PDA

View Full Version : Franklin SIG nibs

Woody
December 11th, 2016, 10:03 AM
Franklin Christoph now has a SIG nib. SIG stands for stub, italic, gradient. I'm told this is basically a smoothed out stub. I happen to smooth out the corners on my 1.1 steel nibs. Does anyone have any experience yet with the SIG nibs? It sounds like a great idea.

Jon Szanto
December 11th, 2016, 10:06 AM
Not first hand, but everyone I've seen write about it likes it. I think it does what it says it does.

earthdawn
December 11th, 2016, 10:08 AM
Yes I do.

I got one from Jim at the Triangle Pen Show and it is just what you said.

Basically a stub that has smoothed corners. It does not keep as dramatic line difference as a formal cursive italic but offers plenty of variation. Being a smoothed on the edges and less sharp all around you can write without catching the paper. I think it is a great nib that lets you get 1 step closer to a cursive italic.

migo984
December 11th, 2016, 10:19 AM
I have used the fine and broad SIGs and like them both. Even the fine offers good variation. I'm not a cursive italic fan, so this goes just far enough for me.

Lady Onogaro
December 11th, 2016, 02:03 PM
I bought a medium SIG nib at the Dallas Pen Show, and it is a favorite now. I think it's probably the smoothest writer I have, as far as italic nibs. I like the line variation very much, even though I am usually founder of fine point nibs.

kevmid
December 11th, 2016, 05:46 PM
They are also my favorite nibs having struggled a bit with italics. I use fine, medium and broad SIGs and find them forgiving and easy to write with.

As said above, not as line varied or catchy as italics but I don't find them a compromise between nibs, rather an advantage. Worth a try :thumb: