself ) you can also try to add: a seal, use personalised stationery ( expensive I think, going to check it out ), stamps, simple designs, poetry, post card about place you visited and are referring to in your letter, blanc paper the recepient can try out on, etc.

During INCOWRIMO I received several letters that had the above and made me tinking of also adding those extra touches to my letters. Postmuse's envelopes are a must have. I can see them become collector items ;p

Tracy Lee
March 5th, 2013, 04:15 AM
Many people asked me about the stationery I used to do my letters so I wanted to put something in here about it. I used some paper and envelopes I bought from www.americanstationery.com that I had embossed with my initials on the sheet, and my address on the envelope flap. I thought it was really affordable,but that can be relative. I use ivory, but it comes in pink, blue and white as well. Do a search on the site for embossed pastel stationery. You can buy just sheets, or include envelopes. I just restocked and bought 100 of each for less than $100. Should last awhile. I also have an embosser and you can get those for about $40 with one dye, and around $60 if you add another dye. My husband got my initials, and also one that is a bookplate type format for my home library. Just passing along info and options since it was mentioned. :)

TheRoXFiles
March 5th, 2013, 04:39 AM
Oop...I think we're already going off-course, just a bit...yes, you have to tuck your letter into your envelope, and if it's written on nice stationery, or stationery that is special to you, that's great. :) But I'm talking about extras that can be added to envelopes before we send the letters off. Apparently tuck-ins are a thing among other pen pals, and that's something I'd love to get into, too. It's just...aside from extra pieces of paper or card stock, I'm not sure what else will survive a trip through the postal system, including the machinery used to process the mail.

So far, all I'm certain about is that I will not be tucking in two things that other penpals have included, according to other tuck-in lists I've seen: confetti or dirt. Neither of these things are gifts (?) I'd wish to give or receive. Besides, I imagine that giving these things to someone else is really just giving them the gift of a giant mess, which nobody would want (unless they're Oscar the Grouch, I guess). :P

I'm intrigued by ideas I've seen online about sending tea bags or packets of hot cocoa through the mail as tuck-ins. Apparently that's possible--both of those things were included in tuck-in lists I found online. One thing I've considered, too, is sending off Snapple bottle caps to people. I "collect" bottle caps by snapping pictures of them and posting them to Facebook or Pinterest, but then I toss the bottle caps out. Well...I wonder if these bottle caps would make it through the mail system, maybe? Not sure how they'll stack up against the machinery the postal system uses, though, or if they'll be okay in a regular white envelope with a letter. But sure...my friends know I love Snapple bottle caps, so why not share them? :) The only thing that would stop me is, I'd be more concerned about how an envelope with a Snapple cap would fare after going through the postal system.

Bohemond76
March 5th, 2013, 06:30 AM
I now remember I got twice coins from people in Middle-East and Russia in the envelope the card came in. It was via Postcrossing and rather cool I thought considering I have been collecting roman and medieval coins for years.

And yes Tracy I was thinking of your personalised engraved stationery when making my initial post above ;p

TheRoXFiles
March 5th, 2013, 08:46 AM
I now remember I got twice coins from people in Middle-East and Russia in the envelope the card came in. It was via Postcrossing and rather cool I thought considering I have been collecting roman and medieval coins for years.

Very neat! I've heard about coins being included as tuck-ins too.

Well...I do have one other idea about something I'd like to send out to folks. I'm surprised it didn't occur to me to send this before, but seriously--it's so Chicago...something that tourists probably wouldn't know about, even if they'll probably spot these anywhere in the city...and it's something that most of us Chicagoans love. I'd still want to see about sending out Snapple bottle caps at some point in the future, but I wouldn't want a letter to not get sent to someone because the envelope got ruined during processing because of the bottle cap inside. :(

KrazyIvan
March 5th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Paper samples! I received some sheets of Tomoe River paper. Bogon sent me a small cahier notebook a while back and some stone paper. :D

TheRoXFiles
March 5th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Paper samples! I received some sheets of Tomoe River paper. Bogon sent me a small cahier notebook a while back and some stone paper. :D

That sounds pretty neat :) I think I've seen stone paper once before? Although now that I think about it, I wonder if someplace like Walgreens would sell a notebook full of stone paper. But that's what it said on the cover of one of the notebooks they were offering.

KrazyIvan
March 5th, 2013, 02:22 PM
That sounds pretty neat :) I think I've seen stone paper once before? Although now that I think about it, I wonder if someplace like Walgreens would sell a notebook full of stone paper. But that's what it said on the cover of one of the notebooks they were offering.

Yes, Walgreens sells the Oxford Stone Paper notebook. It's odd stuff that sucks the life out of some ink. Vibrant inks turn a chalky version of their former shade.

caribbean_skye
March 5th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Erm, it depends on what you have and what the other person enjoys. As a numismatist, whenever I encounter another one I tend to "tuck in" a dollar bill. Now if they are American I may tuck in an extra one I have, if they're not American I tend to tuck in one from where my parents live. I've also received (and loved) bookmarks. Sometimes people have handwritten a treasured/favourite recipe and sent those along (I love to try new things) and even a comic strip. Hope that helps you with some ideas.

This isn't really tuck in, but as a teenager, my pen pals and I would paste cut out of things from magazines onto the letters (may want to fold the letter first, that way you're not pasting on a fold) that we thought was particularly interesting. Plus it made each letter unique and added something to look at besides ink colour. :)

Bogon07
March 5th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Everyday here I learn something new today it is:

Numismatists are often characterized as students or collectors of coins (http://fpgeeks.com/wiki/Coins), the discipline also includes the broader study of money (http://fpgeeks.com/wiki/Money) and other payment (http://fpgeeks.com/wiki/Payment) media used to resolve debts (http://fpgeeks.com/wiki/Debt) and the exchange of goods (http://fpgeeks.com/wiki/Good_(economics_and_accounting)).

