PDA

View Full Version : Who should do my nib repair?

mandrbeck
December 13th, 2016, 07:41 AM
Hello. I have an Omas Milord Arco Celluloid that has an unfortunate wave in the nib. It does not affect the performance, but since I want to have the nib customized, I think I will get it straightened as well. As I mentioned in my classified for this pen, I received the pen like this. I assume the original owner dropped it, but I'm not 100% certain. But please don't debate that. I would like to know opinions on who does great nib work. I have worked with John at Nibs, Dan Smith, and Pendleton Brown, and they are all fantastic to work with and all did great work. I am debating between a stub and an architect grind. If I go with Pendleton it would be a BLS. Please let me know who you recommend and why. Thank you.

jar
December 13th, 2016, 08:07 AM
Send them pictures and ask them if they can do what you want. You've already worked with all three so just go by the answers you receive.

mandrbeck
December 13th, 2016, 08:18 AM
I did. They all seem confident they can do it. I guess I should ask, is there anyone else I should consider and has anyone had a nib repaired with either of these three?

jar
December 13th, 2016, 08:40 AM
Of the three John has likely done the most and since nibs was a official repair place for Omas pens he might be the one most likely to get it right. But costs and time are also relevant.

Most reputable pen repair folk should be able to do what you want done so I would also check with Danny Fudge and the good folk at Pendemonium.

Jon Szanto
December 13th, 2016, 09:49 AM
A notable omission from the list, at this point, is Mike Masuyama. Again, possibly a longer wait time, but years of experience. Frankly, there are a number of people that are good at grinding these days, but I'm not certain that they all have a lot of experience with tasks like smoothing that nib out, which requires a bit more experience and certain tools. I'd give that good consideration, and might lean towards John or Mike.

mandrbeck
December 13th, 2016, 10:02 AM
I don't know how I forgot about him! I haven't worked with him, but his reputation is impeccable. I will email him. Thank you.

mandrbeck
December 16th, 2016, 05:41 PM
I've decided to have Masuyama do the repair and the stub. I think it will turn out very well.

Robert
December 16th, 2016, 06:43 PM
I've decided to have Masuyama do the repair and the stub. I think it will turn out very well.

Without any disrespect to the others on your list (two of whom have done excellent work for me), I think Mike is an excellent choice - he brought my MB 149 back from the grave. Your Arco will be in the hands of a master. Please let us know your thoughts once you have the pen back.

mulrich
December 16th, 2016, 08:13 PM
If you don't care about a custom nib you may be better off just buying an Omas nib from nibs.com, especially if you just plan to sell the pen. They still have a decent stock and it might be cheaper than a custom repair.

mandrbeck
December 17th, 2016, 04:59 AM
I'm actually planning on keeping it. I have a second identical pen that is brand new. If I sell one, it will be that one. I love Masuyama's work and I think the broad stub will be incredible. I thought about buying a new nib, but it's actually significantly more expensive. $236 for the nib + 30 to set it + shipping cost to get them the pen. And if Mottishaw is going to work on my nib I would have to get it customized. He's a genius. Masuyama is doing the repair and the stub for less than $100.

mandrbeck
December 17th, 2016, 04:59 AM

Without any disrespect to the others on your list (two of whom have done excellent work for me), I think Mike is an excellent choice - he brought my MB 149 back from the grave. Your Arco will be in the hands of a master. Please let us know your thoughts once you have the pen back.

I will be sure to post some pics of the nib and a writing sample.

oldstoat
December 18th, 2016, 06:28 AM
I will be sure to post some pics of the nib and a writing sample.

Before and after writing samples would be good

Woody
December 29th, 2016, 07:16 PM
Dan Smith is good. I'm late to the party but I'd keep the pen for myself.

Mags
December 30th, 2016, 04:53 AM
Plus one vote for Mike, Dan, Richard Binder, I think Brian Anderson is doing some work like this too......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

View from the Loft
December 30th, 2016, 05:21 AM
Plus one vote for Mike, Dan, Richard Binder, I think Brian Anderson is doing some work like this too......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Richard Binder has not been doing any work other than at shows for possibly a couple of years now.

Mags
January 4th, 2017, 02:44 AM
Yes seeing Richard at a show is your only way to get him to do work. IndyPens has Binder trained nib Meisters also I think.

If it needs adjusting, the person to contact is Linda Kennedy <www.indy-pen-dance.com>. I trained Linda, and she's very good. Per Richard Binder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk