PDA

View Full Version : Ink Review: Diamine Beau Blue

Chrissy
January 2nd, 2017, 09:50 AM
My latest ink samples from Diamine include a couple of lighter blue inks that I wanted to test. So here is the first one: Beau Blue

I would describe it as a pale blue, a light cerulean blue or a light sky blue. It leans slightly towards the green edge of the blue colour spectrum like Waterman Inspired Blue and J. Herbin Blue Pervenche but it's less saturated.

It's not a deeply saturated ink but I saw some shading. No noticeable sheen.

It felt quite wet in my Lamy Al-Star with B nib, and because the B nib lays down more ink, the colour looks darker than when I used the Lamy NexxM with M nib. Both pens I used wrote straight away without any hard starts or skipping. The flow was very good, not dry, with both pens and the lubrication felt good along a line. The dry time on all of the papers I used was 15-16 secs, which some may consider is quite a long dry time. Once dry there was no smearing.

Diamine Beau Blue isn't at all water resistant.

This isn't sold as a waterproof ink, and shows no noticeable water resistance.
Bearing in mind the review form paper I use is thick with a shiny surface, and I used Lamy M and B nibs this ink took 15-16 secs to dry using the M nib. No smear after dry.
It exhibited good flow and lubrication and I found it smooth to write with. I saw no skips or hard starts while I did swabs and dry time tests.
It is currently available in 80ml glass bottles or 30ml plastic bottles
Diamine (http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/listings.aspx?catid=14) sell it directly to end-users on their web-site.
It's a reasonable price.

Ink blot on kitchen roll

The Good Captain
January 7th, 2017, 12:01 PM
Great review as usual and a good ink but far too pale for me.

Chrissy
January 7th, 2017, 03:13 PM
Great review as usual and a good ink but far too pale for me.

Thank you, and you're welcome. It's good that we all have different tastes. :)

Sailor Kenshin
January 7th, 2017, 04:34 PM
This is the ink I've alsways used in my MB Generation, with its fat nib. Thanks for the review!

Robert
January 7th, 2017, 05:00 PM
I agree 100% with The Good Captain on both counts: very fine review, but the ink is too pale for my taste.

Chrissy
January 8th, 2017, 01:24 AM
This is the ink I've alsways used in my MB Generation, with its fat nib. Thanks for the review!

Thank you, and you're welcome. I must try it in a few more pens. :)

Chrissy
January 8th, 2017, 01:25 AM
I agree 100% with The Good Captain on both counts: very fine review, but the ink is too pale for my taste.

Thank you, and you're welcome. I know that pale inks aren't to everyone's taste. :)