Caribbean_skye have you seen the Tornado Retro 51 Special Edition series – Tornado Bill ?
It has a facsimilie of an American note wrapped around the pen barrel.
As a bonus these are one of the best non-fountainpen writing experiences around. (thanks again KI for the black one)

KI, don't use Noodler's Dragons Napalm on that Italian stone paper it will take a couple of days to dry and feather out 1/8" or 2-3mm on either side of the pen line.

TheRoXFiles
March 5th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Erm, it depends on what you have and what the other person enjoys. As a numismatist, whenever I encounter another one I tend to "tuck in" a dollar bill. Now if they are American I may tuck in an extra one I have, if they're not American I tend to tuck in one from where my parents live. I've also received (and loved) bookmarks. Sometimes people have handwritten a treasured/favourite recipe and sent those along (I love to try new things) and even a comic strip. Hope that helps you with some ideas.

This isn't really tuck in, but as a teenager, my pen pals and I would paste cut out of things from magazines onto the letters (may want to fold the letter first, that way you're not pasting on a fold) that we thought was particularly interesting. Plus it made each letter unique and added something to look at besides ink colour. :)

Thanks for your suggestions--they're very helpful :)

I'll have to figure out what I might want to include as tuck-ins for my American penpals. I do have a tidy stack of magazines (eg Entertainment Weekly) piling up, for instance...I love the magazine and have had a subscription for years now, but haven't been able to find the time to actually read them. :( But folks can get those anywhere...it'd be nothing special if I included anything from there in letters. :/ I do have the one idea...and actually, I got to try it out on a couple of letters, so it's gonna take a few days to see how that goes over. Since my InCoWriMo penpals and I are all still getting to know each other, I'd want to try to see what is unique to Chicago and is something that reflects me and my life. I think that'd be a good place to start.

vhr5
March 5th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Here are some ideas for tuck-ins. Some of these may have been suggested, others depend on the kind of person you are writing to and how much you want to spend on that person.

Possible tuck-ins:

a simple sketch or drawing
a message written in code
a meaningful poem
post office stamps
postcard of local landmark
a local leaf (pressed flat)
favorite stick of gum
a bookmark
a favorite written quote
a cartoon or comic
a swatch of ink sample
an extreme close-up picture of a everyday object. Other person would try to guess what it is.
a sample card of favorite perfume or cologne
a portion of sheet music of favorite song or music
a picture of a landmark or object seen everyday when going to work
a picture or article of your favorite actor, artist, musician, author, etc.
a seasonal holiday card or sticker
a blank or filled in mad lib
a small origami item
a handmade coupon
a flat toy that needs assembly (i.e. airplane or other item made of balsa wood or plastic)
a funny picture of the writer
an inexpensive gift card
a photocopy of a line or paragraph from your favorite book

I'll add more if I think of some.

fountainpenkid
March 6th, 2013, 04:34 AM

I got one of those as well...lol. Does yours start with "tap tap tap....?"

Type40
March 6th, 2013, 10:53 AM
I have an idea for you. Get a group together and play a card game. Have each player shuffles a deck, deals out a card for each of the players and them selves. They write a letter to each player, inserting the card (without looking at it), and send it on its way. All the players get a letter plus a card from the other players and who ever can make the best hand wins.

There are lots of variation on this and it would be fun to see what type of playing cards each person sends.

TheRoXFiles
March 6th, 2013, 11:16 AM
I have an idea for you. Get a group together and play a card game. Have each player shuffles a deck, deals out a card for each of the players and them selves. They write a letter to each player, inserting the card (without looking at it), and send it on its way. All the players get a letter plus a card from the other players and who ever can make the best hand wins.

There are lots of variation on this and it would be fun to see what type of playing cards each person sends.

That sounds pretty neat. Reminds me of stories I've heard about people playing chess via mail...which is something I personally wouldn't do because I don't know how to play chess in the first place :P...and I could've sworn I've read about people sending playing cards to each other just because. I think the latter would be pretty interesting if you collect playing cards...wouldn't it be neat to have a full stack of playing cards, with each card coming from a completely different deck, based on what your penpals have sent you? I bet it'd be one weird, mismatched deck, but it'd be neat because you and your penpals would've built that deck together. :)

chaimann
March 6th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Speaking of sending a poem: April is National Poetry Month (http://www.poets.org/page.php/prmID/41), and April 18 is Poem In Your Pocket Day (http://www.poets.org/page.php/prmID/406). You can get printable, pocket-sized poems (http://www.poets.org/page.php/prmID/409) that would make perfect enclosures.

TheRoXFiles
March 7th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Speaking of sending a poem: April is National Poetry Month (http://www.poets.org/page.php/prmID/41), and April 18 is Poem In Your Pocket Day (http://www.poets.org/page.php/prmID/406). You can get printable, pocket-sized poems (http://www.poets.org/page.php/prmID/409) that would make perfect enclosures.

Thanks for the idea :)

Well...I wonder if anyone would appreciate receiving an entry from my "F in Exams" desk calendar. Maybe, if you're lucky enough to write to me on a certain day, you just might receive that day's entry? :) And some of the answers students give are really funny...makes me wonder who's actually more clever, the students or teachers. :P

manoeuver
March 8th, 2013, 05:44 AM
Almost out of Tap Tap stickers, gonna do a run of a different bad cartoon- any requests?

