PDA

View Full Version : Twsbi 580 is out!!!!

PeppWaves03
March 12th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Just saw The twsbi 580 was out on twsbi's store. I just bought mine with a medium nib and also picked up a mini with a fine nib. Now if you would excuse me, I'm going to stand next to the mailbox :)

earthdawn
March 12th, 2013, 10:49 PM
I ordered the 1.1 stub.

Whats great is Speedy announced the 540 & 580 nibs are interchangable...

Ohhh yea,.... my Pendelton Bad Boy will slip right on !

snedwos
March 13th, 2013, 06:31 AM
The writing desk is taking preorders. Now to see if I can convince anyone to remember it's my birthday at the end of the month!

woosang
March 13th, 2013, 06:42 AM
I have an order in but will have to be patient! Living so far away and the mail is so slow!

writingrav
March 13th, 2013, 07:33 AM
MIne, with a Broad nib, is also ordered. Interchangeability with the 540 is very good news.

Toffer
March 13th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Ahh want one!! What size nib though??

Toffer
March 13th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Ahh want one!! What size nib though??

vhr5
March 13th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Thanks PeppWave03 for the notification! I was just going to wait until the 18th when Goulet Pen Company was going to sell them. Now I don't have to wait... as long.:bounce: I just ordered mine with a Medium Nib. Yea!!!!!!

Toffer
March 13th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Looked at ordering one from the Twsbi website, but shipping is 28 dollars to the UK!! Will wait until the writing desk had them.

Toffer
March 13th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Oh don't know what to do! Should I pre-order one?! How quick will they sell at the writing desk?! Ahhhhhh

TheRoXFiles
March 13th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Omg...just discovered they've got these on sale at Amazon right now. Off to go buy a 1.1 mm stub nib. :D

fountainpenkid
March 14th, 2013, 02:55 PM
I'm waiting for the 850 with the flexi 14k nib...(no joke!--check their FB page)

TheRoXFiles
March 14th, 2013, 05:29 PM
I'm waiting for the 850 with the flexi 14k nib...(no joke!--check their FB page)

I think I saw that last night--the last I read, they wanted to know how much it would cost to get a gold nib from their supplier. But I think this is gonna mean this pen would be too rich for my blood, so I'm not getting my hopes up here. :/

caribbean_skye
March 14th, 2013, 06:27 PM

I thought they were soliciting feedback re: 14k vs 18k not saying they're definitely going the flex route. Or is that one of those things that are just left unsaid but understood?

I think I saw that last night--the last I read, they wanted to know how much it would cost to get a gold nib from their supplier. But I think this is gonna mean this pen would be too rich for my blood, so I'm not getting my hopes up here. :/

You could buy the one with the reg nib and hopefully just buy the gold nib separately at a future date.

TheRoXFiles
March 14th, 2013, 06:33 PM
You could buy the one with the reg nib and hopefully just buy the gold nib separately at a future date.

Hey, that's a great idea! :D

And as for the 14k vs 18k nib: Well, we can answer this easily enough by going to TWSBI's FB page (https://www.facebook.com/TWSBI?fref=ts) to see, right? :)

I'm curious...so does the number of carats in the nib affect how well the pen writes and flexes overall? Or does this come down to personal preference and how much folks are willing to pay to get one gold nib vs the other?

snedwos
March 15th, 2013, 04:19 AM

And as for the 14k vs 18k nib: Well, we can answer this easily enough by going to TWSBI's FB page (https://www.facebook.com/TWSBI?fref=ts) to see, right? :)

I'm curious...so does the number of carats in the nib affect how well the pen writes and flexes overall? Or does this come down to personal preference and how much folks are willing to pay to get one gold nib vs the other?

Nibmeisters tend to say 14k gold is better for flex, but I think that only means gold nibs that are made today (by Bock? Most nibs are made by Bock these days), which they then modify for flex. Not all gold alloys are the same, the carats tell you how much gold is in the alloy, not what else is, and that also plays a part in how flexible a nib will be. (18k Pelikan nibs can be quite soft, but 21k Sailor nibs are supposed to be nails).

14k gold nibs are stiffer, and thus harder to spring or otherwise damage when the modification is made. 18k nibs will often be springier out of the box, though.

fountainpenkid
March 15th, 2013, 04:35 AM

I think the carat of gold doesn't have a huge effect on writing experience, but if the nib is bent or damaged, then the 18k nibs are harder to repair.

