PDA

View Full Version : Envelope Punch Board

southpaw52
December 25th, 2016, 12:37 PM
I m not overly craft oriented, I did by a punch board to make envelopes. The first attempts were a disaster. Until I realized I was using the wrong paper size. Where do you find the square sized paper to make your envelopes? Or is there another way?

migo984
December 25th, 2016, 02:32 PM
I m not overly craft oriented, I did by a punch board to make envelopes. The first attempts were a disaster. Until I realized I was using the wrong paper size. Where do you find the square sized paper to make your envelopes? Or is there another way?

I use all kinds of papers. Recycled calendars & other large printed matter are good sources. For new papers, try scrapbooking paper sheets or pads (e.g. 8" x 8" or 12" x 12") from craft shops, ebay, etsy or other online sources. Best to get the lighter weight papers rather than thicker cardstock. Or try wrapping paper sheets or rolls & cut to size.

VertOlive
December 25th, 2016, 10:11 PM
My punch board lists varying sizes of paper and the resulting size envelope they yield.

I have an inexpensive Cricut paper cutter which I use to cut my paper to the exact dimensions I need.

When I don't feel like doing all that, I have a cardboard pattern made from a real envelope's dimensions which I simply trace onto my paper, cut out, and glue.

Chrissy
December 26th, 2016, 12:47 AM
I buy my square paper from Hobby Lobby. They have many different books of patterned paper that is suitable for making envelopes, and they aren't expensive. Especially when you search for a coupon, before you go, that will give you discount.

Otherwise I use paper from magazines or calendars.

I also have made cardboard templates from envelopes that I have received for when I don't want to make square envelopes.

VegHead
December 26th, 2016, 02:10 AM
Well dummy here had to Google what you lot are talking about . . . Liked what I saw and ordered one! And it was on special at half price with free postage.

Pharmasweaves
December 26th, 2016, 07:04 AM
I bought one a while back, but only used it like 3 times or so. I found it easier to download an A4 envelope template and paste it to a sheet of paper. I'm not even sure I could find it if I tried. If I do find it, I'll probably sell or get rid of it.

Jon Szanto
December 26th, 2016, 11:35 AM
I'm not entirely sure if it is the same thing ("punch board"), but last year I picked up an envelope template guide from somewhere - isellpens.com, I think. It has 4 sizes of envelopes that you trace on paper and then cut out and glue. There is also a small art supply store near us that has these cool packs of papers, big random assortments of stuff for about $10, very colorful and varied in materials and texture. The only thing is that sometimes I have to make an additional 'label' for the address, otherwise, it would be hard to see (I *do* want the letter to get there!). When I have the time (and hell, let's be honest, my correspondence track record is pretty bad already!), it really is fun to make an envelope.

ambimom
December 26th, 2016, 12:58 PM
The envelope punch board and its cousin the box punch board are fantastic but they must be used in conjunction with a paper trimmer. There are hundreds of youtube videos on how to get the paper trimmed to size to fit these punch boards. Serious crafters invest in 12x12 paper and cut it down to size. That's the standard size for scrapbooks. However, you can use whatever paper: grocery bags, computer paper, copy paper, notebook paper. You just have to use the paper trimmer to get the correct dimensions to fold envelopes or make boxes.

Martha Stewart brand makes a nice trimmer; Westcott makes a trimmer, Staples has its own brand of trimmer. Get one with a ruler that fans out.

If you buy a tape runner to seal them shut (Staples make the best tape runner, imho) you'll never have to buy another envelope in your life! LOL

Jon Szanto
December 26th, 2016, 01:13 PM
The envelope punch board and its cousin the box punch board are fantastic but they must be used in conjunction with a paper trimmer. There are hundreds of youtube videos on how to get the paper trimmed to size to fit these punch boards. Serious crafters invest in 12x12 paper and cut it down to size. That's the standard size for scrapbooks. However, you can use whatever paper: grocery bags, computer paper, copy paper, notebook paper. You just have to use the paper trimmer to get the correct dimensions to fold envelopes or make boxes.

Martha Stewart brand makes a nice trimmer; Westcott makes a trimmer, Staples has its own brand of trimmer. Get one with a ruler that fans out.

If you buy a tape runner to seal them shut (Staples make the best tape runner, imho) you'll never have to buy another envelope in your life! LOL

Sounds complicated and a lot of work, just the thing to put obstacles in my path. I'll go take a look, though.

The thing I got (was from JetPens.com, sorry) is a Handmade Envelope Template (http://http://www.jetpens.com/Kuretake-Handmade-Envelope-Template-Western-Version/pd/9223). Looks like this:

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_mall/komamono-honpo/cabinet/174/sbtp12-19.jpg

Chrissy
December 26th, 2016, 03:20 PM

+1 for tape runners. I wouldn't be without mine. The permanent tape ones are the best way of sticking envelopes together.

FredRydr
December 27th, 2016, 06:42 AM
I never heard of these devices until I read this thread. But what would I do with the thousands of plain envelopes I have in my office closet, not to mention my vintage airmail envelopes?

Fred

Sailor Kenshin
December 27th, 2016, 07:53 AM
I never heard of these devices until I read this thread. But what would I do with the thousands of plain envelopes I have in my office closet, not to mention my vintage airmail envelopes?

Fred

Use them. Add washi tape if needed. ;)

Chrissy
December 27th, 2016, 08:03 AM

Fred

Vintage airmail envelopes? They sound interesting :) I bet there are people who would buy some from you. :bounce:

FredRydr
December 27th, 2016, 08:16 AM
eBay and etsy have lots. And our own jbb (https://www.etsy.com/shop/JBBPensPaper?ref=l2-shopheader-name) will have them, too.

Fred

Pharmasweaves
December 27th, 2016, 03:35 PM
I never heard of these devices until I read this thread. But what would I do with the thousands of plain envelopes I have in my office closet...?

I draw on my plain envelopes. I tried to make all my envelopes for a while, but it started taking way too long, so I just gave up and started drawing. I predominantly use just a compass and straight-edge, and as many come out pretty good, as pretty bad.

southpaw52
December 28th, 2016, 01:56 PM
I bought a pad of 8X8 paper from Hobby Lobby. I was successful in making my first envelope. After I figured it out, it is fun to make my own envelope(s). Adds a bit of class to my letters.

Thanks everyone for your ideas and suggestions.

Morgaine
January 2nd, 2017, 11:58 AM
I was introduced to the We R Memory Keepers envelope board by some InCoWriMo peeps.

I buy 12 x 12 (or sometimes 8 x 8) scrapbooking paper, but I cut it down to size using a stiff metal ruler and a craft knife. I also cut other sourced paper to square for making envelopes with.

Morgaine
October 8th, 2017, 03:57 PM
Came across a couple of useful calculators for envelope sizes not included on the punchboard:

http://www.thecraftyowl.co.uk/EnvelopeExpert/ and http://crafterskey.blogspot.co.uk/p/calculator.html