Look here http://fpgeeks.com/category/bad-cartoon/ for your options.

Bogon07
March 9th, 2013, 01:51 AM
I got one of those as well...lol. Does yours start with "tap tap tap....?"
Yes that sounds like the one. It truly captures the pathos and anguish of our infatuation with fountain pens.

caribbean_skye
March 9th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Almost out of Tap Tap stickers, gonna do a run of a different bad cartoon- any requests?

Look here http://fpgeeks.com/category/bad-cartoon/ for your options.

You could always test out new ones, just an idea. Even a play on the "Rejected FPGeeks Gift Ideas" and do a "Rejected letter tuck-in ideas".

TheRoXFiles
March 9th, 2013, 11:47 AM
You could always test out new ones, just an idea. Even a play on the "Rejected FPGeeks Gift Ideas" and do a "Rejected letter tuck-in ideas".

...be careful what you ask for? :P

Seriously, I think it's a lot easier to think about rejected tuck-in ideas than good ones. I think of some of the crazier things I've read about people sending through the mail and...well. Ewwww. x_x Although, to be fair...the things I'd read about getting sent via mail weren't meant to be gifts. Like this (http://jezebel.com/5894006/lady-legislator-who-opposes-mining-gets-envelope-full-of-human-poop-sent-to-office), for instance.

caribbean_skye
March 9th, 2013, 11:58 AM
...be careful what you ask for? :P

Seriously, I think it's a lot easier to think about rejected tuck-in ideas than good ones. I think of some of the crazier things I've read about people sending through the mail and...well. Ewwww. x_x Although, to be fair...the things I'd read about getting sent via mail weren't meant to be gifts. Like this (http://jezebel.com/5894006/lady-legislator-who-opposes-mining-gets-envelope-full-of-human-poop-sent-to-office), for instance.

Uhm ewww! Well it's for a cartoon, I'm sure he could come up with something comical.

TheRoXFiles
March 9th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Uhm ewww! Well it's for a cartoon, I'm sure he could come up with something comical.

True. It can be a lot more innocent than that. And much more funny, not...ewwww. :P For instance...I know I'd go O.o if one of my penpals was like: "Dear Theresa, I've had a busy day. I only had time to eat half my Pop-Tart this morning. See?" And sure enough, there'd be a half-eaten Pop-Tart inside the envelope along with the letter. But the mental image of me peeking into an envelope, seeing that and going O.o cracks me up. :)

Or maybe I'd open up an envelope one day and there'd be a broken pencil inside, along with a lame pick-up line: "Life without you is like a broken pencil: pointless." :P

manoeuver
March 9th, 2013, 08:35 PM
True. It can be a lot more innocent than that. And much more funny, not...ewwww. :P For instance...I know I'd go O.o if one of my penpals was like: "Dear Theresa, I've had a busy day. I only had time to eat half my Pop-Tart this morning. See?" And sure enough, there'd be a half-eaten Pop-Tart inside the envelope along with the letter. But the mental image of me peeking into an envelope, seeing that and going O.o cracks me up. :)

Or maybe I'd open up an envelope one day and there'd be a broken pencil inside, along with a lame pick-up line: "Life without you is like a broken pencil: pointless." :P

eraserless?

TheRoXFiles
March 9th, 2013, 08:41 PM
That too, if the pencil got its eraser snapped right off. :P

chaimann
March 15th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Ooh, look at the new stationery (http://www.moleskine.com/en/news/pastel-messages).

BikerBabe
March 15th, 2013, 10:25 PM
Nice thread! :)
A few years ago I participated in a calendar thing we had going at another forum where I'm active.
And because there was a lot of participants (all female), we made sure that the things we sent each other was cheap or free.
Each person had four people that she had to send four gifts to, and we made sure that everyone participating got 24 gifts sent, it was a christmas calendar thing.
And since we celebrate christmas on the 24th of december here, 24 small gifts was sent to each participant by different participants.
We kept track of it on the forum, in a special christmas calendar thread.
And since we knew each other really well and a lot of us were friends IRL as well, we tried to make sure to send each other small gifts that matched our interests.
The things I received was:

Woven paper christmas hearts
Various knitting and crocheting recipes on small things like socks and scarves, shawls and such.
Newspaper and magazine articles about things that interests me (danish police, crime, forensic investigation, motorcycles, WW2, Greenland)
Postcards
Small flat easy to send christmas ornaments
Small embroidery packages with motorcycle and aircraft motifs (yes, that does exist! :D )
The sender's own printed photos
Printed nice little stories with a christmas theme.

You could also send someone:
Stamps, if they collect.
Paper cut-out cards or mobiles
Guitar strings if they play guitar.
Guitar picks - you can get all sorts of funny ones with various print on them - or just plain good ones.
Various scrapbooking things if that's the recipient's hobby
Stickers
- or look up paper crafts online and see if there's some creative ideas that you can use.

fountainpenkid
March 16th, 2013, 06:48 AM
I sent someone a nib a couple days ago. I hope it goes to them O.K.

TheRoXFiles
March 16th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Those are some really great ideas, BikerBabe! :D

I was thinking about maybe digging out an instant camera I have and taking photos. But I dunno...if I were to include one picture in with each letter, would it make the trip to the recipient? I've never sent pictures through the mail, so I don't know how a single picture along with a letter will fare in the mail.

southpaw52
March 16th, 2013, 08:22 AM
I tuck in some blotter sample sheets.

TheRoXFiles
March 16th, 2013, 08:27 AM

I could've used some blotter sample sheets just yesterday...I was a bit messy with refilling John Smith (my TARDIS blue TWSBI Vac 700) and got a couple splotches of ink on my paper. Luckily for me, it was a bit of scrap paper anyway, but yeah...

