PDA

View Full Version : Baystate blue

fergus2116
January 2nd, 2017, 05:02 AM
I have a bottle of BSB and was wondering if it would be fine to put in my Pilot VP, I don't really care about the staining. I just cant seem to find a good answer as a lot of people seem to be very opinionated about the ink.

KrazyIvan
January 2nd, 2017, 10:26 AM
I would put BSB in a pen I know I can completely take apart and clean thoroughly. The VP can leak inside the section and it's not easy to take apart so I would not use the ink in that pen.

Jon Szanto
January 2nd, 2017, 10:45 AM
I have an opinion in this ink, yes, that is true.

naimitsu
January 3rd, 2017, 06:53 AM
I second KrazyIvan sorta...
Because of the mechanism, the flap will always pick up ink from the nib and it's a pain to clean that part of the pen. However, if you don't plan on putting anything else in it ever again, I don't see an issue with it.

And like Jon, I will refrain from voicing my opinion on the ink itself ;)

mhosea
January 3rd, 2017, 07:22 AM
Richard Binder claims BSB has melted Pilot feeds, I think specifically from the VP. See bottom of page here (http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/care/inks.htm). Coupling that anecdote with the difficulty cleaning the VP section, I personally would avoid that combination.

naimitsu
January 3rd, 2017, 07:30 AM
Richard Binder claims BSB has melted Pilot feeds, I think specifically from the VP. Coupling that anecdote with the difficulty cleaning the VP section, I personally would avoid that combination.

Ah... didn't know that.
In which case, disregard my tentative ok!

Chrissy
January 3rd, 2017, 08:07 AM
I have an opinion in this ink, yes, that is true.
Me too. I wouldn't put it in my Pilot VP. :spy:

mhosea
January 3rd, 2017, 09:05 AM
I added a link to Richard's report. I would add that another thing BSB users do tend to do is try to figure out how to clean it out of pens, which could end up being a factor in any given failure scenario.

Another odd thing about this ink is that it is supposedly mildly alkaline but has independently measured as mildly acidic, I think from more than one source of late. One explanation is that the formulation has changed, a possibility that Noodler's users will not find difficult to believe, but pH drift is also possible. The point is that it may be OK in a VP...until it's not.

lsmith42
January 3rd, 2017, 10:59 AM
We here at the SF Posse have witnessed BSB disintegrating a Lamy Safari feed... no other chemicals involved.

On the other hand, I have a TWSBI dedicated to BSB with no ill effects beyond the expected staining, which doesn't bother me in a dedicated $50 pen.

We're still working on the chemistry experiment design to understand just what is really going on in there, hopefully without damaging the instruments!

Mags
January 8th, 2017, 05:13 AM
No dont use it in your VP. Feel free to use it and flush your pen you use regularly with water. Clean it with diluted water and bleach to resolve staining. Bleach is hard on pens and feeds. BSB does not work well with other inks which means you dont want to flush a pen quickly and try a new ink in it .....because the inks can react and you can get particulates clogging the feed and nib. TWSBI in non demonstrator like the old black mini was and likely is still a great pen for this ink.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chrissy
January 8th, 2017, 05:34 AM
I noticed a while ago that when I use BSB for inky experiments, that it stains the inside of sample vials blue. Rinsing them in water does not remove the blue stain, nor does rinsing them in warm water with added detergent. The only way I can get sample vials clean is to push some kitchen roll, dipped in the warm water containing detergent, inside them and twist it around. Since I can't do this with many of my pens, I tend to not use it in them. :(

matteob
January 8th, 2017, 12:11 PM
I am normally a cheerleader for Nathan but ai heaitate to use this ink, beautiful though it looks, because of the staining issues. I guess I would have to use it in a cheap eyedropper like a Wality or even Nathan's "Charlie" pen and use it just with that ink. I think he throws in a Charlie with the eyedropper bottle anyway but then you are limited to a fine nib.