PDA

View Full Version : SOLD Omas Milord Bronze Arco Celluloid

mandrbeck
December 8th, 2016, 01:36 PM
1. Omas Milord Bronze Arco Celluloid Broad Nib. I bought this from Stephen Brown. If you look on his site you can actually see his review of this pen. It has a slight bend in the nib that does not affect the writing. I'm not sure how it happened, only that it happened before I got it. The broad nib is a very wet writer. I actually have two of these, so I will sell this one to prepare for Christmas. If the look of the nib bothers you, Stephen assured me it could be fixed. I agree with that assessment. I was going to keep it and have the nib stubbed, but I like my fine nib better. Because of the little bend, I'm selling this at a discount. I also noticed the bottom does not quite line up with the body. That may be a deal breaker for those looking for the absolute perfect Arco, but it never bothered me. It's a gorgeous pen.

It appears this pen was given too much pressure and the nib was "sprung". I assumed it was dropped, but that is not the case.

$735 shipped CONUS.

Adjusted price for cheaper shipping option. Will not come with box. Just Omas sleeve.

For parties interested in the cost of nib repair. I messaged both Dan Smith and Pendleton Brown. They both agreed it can be straightened but will never look like a new nib. The cost for Pendleton is $35 plus shipping and for Dan is $60-90. I'm still waiting to hear from Nibs.com. **Nibs was unable to provide a quote without having it on hand, but said it should be fixable. I personally think this nib would be awesome with a BLS grind and am considering doing this and keeping it.

H.F. GRAF VON HOCHBERG
December 8th, 2016, 02:49 PM
400$??

mandrbeck
December 8th, 2016, 04:36 PM
400$??
Please send all offers via PM. Im open to reasonable offers, but not ridiculous offers. Im going to assume this offer was a typo.

mandrbeck
December 10th, 2016, 10:32 AM
I would consider a partial trade for a Visconti HomoSapiens Bronze or Dark Age, or 1:1 for a Pelikan M800 Brown Tortoise. Those are the only pens I will consider at this time.

mandrbeck
December 10th, 2016, 10:33 AM
The price is firm at $775 shipped CONUS.

mandrbeck
December 10th, 2016, 03:37 PM
Adjusted price for cheaper shipping option. $750 is absolute bottom line.

mandrbeck
December 12th, 2016, 08:28 AM
Updated info about nib repair.

s_t_e_v_e
December 12th, 2016, 09:02 AM
Ouch, that nib looks pretty beat-up, probably an unfortunate result of trying to flex a modern nib that was never meant to be pushed at all.

mandrbeck
December 12th, 2016, 09:31 AM
I do not think it looks beat up at all. I suspect it was dropped. The original owner is a fountain pen expert, so I can't imagine negligence was the cause. Of course I never asked. It still writes wonderfully. It's only a cosmetic problem.

mulrich
December 12th, 2016, 07:12 PM
I don't remember what he says but Brown talks about the nib repair in his video review.

mandrbeck
December 13th, 2016, 05:14 AM
It appears Mr Brown did "spring" the nib by applying too much pressure. I assumed incorrectly. Either way, it writes beautifully and can be repaired for a small fee (hence the discounted price). If the pen does not sell soon, i will have Dan Smith fix it and give it a nice customization. After that I might keep it or I might decide to sell it at a higher price.

vPro
December 13th, 2016, 05:59 AM
A sprung nib would not have such wave-shaped profile when seen from the side. I think you're right about your first assumption of it being dropped.

Brilliant Bill
December 13th, 2016, 07:11 AM
Calling Brown an "expert" seems more credit than he deserves. From my viewing of his videos, he's just an ordinary fountain pen user publishing his opinions. Because of that he's seen more fountain pens than most users, but that doesn't make him an expert. You want an expert, go to Binder or any number of people with that level experience.

mandrbeck
December 13th, 2016, 07:26 AM
Calling Brown an "expert" seems more credit than he deserves. From my viewing of his videos, he's just an ordinary fountain pen user publishing his opinions. Because of that he's seen more fountain pens than most users, but that doesn't make him an expert. You want an expert, go to Binder or any number of people with that level experience.

You may be right. I might be giving him more credit than he deserves. Of course his knowledge doesn't affect the pen's performance. I'd like for this thread to stay a sale thread and not a debate on Stephen Brown. Thank you.

mandrbeck
December 15th, 2016, 07:40 AM
Last call for this gorgeous pen. If it doesn't sell by the weekend, I'm keeping it and sending it off for an architect grind.

mandrbeck
December 15th, 2016, 10:30 AM
$735. I can't believe I'm selling this so cheap. Even if you send it for repair or customization you are still walking away paying less than the typical going rate for this pen.

H.F. GRAF VON HOCHBERG
December 15th, 2016, 12:08 PM
Expensive pen and expensive problems:)