I have this feeling that no matter how experienced I get with fountain pens, I'm always gonna be a little messy with them. I don't mind that, though--this is how my fountain pen experience is working out for me so far, and I don't mind a bit of ink on my fingers. Or a splotch or two of ink on a page, every once in a while. :P :)

chaimann
March 16th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Great list, BikerBabe!

It's also a good time to remind folks to fill out the "About Me" section of their profiles, so we know what you might enjoy.

A friend of mine sometimes includes flat sticks of gum (like Juicy Fruit) in letters. I was also thinking recipe cards might be fun.

caribbean_skye
March 16th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Ooh, look at the new stationery (http://www.moleskine.com/en/news/pastel-messages).

Those are neat, thanks for sharing. I especially like the ones that it's a an envelope and what looks like writing paper all together, wonder how much extra postage would be needed.

I was thinking about maybe digging out an instant camera I have and taking photos. But I dunno...if I were to include one picture in with each letter, would it make the trip to the recipient? I've never sent pictures through the mail, so I don't know how a single picture along with a letter will fare in the mail.

Photos make it thought fine. If you're concerned about bending, you can always write "DO NOT BEND, PHOTOS ENCLOSED" on the outside or just add some thin sheets of cardboard on either side of the photo to make it harder to bend. There is always the photo mailer envelopes which are made out of cardboard. I've mailed photos both ways and they've always reached their destination just fine.

Neat idea, I keep wondering if I would find blotter paper useful but I haven't decided to purchase any yet.

I have this feeling that no matter how experienced I get with fountain pens, I'm always gonna be a little messy with them. I don't mind that, though--this is how my fountain pen experience is working out for me so far, and I don't mind a bit of ink on my fingers. Or a splotch or two of ink on a page, every once in a while. :P :)

If you learn the trick to filling up your pens, no matter the filing system without getting messy please let me it on it. Somehow I always manage to get ink on my hands, ink just seems to like me.

Bikerbabe - that was some neat ideas. That could be cool for times like Valentines day and Christmas. One of the card groups I belong to they have monthly themes for sending ATC (artist trading cards) and if I had my card making supplies here I'd probably be doing things like that.

I was also thinking recipe cards might be fun.

Yeah, even cutouts from the local paper, especially if they do regional or local recipes as it's a good way to learn about someplace else and it gives you a new recipe to try out.

Trixie.in.Dixie
March 16th, 2013, 05:09 PM
I like the idea of sending something from a local paper or other publication if your recipient is in another country or even just a really different part of the same country! I am fascinated by any kind of modern artifacts from other people's home towns or countries. Small maps or public transport diagrams, small advertisements for local things, or flyers, or calendars - even souvenir type things that would fit flat in an envelope would be fun to me. I love to buy souvenirs even when I go to touristy places in my own town or state. Some of the postcards I have sent to folks so far have been from outings to local sights.

Cole
March 16th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Hi guys! This is my first post here! Just discovered this forum thanks to @gourmetpens!

I saw this post this afternoon and it motivated me to finish a post I've had in drafts about the enclosures that I actually use with my letter writing. They are all small, inexpensive and flat! Perfect for mailing.
Here is the link to the post.
(http://simplicityembellished.com/enclosures/)
Also, another post about an enclosure I sent (http://simplicityembellished.com/the-secrets-in-enclosures/) (a bracelet made with a special knot) and some words about actually including enclosures with your correspondence.

Humbly submitting those for your consideration. Hopefully you find something useful there!

Trixie.in.Dixie
March 16th, 2013, 09:00 PM
Thanks, Cole! This is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of. You have a lovely site and I have subscribed to the RSS feed as well.

caribbean_skye
March 16th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Hey Cole, welcome to FPN and thanks for sharing your website with us. I love the idea of sending something special each month, I'll have to think of something and your posts are very inspiring.

Toffer
March 17th, 2013, 04:42 AM
I really like the mini art prints! And the little fish are ace, haven't had one of those for ages, used to get them in Christmas crackers. Nice website Cole, I will be following.

Bogon07
March 18th, 2013, 02:43 AM
I rec'd a reply from the incomparable Mr Brian Gray with his Edison Pen Co drool-worthy bookmark. Those pens look like precious gems or luscious candies.

writingrav
March 18th, 2013, 10:55 AM
I rec'd a reply from the incomparable Mr Brian Gray with his Edison Pen Co drool-worthy bookmark. Those pens look like precious gems or luscious candies.

Yes, me too. Wonderful of him to take the time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Bogon07
March 18th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Yes, me too. Wonderful of him to take the time.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
And another nice touch was him using his artist proof Edison Nouveau Encore LE to write the letter.

caribbean_skye
March 21st, 2013, 09:01 PM

Oooh did someone say bookmark? I collect bookmarks and would love to see a photo of which one he sent you. That's awesome that he sent you a letter. I received one from Mr. Michael Sull and I think I'm going to frame the letter and envelope at some point in time.

Bogon07
March 21st, 2013, 10:08 PM
Oooh did someone say bookmark? I collect bookmarks and would love to see a photo of which one he sent you. That's awesome that he sent you a letter. I received one from Mr. Michael Sull and I think I'm going to frame the letter and envelope at some point in time.
I will try to remember over the weekend.
Even more miraculous was that it survived the transit without being creased or mangled.

Wow Michael Sull ..... that must display some nice writing ?

Cole
March 22nd, 2013, 04:08 PM
Thanks, Cole! This is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of. You have a lovely site and I have subscribed to the RSS feed as well.

<3 <3 <3

Cole
March 22nd, 2013, 04:08 PM
I really like the mini art prints! And the little fish are ace, haven't had one of those for ages, used to get them in Christmas crackers. Nice website Cole, I will be following.

Glad you liked!

Bogon07
March 22nd, 2013, 07:28 PM
Here it is along with the Goulet Pen Co one that came with LE Edison Nouveau Encore.

TheRoXFiles
March 22nd, 2013, 09:15 PM
Hi guys! This is my first post here! Just discovered this forum thanks to @gourmetpens!

I saw this post this afternoon and it motivated me to finish a post I've had in drafts about the enclosures that I actually use with my letter writing. They are all small, inexpensive and flat! Perfect for mailing.
Also, another post about an enclosure I sent (http://simplicityembellished.com/the-secrets-in-enclosures/) (a bracelet made with a special knot) and some words about actually including enclosures with your correspondence.

Humbly submitting those for your consideration. Hopefully you find something useful there!

Great ideas for tuck-ins! And I found an interesting relative to the fortune-telling fish. I can't wait to receive my supply of [them] in the mail and start including them in the letters I'll be sending out in the near future. :)

Struthious
March 23rd, 2013, 05:22 PM
I design stickers of characters, usually cute and a little edgy. Since I have to order them by the hundreds I always enjoy dropping them in envelopes, in the tip jar (with cash) at the coffee shop, etc. I love to get them printed on good materials, but I don't sell them and I certainly have no use for hundreds of stickers, so it's fun to share and a nice way to make a connection. Often mail friends ask what I've been up to, this is my way of sharing.

So far I've done buck toothed bunny, Payback Squirrel, and I'm waiting for the Grumpy Emperor to go to print in April.

Want one? Send me your address!

Sent from my mobile creativity (cell phone) device.

magnesium68
March 26th, 2013, 03:54 AM
I'm sending something with a Canadian historic value...Hope no one at the custom will steal "my precious" gift!

ullixx
March 28th, 2013, 11:58 PM
Once i saw stationary you could plant. It contained flower seeds and the receiver would have a pot with wildflowers, but i don't know about customs and seeds, if it's save to send.

caribbean_skye
March 29th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Bogon07 - Thanks for sharing, that is neat!

Barbara
March 30th, 2013, 08:55 PM

I love bookmarks. I bet unique ones would make a treasured tuck-in.
How about an article cut out of a local paper that you find particularly interesting?

Barbara
March 30th, 2013, 08:59 PM

This group is not going to be healthy for my wallet.

skyppere
March 31st, 2013, 10:40 AM
I make my own envelopes so sometimes I'll tuck in an envelope within an envelope. on occasion people have sent me their own homemade envelope inside, blank, for me to use.
I've also gotten ink cartridges, Origami, paper, and of course photos.
I think some people have an inferiority complex about how boring their lives are and who would want to know about my daily routines... so they get writers block. As for me the daily routines are
what I like! Sometimes people include recipies of something they made last night (alas, no samples, yet...)... pictures of their house, neighborhood, vacation, kids, pets, grand kids. They all
help round out the total picture of the person you're writing.
cheers
skyppere

chaimann
April 16th, 2013, 04:55 PM
A friendly reminder: Thursday, April 18 is "Poem In Your Pocket Day" (http://www.poets.org/page.php/prmID/406). Replace "pcoket" with "letter", and you have a great tuck-in idea.

Struthious
April 22nd, 2013, 06:55 AM
Daily routine or snapshot of a day in the life. Great idea. Maybe an unexpected exchange with a stranger, the coffee shop employee you know but don't really know, a cashier. Or a joke you liked during late night tv monologs.

Sent from my mobile creativity (cell phone) device.

jbb
April 22nd, 2013, 08:46 AM
Once i saw stationary you could plant. It contained flower seeds and the receiver would have a pot with wildflowers, but i don't know about customs and seeds, if it's save to send.
I was given some of that... paper permeated with wildflower seeds. It's a pretty cool idea. I didn't write on it, I just put it in the garden somewhere... I wonder if anything grew??? I've mailed dip pen nibs.

fiberdrunk
April 26th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Things I've put inside of envelopes: Ghirardelli chocolate squares (not in the summer, though!), bookmarks, seed packets, small turkey feathers, herbal tea packets, etc.

I like the earlier idea of putting an envelope inside and envelope.

tytoalba
April 26th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Ghirardelli, did I smell chocolate!
how about a tea bag?
a string of pretty buttons?

KrazyIvan
April 26th, 2013, 06:27 PM
I just sent some embossed envelope seals.

fncll
August 17th, 2013, 01:19 PM
This is exactly the question I was about to post. One thing I often include in letters is a small piece of origami...sadly, most models don't lie flat.

fncll
August 17th, 2013, 01:36 PM

The Fortune Telling Fish is a brilliant tuck-in. I'm totally stealing the idea! Your pen-pals are fortunate to have you...

earthdawn
August 17th, 2013, 04:57 PM
What an awesome thread !!!!

GREAT ideas !

Now I have to decide what ones to use.

Mod_wolves
August 18th, 2013, 01:50 AM
What could be a good idea is a variation on what they do in geocaching. Someone sends a letter with a small token like a stamp in, that person then puts the stamp in their next letter, and so in and so on. It would be interesting to see when if it ever arrives back.

This will probably be included in one of my letters.

