PDA

View Full Version : Payment etiquette?

hungrynerd
January 3rd, 2017, 07:44 PM
When sellers list the prices, do they assume that payment via Friends & Family option, or via the Goods & Services option?

jar
January 3rd, 2017, 07:47 PM
When sellers list the prices, do they assume that payment via Friends & Family option, or via the Goods & Services option?

Goods & Services. The Friends & Family option is not to be used for merchandise. So yes, I expect to have to pay fees to PayPal as well as absorb at least some of the shipping costs.

Hawk
January 3rd, 2017, 08:40 PM
Goods and services. And add whatever the shipping amount is posted.

FredRydr
January 3rd, 2017, 08:40 PM
Goods & Services....
+1

If a buyer happens to be known to the seller, the choice is between them, but put it this way: if it's necessary to ask, don't.

Fred

mhosea
January 3rd, 2017, 11:16 PM
Yup, goods and services. I'm always surprised when somebody occasionally sends it the other way, though it's OK. It's easier to click-n-ship with goods and services, and I find out they sent it the other way when I try to click through to print postage but can't find the button. :) Anyway, I may be out of date since I haven't read the PayPal ToS in recent months, but AFAIK the buyer can pay however they like, but the seller can not ask for Friends & Family payment on goods/services. That is forbidden. Consequently, any seller who expects it doesn't know what they're doing. I don't think sellers can technically ask the buyer to cover the fees on goods & services, either, but that is a common practice in some circles, and I have never heard of that rule being enforced.

Chrissy
January 4th, 2017, 03:58 AM
Goods & Services. If you buy something from someone and choose to make payment via Friends and Family, and for whatever reason you receive nothing, then that's exactly what you will get if you've paid by Friends and Family. :(

If you're genuinely sending some money to a friend say for shipping something to you, and you want to give them a contribution, then Friends and Family is fine. :)

Sellers who sell goods or services generally build PayPal fees into their prices, or just accept that they will pay them. :)

matteob
January 4th, 2017, 08:38 AM
If it is just a trade between members of a forum and I know and trust the person after talking to them for a while then I will send friends and family. Not bought a pen from anyone here yet with faf but bought a vintage razor from a guy on a wet shaving forum and got it for a song as he was reducing his collection. He sent it first class registered included in price too.Enthusiasts on forums are normally cheaper than dealers and sending friends and family makes them more inclined to give a nice deal. If it is a dealer charging top whack then i will send goods and services.

hungrynerd
January 4th, 2017, 12:52 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

Scooby921
January 5th, 2017, 11:33 AM
Goods & Services. If you buy something from someone and choose to make payment via Friends and Family, and for whatever reason you receive nothing, then that's exactly what you will get if you've paid by Friends and Family. :(

If you're genuinely sending some money to a friend say for shipping something to you, and you want to give them a contribution, then Friends and Family is fine. :)

Sellers who sell goods or services generally build PayPal fees into their prices, or just accept that they will pay them. :)
I was going to say the same thing. I think you MUST pay as Goods & Services to have any coverage by Paypal if the item you bought shows up broken or doesn't arrive at all. You can't open a Paypal dispute for a gift to a friend or family.

Gertyyeds
March 4th, 2024, 10:13 AM
Sellers typically don't assume any specific payment method when listing prices. It's best to clarify with the seller directly which option they prefer. Remember, using Friends & Family is meant for personal transactions and doesn't offer buyer protection, while Goods & Services has fees but includes purchase Payment gateway (https://www.hitpayapp.com/) security. Choose the option that aligns with your situation and the seller's preference for a smooth transaction.

Chrissy
March 4th, 2024, 10:18 AM
Gertyreds the spammer reported