PDA

View Full Version : Again?

fountainpenkid
December 15th, 2016, 10:25 AM
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2072772343/piuma-super-minimal-titanium-brass-and-aluminum-fo?ref=nav_search
Ecce! There's this new, revolutionary, state-of-the-art pen now on kickstarter. (It's actually just another 'minimalist' all-metal cigar-shaped pen.) More power to them for giving us all more options, but this seems awfully similar to the Namisu pens. Thoughts?

KrazyIvan
December 15th, 2016, 10:55 AM
I own the Namisu Orion and it does not match this one. It does not really look like the Nova either. The Nova looks like a Nakaya or Edison Pearle to me. I thought Fisher Space Pen when the image popped up. Just bigger?

jar
December 15th, 2016, 10:56 AM
Boring, uninteresting, poor choice of body materials, silly nib. Other than that it's okay.

fountainpenkid
December 15th, 2016, 11:04 AM
I own the Namisu Orion and it does not match this one. It does not really look like the Nova either. The Nova looks like a Nakaya or Edison Pearle to me. I thought Fisher Space Pen when the image popped up. Just bigger?

I forgot about the Orion--it is quite different now that I look at it. But while the Nova and the Piuma have different ends, they seem to have similar threads, section steps and overall design aesthetic. I actually think the Piuma might look better capped (I've always loved the space pen), but the section design seems a bit at odds with the super-minimalist look when capped.

fountainpenkid
December 15th, 2016, 11:05 AM
Boring, uninteresting, poor choice of body materials, silly nib. Other than that it's okay.

What's silly about the nib?

jar
December 15th, 2016, 11:09 AM

Anodized steel in EF, M or B? And no indication the makers have a clue about what makes a nib work, just stock nibs. Sorry. I wish them well but that is simply not something that would in anyway convince me to invest.

Hawk
December 15th, 2016, 11:27 AM
Minimalist design has no character. To me, a penneeds to have something'. Without a clip or flat spot, I would be worried that the pen would roll of of the desk when not in use. Obviously not a pocket pen.

penwash
December 15th, 2016, 04:27 PM

Anodized steel in EF, M or B? And no indication the makers have a clue about what makes a nib work, just stock nibs. Sorry. I wish them well but that is simply not something that would in anyway convince me to invest.

The nib is from Bock.

"It is equipped with a German-made (Bock) stainless steel nib."

But I agree with your overall impression. Plus a metal super smooth body is an invitation for both gravity and dings.

jar
December 15th, 2016, 04:33 PM

The nib is from Bock.

"It is equipped with a German-made (Bock) stainless steel nib."

I read that. I wonder what they copy-pasted from?

TSherbs
December 15th, 2016, 05:07 PM
meh

Sandy Fry
December 16th, 2016, 04:54 AM
Thought it was a Fisher Space Pen for a moment!

Will give it a miss. Not interesting enough for me.

David

RocketRyan
December 16th, 2016, 06:31 AM
I quite like them, but then I have nothing similar.
Price is OK too cheaper than a sheaffer prelude if you back the project.
And can't be worse than everykey which I backed 2 years ago and still haven't received my key...

fountainpenkid
December 16th, 2016, 08:29 AM
What most surprises me is how the supposed projects of these people/companies--to create something totally "new" and fresh--don't really line up with what they're actually doing: machining three parts and sticking a bock nib in--it just seems to lack ambition. Often the creators don't have much experience with fountain pens.

penwash
December 16th, 2016, 09:04 AM
What most surprises me is how the supposed projects of these people/companies--to create something totally "new" and fresh--don't really line up with what they're actually doing: machining three parts and sticking a bock nib in--it just seems to lack ambition. Often the creators don't have much experience with fountain pens.

I think it's because they are influenced by each other, and the whole EDC concept that the younger generation seems to be so attached to.

You are correct though, I was surprised to learn that some people who make (or aspire to make) fountain pens have almost no knowledge of fountain pen history.
Without any knowledge, how can appreciation grow? I wonder.