Bohemond76
August 26th, 2013, 08:23 AM
vintage cigar band labels like these => http://www.pattyroberts.com/images/cigar_bands_1.jpg
they don't take up any space ;)

fncll
August 27th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Good idea! Though having finally given up the pipe I don't know if I can do another smoking hobby. Or any hobby!

migo984
January 2nd, 2014, 09:21 AM
I've got a few Snail Mail Pals in the US and Canada who are very into Dr Who, so I've sent them commemorative 50th anniversary Dr Who items produced by UK Royal Mail - such as a mint stamp featuring their favourite Doctor or alien (Cybermen & Daleks are the most popular!) and postcards featuring the Tardis etc.

VertOlive
January 3rd, 2014, 11:26 AM
Hmmm. I'm feeling challenged to step up my act! Just had a brainstorm...we'll see how it goes over with the first recipients.

Sending a little tuck-in that will have a word on one side and a hint at its meaning on the other. Sort of a "Word of the Day" game. I'm guessing everyoneone around here has some interest in words and language. Or wouldn't mind an interesting little picture...

schin
January 17th, 2014, 12:09 AM
An old penpal of mine used to include status and mood cards with her letters.. she would write things like 'currently feeling thoughtful', 'listening to The Beatles', 'currently reading Harry Potter' things like that. It made me really get to know what her mood is like when she's writing the letter!

LunaAzurina
January 22nd, 2014, 10:33 PM
Vhr5, what a wonderful list!

fncll
January 23rd, 2014, 08:10 AM
...a little tuck-in that will have a word on one side and a hint at its meaning on the other. Sort of a "Word of the Day" game. I'm guessing everyoneone around here has some interest in words and language. Or wouldn't mind an interesting little picture...

Great idea! I collect words (and terms of venery and other bits and bobs) in a notebook...why not share them?

fncll
January 23rd, 2014, 08:12 AM
An old penpal of mine used to include status and mood cards with her letters.. she would write things like 'currently feeling thoughtful', 'listening to The Beatles', 'currently reading Harry Potter' things like that. It made me really get to know what her mood is like when she's writing the letter!

I like this too. I sometimes include little pre-printed cards with prompts for things like this or lists of various kinds for the recipient to use at their pleasure, possibly in a future letter.

mtnbiker62
January 30th, 2014, 10:02 PM
I worked for a Space Shuttle contractor for 26 years, and I have a bunch of commemorative stickers that are replicas of the mission patches the astronauts designed and wore...I was thinking about putting those in as "tuck-ins", if they'll fit in an envelope. The boosters were made here in Utah, and I worked on most of the ones that flew into space...kind of a local flavor, of a sort.

ndw76
January 30th, 2014, 10:55 PM
I've included book marks from Goulet pen purchases and had the same sent back to me.

LunaAzurina
February 2nd, 2014, 01:01 PM
I spend an inordinate amount of time on conference calls at work. It's not conducive to simultaneously writing a letter, but it is conducive to coloring/ doodling. I enjoy playing with Spirograph and I think I'll send some of those! I have already sent my first three letters under InCoWriMo, but this one's going to be included in my 4th! 9547

Bogon07
February 2nd, 2014, 02:17 PM
I love Cedargirl's latest one. :angel:

Lbravo
February 9th, 2014, 12:31 PM
How about a fortune from a fortune cookie? I usually collect these and tape them to a page in my journal, but I just thought I should have saved the last batch to send!

cedargirl
February 9th, 2014, 08:16 PM
I think the origami is terrific - loved receiving mine. And bookmarks. But really, people shouldn't feel the need to include anything but kind words and a good story!

sherrylu
February 15th, 2014, 07:41 PM
Since InCoWriMo coincides with Valentine's Day (kinda), I've been tucking a few origami hearts in my letters!

VertOlive
February 15th, 2014, 09:51 PM
Some lucky few are getting leftover 1st grade "boy" valentines and Snoopy Love stickers.

And pink inks.

'Tis the season.

TerraNoir
February 16th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Well now this is a brilliant idea! The last of my letters will have some tuck ins! I am crafting some today!!

00Photo
February 16th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Somebody is getting two lamy safari nibs when the mail goes out monday. :D

TerraNoir
February 16th, 2014, 10:17 AM

Lucky lucky somebody!

inlovewithjournals
February 16th, 2014, 01:01 PM
I've been putting in pretty journal cards with quotes on them, and today I put a bookmark in one because the person collects them. :)

00Photo
February 17th, 2014, 07:54 AM

NEVERMIND.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2819/12589596335_6499722140.jpg

Dreck
February 17th, 2014, 08:56 AM

NEVERMIND.

She forgot the semicolon! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! ;)

>:-# No wonder my mailbox was the only one with the flag up this morning...

Sailor Kenshin
February 17th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Mine, too. I forgot.

Hmmm...do I slack off today, or pick someone at random?

inlovewithjournals
February 17th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Dreck I am a fellow grammar enthusiast. On Friday morning I walked into work and into the cafeteria for some tea. The lunch specials were written on a whiteboard. I tactfully told the lone gentleman working that "cannelloni" was spelled wrong (no e and only one l). He was very good about it and fixed it right away. I'm a technical editor and I simply can't help myself. I always worry about being thought rude but really most people are happy when I point out errors. Or at least that's what they say to my face LOL ;)

cwent2
February 17th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Dreck I am a fellow grammar enthusiast. On Friday morning I walked into work and into the cafeteria for some tea. The lunch specials were written on a whiteboard. I tactfully told the lone gentleman working that "cannelloni" was spelled wrong (no e and only one l). He was very good about it and fixed it right away. I'm a technical editor and I simply can't help myself. I always worry about being thought rude but really most people are happy when I point out errors. Or at least that's what they say to my face LOL ;)

Being corrected it fine and dandy - continual jokes about being vile not so much.

