PDA

View Full Version : Boheme problem - fix?

FredRydr
December 12th, 2016, 11:49 AM
I've never been a big fan of safety pens, but five years ago I bought a sterling Boheme with retracting nib. While writing, the knob with posted cap all-too-easily rotates and the nib retracts. There is a very slight detent, but it cannot keep the nib from retracting if there's any pressure at all on the posted cap.

Has anyone disassembled one of these pens and can share what might be the fix for this? I'd rather keep Montblanc's service center as the last resort.

Fred

FredRydr
December 12th, 2016, 02:46 PM
Okay, guess who was impatient and gripped the section simply twisted it off? :)

So...the metal section screws out of the barrel on very fine threads, and here is the simple device that "holds" the nib in place. The soft plastic piece (middle) has a raised ring molded into the surface that slides into a groove on the inside of the metal section. That ring is insufficient to effect a solid detent.

I found one person in an FPN thread who paid $85 to Montblanc for this service eight years ago. Today, my MB boutique won't estimate a repair in advance, which is understandable. I cannot see how the part can be fabricated. I'll likely send the pen to Montblanc.

Fred

Chrissy
December 12th, 2016, 03:12 PM
I fear that I'm going to have to have a similar service too. The clip on my Boheme cap doesn't line up with the nib any more, and it irritates me when I'm trying to write.

I'm aware that there was an old fix on FPN, but that no longer works because the clip is no longer held in place by a screw with a slotted head. Instead it is a rounded indent with many small indentations that I assume Montblanc have a tool for.

datainadequate
December 12th, 2016, 03:17 PM
I'm aware that there was an old fix on FPN, but that no longer works because the clip is no longer held in place by a screw with a slotted head. Instead it is a rounded indent with many small indentations that I assume Montblanc have a tool for.

Is it a Torx? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx

Chrissy
December 12th, 2016, 03:43 PM

Is it a Torx? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx
I'm not 100% sure. If I look inside my Boheme cap, I see a circular shaped metal 'hole' with lots of indented 'pimples.' For the external image, imagine a cross section of a hollow semicircle that has a perfect rash of bumps all over it from the inside. It's the weirdest shape I've ever seen inside a pen cap. I don't think Montblanc want people tinkering about with them.

I've mentioned it to someone in a boutique, and they say there is a special tool for the job.

FredRydr
December 12th, 2016, 04:16 PM

Here's the inside of my Boheme's cap. When the pen is capped, the center pin abuts a flat surface on the feed, making sure the cap cannot be screwed on unless the nib is fully retracted. I can see why a special tool had to be fabricated to deal with the pin's placement.

Fred

datainadequate
December 13th, 2016, 02:00 PM
Ingenious. Just not very good for end-user-maintenance :(

Chrissy
December 13th, 2016, 04:19 PM

Here's the inside of my Boheme's cap. When the pen is capped, the center pin abuts a flat surface on the feed, making sure the cap cannot be screwed on unless the nib is fully retracted. I can see why a special tool had to be fabricated to deal with the pin's placement.

Fred
That's the one that can be unscrewed with a screwdriver that has a hole in the middle, that the pin fits into. The inside of my cap isn't exactly like that. I'll try and get a picture of the inside of my cap.