PDA

View Full Version : wanted to buy: Montblanc 149, EF / XXF, '60S - '70S

jsph
December 29th, 2016, 10:20 AM
wanted to buy: montblanc 149, extra-fine / xxf nib, late '60s / early '70s, in good working order (to be daily writer) and with original parts (solid ebonite feed, plastic piston threads, one-piece body construction)

----------
[ http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...f-xxf-60s-70s/ ]
----------

more specifically:

montblanc 149 from ~1973 (late '60s / early to mid '70s, most likely 1973 - 1975) with all original parts

feed
one-piece/solid ebonite feed, not split

nib
true extra-fine or extra-extra-fine
14c ; maybe an 18c, depending on specific age, condition, tip width, etc
preferably two-tone (14c)
sexy thin long legs -- er, i mean, uh, tines, long tines -- with narrow shoulders
-- or the more triangular (french?) three-tone style you see on some 18c late '60s / early '70s nibs
soft enough for some natural line variation (i.e., not a nail), but don't need real flex / semi-flex
smooth writer and not limited to small/weird sweet spots to write properly
well-aligned tines and no other problems or past damage
if it also writes (presumably a finer line) with the section side up / nib down, then... wow.

body
one-piece barrel/section (i.e., no seam between section threads and body; likewise, no rim of matte black plastic between section and nib, from the modern nib/feed unit)
filling
plastic piston threads, not modern brass
fills // advances/retracts smoothly and easily

flow
relatively dry writer much preferred over a juicy wet writer (*)
-- but "dry" doesn't mean "skips and doesn't feed" or only feeds when writing very slowly
other mechanicals / structurals
cap fits and screws on / seals properly and tight
clip is tight and straight
no leaks
no cracks, no chips

other / surface / misc
no bite marks
no inscriptions, names, logos, bumper stickers
clear or clear-enough ink window
light micro-scratches and scuffs are of course fine and expected,
but no serious/deep/long scratches

correct box, papers, etc are _not_ necessary but would be worth a bit more, ~$15 - 25

would be shipping to alberta, canada with tracking and insurance

----------

hi everyone,

something unexpected (_good_ unexpected, for once) has just happened and it looks like i finally have a chance to buy the one grail pen i've been wishing for for > 15 years: a montblanc 149.

realistically, i'm only going to get one shot at this [it's taken 15 years to get to this point], and all these years of coveting and drooling and reading and sighing over nib pics and so on has left me dreaming of a very specific 149 style/configuration, what you'd see in the very late '60s to early '70s (and maybe even more specifically ~1973 - 1975 if some of the charts are to be believed) -- so, i can't really play the trial-and-error game with whatever styles and configurations are randomly available on current listings here or on ebay or wherever and just make do with whatever i find.

for another thing, i'm not buying this as a collector or museum curator. i can only let myself do this if i would actually be using it every day, taking it to work and using it at home and everything else -- otherwise i can't begin to justify it. so, first, it needs to be in perfect working order, because i'm not going to have additional funds to have the piston serviced, or the nib adjusted, or leaks sealed, or whatever -- even down to things like the cap and clip, because it'll be traveling around in my pocket; and second, it needs to work with my very unfortunately small handwriting, meaning it has to be a true extra-fine or xxf (as they did indeed create in those days; you see lots of these tapering-off-to-a-needle-point nibs, noticeably different from even a fine) with a moderate-to-dry flow. if i can't write with it, because it's too wide or too wet, then i'm screwed, i'll have to sell it. i've become too used to cheap japanese extra-fines, which, you know...

so, with that in mind, if you have something that might fit the description above, please let me know. you'll see it's a very specific list -- not demanding something that's especially rare, because you do see these pretty frequently on the list (i just haven't been able to buy one or justify one before) -- just _specific_, to not waste anybody's time.

and, to not be coy or mysterious or anything, up-front i can say over the years i've got to know pretty well the price range for these on the list (and good [if not mint] examples on ebay, from good sellers) and based on this i have somewhere in the range of $350 - $400 u.s. to play with here, maybe push it up to $425 for a really special case, say close to mint and including insured/tracked shipping (to canada [where it is effing freezing at the moment, thank you very much]), with the amount varying depending on things like whether the original box/papers might be included, the amount of use it's received, and whatever other factors.

by the way, given my search for a true extra-fine or xxf, anyone who's had (documented) professional nib work done specifically to create a smooth extra-fine or xxf -- particularly messrs minuskin or masuyama -- please let me know, because of course that would happily bring us to the high end of the price range.

again, thanks for your time in reading this at all, and please see below if the pen you have fits with the very specific image i've so tragically got stuck in my head.

jsph

----------

Wrathen
January 3rd, 2017, 06:24 AM
I didnt do a full read of the ad on FPN but this might be what your looking for:

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/classifieds/item/43252-montblanc-149-from-1960s-14c-ef-nib/

jsph
January 3rd, 2017, 08:03 PM
thank you so much. yes, i had just seen that a day earlier, and i had been in touch with the seller (a very friendly guy) about another pen earlier, ... but i'm afraid it's (though i'm sure it's worth it) outside the top end of the budget i/we had to set for this. without my asking, he was very kind and offered it at a slightly lower price, but still i'm afraid i'm already pushing it just to get up to ~$400 -- which i realize limits our options, but from past listings on the forum and decent examples on ebay (from reputable sellers) i think/hope it's still realistic to find the right pen in good condition in a while. ... especially if such friendly folks as you are being so kind as to write and alert me to possible pens for sale out there. :) thanks again.

Wrathen
January 3rd, 2017, 08:42 PM
thank you so much. yes, i had just seen that a day earlier, and i had been in touch with the seller (a very friendly guy) about another pen earlier, ... but i'm afraid it's (though i'm sure it's worth it) outside the top end of the budget i/we had to set for this. without my asking, he was very kind and offered it at a slightly lower price, but still i'm afraid i'm already pushing it just to get up to ~$400 -- which i realize limits our options, but from past listings on the forum and decent examples on ebay (from reputable sellers) i think/hope it's still realistic to find the right pen in good condition in a while. ... especially if such friendly folks as you are being so kind as to write and alert me to possible pens for sale out there. :) thanks again.

No problem I actually didn't look at the price was just like hey thing this is what he was looking for posted it here and moved on. Keep in touch with the guy maybe if he doesn't find a quick sale you can go back to him and he might drop it to a price your ok with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrynRedbeard
January 3rd, 2017, 09:17 PM
Good fortune in your quest.

jsph
January 15th, 2017, 03:35 PM
thanks, guys.

there hasn't been too much excitement on this, so i should probably say a fine nib would be ok, too, if the price is low enough to have some funds left over to have the nib ground to an extra-fine.