Just sayin'

The horse is dead - long live the horse.

Tracy Lee
February 17th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Mine, too. I forgot.

Hmmm...do I slack off today, or pick someone at random?

It's all about the writing, not the mailing, so no slacking for you!!! :-)

imaginerhetoric
February 17th, 2014, 10:31 AM
I've been putting in pretty journal cards with quotes on them, and today I put a bookmark in one because the person collects them. :)

Sorry to show my ignorance, but what is a "journal card"?

VertOlive
February 17th, 2014, 03:57 PM

NEVERMIND.

Yes, didn't you know? Everyone took the day off!

We've having Presidential Cake after the parade. We've got the Oval Office Tree decorated and the goose is roasting now. The neighbors are coming over to play pin the tail on the donkey/elephant and afterwards we'll sing patriotic songs.

I've written all my President's Day Cards and they're ready to post tomorrow.

:)

Bogon07
February 17th, 2014, 06:31 PM
Presidential Cake ?

Dad Of Sapling
February 17th, 2014, 07:16 PM
Did someone say cake?

inlovewithjournals
February 19th, 2014, 09:42 PM

Sorry to show my ignorance, but what is a "journal card"?

Imaginerhetoric sorry I didn't reply sooner. A Journal Card or Journal Tag is a smallish piece of cardstock decorated with words or images that can be written on and mounted in your journal. They are very popular with the scrapbooking and Project Life crowd (neither of which interest me) and I got two big packages of them for Christmas. I guess the author of a journal blog would love journal cards! I must say I don't put them in my journal so I've been at a loss for a use for them, until InCoWriMo and folks started talking about tuck-ins. They are perfect for quotes and hopefully people like them. If you google images for journal cards you will see hundreds of examples. :)

LunaAzurina
February 27th, 2014, 08:18 PM

NEVERMIND.

Yay! That person was me! What a great letter. Thank you! I will go you tube how to change a nib now...

Sasha.deane
October 7th, 2014, 07:56 AM
Check out this video:
12 Things to Send to Your Pen Pal
http://youtu.be/k_WOkz_vO4c

sharmon202
October 19th, 2014, 08:08 AM
This was a very interesting video! Short & sweet, thanks!

Check out this video:
12 Things to Send to Your Pen Pal
http://youtu.be/k_WOkz_vO4c

AllyVallyGurl
May 5th, 2015, 03:55 AM
Here's a few ideas I had come up with

A signed playing card with my name and country and date
Bookmark
American Coins/dollar bills
Sheet of stickers
Article in the paper about where you live (especially if it's like on THEIR birthday or YOUR birthday or other special occasion)
Comic strip
Cocoa Packet
Tea Packet
Instant Coffee (like MIA) Packet
Seeds Packet of like their favorite flowers, herbs, etc.
Sports Card of favorite players
Ice cream sticks that have jokes written on them... I think like Fudgesicles (?)
Paper Buildables (ones that come on like a sheet of card stock that you assemble yourself). I got some for free from ComicCon here a few years ago, and sent some to friends.

An interesting idea, and I honestly don't know HOW it managed, but one friend from the UK packed her letter to me Like a Package, with string wrapped around the letter, and tied it with a Keychain from London attached. I was amazed that the USPS would allow it, but it ended up in my box.

Morgaine
May 11th, 2015, 04:22 PM
I keep cutting things out of the newspapers thinking they'd be interesting to send to the right penpals. Got a couple of folders full.... mainly silly/humorous articles.

Bogon07
May 11th, 2015, 06:32 PM
I keep cutting things out of the newspapers thinking they'd be interesting to send to the right penpals. Got a couple of folders full.... mainly silly/humorous articles.

I do that too. I have to remember to check the reverse side of the clippings to make sure there isn't anything inappropriate.

migo984
May 11th, 2015, 08:32 PM

I do that too. I have to remember to check the reverse side of the clippings to make sure there isn't anything inappropriate.

Your clipping of the "spider in a multi-coloured beanie" was brilliant! It's a keeper for my Travel Journal :)

VertOlive
April 10th, 2016, 12:12 AM
I found a kit for a paper "fishmobile" at Goodwill, so some folks are getting little fish sculptures, sent out some Monopoly money, and stickers for various sorts of firearms and coffee...

VertOlive
October 20th, 2016, 07:03 AM
Lately sent: crime scene investigation form, absurdly bad polaroid photo of my dog, and a toe tag from the morgue (unused).

penwash
October 20th, 2016, 07:53 AM
Thank you for resurrecting this wonderful thread. I read it cover-to-cover, neat ideas.

(We had more members back in 2014, wonder where they are now...?)

mgmmaze
October 20th, 2016, 02:59 PM
Thank you for resurrecting this wonderful thread. I read it cover-to-cover, neat ideas.

I wonder if they know if the forum was up. I remember when the site fpgeeks went down. I thought everything went down so i never signed up to the forum. Then last incowrimo someone posted a thread to fourm and thats how I found it is still running.

penwash
October 20th, 2016, 03:25 PM

I wonder if they know if the forum was up. I remember when the site fpgeeks went down. I thought everything went down so i never signed up to the forum. Then last incowrimo someone posted a thread to fourm and thats how I found it is still running.

Well that makes sense.
I wonder if there is a desire to send an email to all inactive members to tell them the site is still alive.

Morgaine
October 21st, 2016, 12:15 PM
Or, send them a postcard (some addresses should be still valid in the google docs - links somewhere in the inco threads)? There is plenty of mention on the incowrimo 2015 list of the "Did you correspond today?" thread and this forum in general. As for 2017, plans are afoot (not organised by me).

