PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding between some vintage MB models.

AzJon
December 30th, 2016, 03:26 PM
Hey y'all!

Ok, so ever since my father in law tempted me with a 342, I've been researching MB to an almost nauseating end. I'm honestly not a huge fan of their new pens, but the vintage ones.....

I got a little cash for Christmas this year (otherwise I wouldn't consider picking up a new pen right now) and I wanted to know if I could get some opinions about a few different models.

Any preference between the 342 and the 344?

How do the older 50s 342/344 compare to a late 80s 146? Obviously, the 146 is a Meisterstück line pen.

Basically, I got a couple hundred bucks and got bit by the Montblanc bug. What would you buy and why?

Edit: any repair pitfalls to look for?

jar
December 30th, 2016, 04:04 PM
I like the xx4 size pens. They just seem to fit me. The xx2 pens are too small and the xx6 really nice but the xx4 size is jess right.

AzJon
December 30th, 2016, 04:14 PM
Does that also apply to, say, the 264? Found a nice one of those with some decent semi-flex in a price range I could live with.

jar
December 30th, 2016, 04:58 PM
Yes, and I even have a 264 for sale myself. But don't expect much in the way of flex in any 264.

AzJon
December 30th, 2016, 06:12 PM
Flex is certainly not a requirement. While I enjoy it as much as the next person, just a little bounce or cushion is enough for me. That being said, I mostly have Sheaffers, and they are entirely nails.

jar
December 30th, 2016, 06:32 PM
Flex is certainly not a requirement. While I enjoy it as much as the next person, just a little bounce or cushion is enough for me. That being said, I mostly have Sheaffers, and they are entirely nails.

Sheaffer made quite a few pens with really great flex nibs but you need to find someone who actually knows what they are talking about to find one.