ThriveToScribe
November 8th, 2016, 02:14 AM

I think this is a wonderful idea because I found an old email and clicked on it, and was glad to see you're there! I've been inactive and now I will keep an eye open for future emailings. :lazy::lazy::lazy:

~~~ "Sent from the iPhone of Madame X."[/COLOR]

frmamede
November 14th, 2016, 06:52 PM
Well, I Know it has been sugested by others but I should emphasize: Bookmarks! I love them! Would be really nice to get one with the mail.
Also, don't remember seeing any suggestions about ink cartridges. Is it too risky?
Little fridge magnets should also be fun! Keychains would also work, depending on the build and the sending envelope.

lady in red
November 16th, 2016, 10:45 AM
maybe a home made Christmas ornament if they are not jewish I mean . I stick in homemade book marks , stickers , sticky notes , you know lil silly thing sometimes . someone sent me a miniature flamingo and I love that thing and still have it today .

bottledheart
November 19th, 2016, 03:52 AM
Does anyone else do mail tags? (http://www.mailmadeeasyshop.com/2015/09/mail-tag.html)
I've found myself getting quite scrapbook-y/creative with replying to the questions.

Morgaine
November 19th, 2016, 02:25 PM
I noticed some of those mail-tag questions have come up in Five Questions, Answer by SnailMail (over on A World of Snail Mail).

ChristyOTwisty
March 5th, 2017, 12:43 PM
Where applicable, for my 'perennial' pen pals, I'd photocopied 'Judgmental Maps (http://judgmentalmaps.com)' of my city and their city, pinpointed on ink the judged area I live, and asked them to return their city's map with their judged area pinpointed in ink. Some people received spatial logic puzzles, photocopies of a reprint Duncan Hines cookbook, or photocopies of Lynda Barry comics.

Morgaine
January 25th, 2019, 06:43 PM

Good grief, I still have a couple of folders full or even fuller. I keep forgetting to use them!

FredRydr
January 27th, 2019, 01:26 PM
Cash is always well received.

Chrissy
January 27th, 2019, 02:13 PM
However, coins weigh heavy. :pound:

VertOlive
January 27th, 2019, 02:38 PM
Tuck-ins for InCo 2019: 3 x 5" maps of the US showing my city (mainly for overseas addressees), bookmarks from the reading drive at the county library, Rodeo tickets, my own "calling card", Latin vocabulary flashcards, postcards, and Word of the Day drawings.

FredRydr
January 27th, 2019, 05:13 PM
On a serious note, it no longer surprises me when I get a Postcrossing (https://www.postcrossing.com) assignment for someone in Russia or Eastern Europe who requests that the postcard be placed in an envelope...with coins! The postage expense would be more than the value of the coins. I prefer to go along with the requests for a tea bag (though I don't know what their customs people make of it).

Morgaine
January 28th, 2019, 03:22 PM
On a serious note, it no longer surprises me when I get a Postcrossing (https://www.postcrossing.com) assignment for someone in Russia or Eastern Europe who requests that the postcard be placed in an envelope...with coins! The postage expense would be more than the value of the coins. I prefer to go along with the requests for a tea bag (though I don't know what their customs people make of it).

I caved in once and sent a 5p coin. I can't recall to which country, perhaps former USSR.

Morgaine
January 28th, 2019, 03:23 PM

Would talking about Johnny Cash count?

VertOlive
January 28th, 2019, 07:11 PM

I still have some Johnny Cash forever stamps for such occasions!

FredRydr
February 14th, 2019, 05:57 PM
This Red Envelope with làih sih money (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_envelope) "tuck-in" arrived today from a fellow Geek!

Chrissy
February 15th, 2019, 02:15 AM
I know that Geek, and I received a similar red envelope yesterday too. Thank you. :thank_you2: :)

Chrissy
February 15th, 2019, 02:17 AM

I still have some Johnny Cash forever stamps for such occasions!
Can they still be purchased as current stamps?

MadameX
February 15th, 2019, 02:26 AM
You could take it to the Post Office and ask them to hand stamp the letter. However, there is a surcharge for that that USED to be nominal but has probably gone up.

FredRydr
February 19th, 2019, 03:57 AM
You could take it to the Post Office and ask them to hand stamp the letter. However, there is a surcharge for that that USED to be nominal but has probably gone up.
What country is that?
I regularly have US post offices frank envelopes by hand to ensure there are legible inked dates on the envelopes to establish dates of mailing of legal and tax documents, and I have never been charged an extra fee.

Chrissy
February 19th, 2019, 04:03 AM
What country is that?
I regularly have US post offices frank envelopes by hand to ensure there are legible inked dates on the envelopes to establish dates of mailing of legal and tax documents, and I have never been charged an extra fee.

I must admit I wasn't sure what country it was either. However, I'm sure I can't take any Johnny Cash Forever stamps to my Post Office and ask that they be hand stamped. :pound:

VertOlive
February 19th, 2019, 06:45 PM
Can they still be purchased as current stamps?

Right here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Johnny-Cash-2013-Stamps/183687574947?hash=item2ac4a1f5a3:g:LTMAAOSwySZb7lz M:rk:10:pf:0 :cool:

Morgaine
February 24th, 2019, 07:47 AM
I keep forgetting to put in newspaper clippings - I have quite a stash I've snipped out intending to enclose...

ThriveToScribe
August 4th, 2019, 03:12 AM
The local USPS stations USED to stamp local mail but now they have to charge for everything that's listed in their rules. In country towns, I think the employees were being nice or were substitutes who didn't know the policy.