TheRoXFiles
March 15th, 2013, 04:58 AM
Thanks for the info, folks! :)

writingrav
March 15th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the info, folks! :)

The difference is in the stiffness of the metal. The higher the carrot the softer and therefore more bendable and harder to control.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

KrazyIvan
March 15th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Nibmeisters tend to say 14k gold is better for flex, but I think that only means gold nibs that are made today (by Bock? Most nibs are made by Bock these days), which they then modify for flex. Not all gold alloys are the same, the carats tell you how much gold is in the alloy, not what else is, and that also plays a part in how flexible a nib will be. (18k Pelikan nibs can be quite soft, but 21k Sailor nibs are supposed to be nails).

14k gold nibs are stiffer, and thus harder to spring or otherwise damage when the modification is made. 18k nibs will often be springier out of the box, though.

I am in possession of a 21K Sailor (review in the works) and I can confirm that it is springy but no where near flexible. I have a vintage Conway Stewart with a 14K nib that gives at the slightest pressure. Even regular writing makes the tines open up just a little. It was the same thing for my Vintage Pelikan 140.

snedwos
March 15th, 2013, 01:16 PM
The difference is in the stiffness of the metal. The higher the carrot the softer and therefore more bendable and harder to control.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

But the softness also depends on what the other 6/10ct in the alloy are. But of course, since TWSBI deals with Bock, the usual considerations apply.

earthdawn
March 15th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Got it this afternoon

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/B53F3235-DFAD-4746-ACD9-E8886F8C4C2B-8547-000002BD22821A74_zps45035ff3.jpg

PeppWaves03
March 15th, 2013, 08:21 PM
So I got my 580 today along with my mini and noticed something when I was cleaning the pens prior to first use. On the 580 there was zero residual ink when I cleaned it. The mini clearly had been tested much like a new lamy. A bit of blue ink came out and then clear water from my cleaning solution. Has anyone experienced this blue tester ink before either on a mini or a 580? I remember twsbi stating they tested all nibs but I always doubted that.

woosang
March 15th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Mine is sitting in Oregon to be shipped to me.. Argh it's arrived and yet hasn't

writingrav
March 16th, 2013, 06:05 AM
Mine arrived yesterday. See my thread Twsbi 580 handwritten review.

TheRoXFiles
March 17th, 2013, 01:42 PM
So I got my 580 today along with my mini and noticed something when I was cleaning the pens prior to first use. On the 580 there was zero residual ink when I cleaned it. The mini clearly had been tested much like a new lamy. A bit of blue ink came out and then clear water from my cleaning solution. Has anyone experienced this blue tester ink before either on a mini or a 580? I remember twsbi stating they tested all nibs but I always doubted that.

Funny...my 580 (hereafter known as "Clara Owsin Oswald") had some blue ink in her when I cleaned her out. That also happened with Leeloo Dallas Multipass (my TWSBI Mini), but I don't remember this happening with "John Smith," aka "The Doctor" (my blue TWSBI Vac 700).

thagbert
March 21st, 2013, 10:51 PM
Just got my 580 today in the mail. I ordered it from their eBay site. It arrived promptly. I also ordered their really cool inkwell and some ink from Goulet Pens.

The ink well is awesome! See the video about it on the Goulet Pens site;

www.gouletpens.com/TWSBI_Diamond_50P_Orange_Ink_Bottle_p/tw-m7443380.htm

Can't wait to ink it up. I figured out that this pen is made in Taiwan.

UK Mike
March 22nd, 2013, 01:17 PM

I got my 580 with a medium nib and I can confirm there was a tiny amount of blue in the feed when I flushed it out.

The JoWo nib is certainly smooth enough for a $50 pen but the pen overall is a little underwhelming with hard starts and occasional skipping even after 3 flushes. To be honest, my Monteverde Prima writes better, but I will persevere a while longer.

ToddPeperkorn
March 22nd, 2013, 01:27 PM
I got my 580 with a 1.5 stub this past Monday. Beautiful pen. But I'm having a problem with the ink not flowing well on the downstroke.

KrazyIvan
March 22nd, 2013, 03:27 PM
I got my 580 with a 1.5 stub this past Monday. Beautiful pen. But I'm having a problem with the ink not flowing well on the downstroke.

Are you used to writing with a stub that large?

fountainpenkid
March 22nd, 2013, 08:45 PM

I was using a Pelikan m200 with a 1.5 stub recently, perfectly tuned and everything, and was having the same problem...maybe they just are too wide for most feed and nib deswigbns

TheRoXFiles
March 22nd, 2013, 09:13 PM

I've got the same problem with my TWSBI 580 with a 1.1 mm stub (hereafter known as Clara Oswin Oswald). She worked fine for about half a page when I tried her out for her...hmm...maiden voyage? Christening letter? Whatever I can call my very first letter with her as the pen I was using? Anyway--then I noticed that the ink wasn't flowing so well on the downstroke once I got around half a page of writing. I'd get a very thin line, skipping, or a hard start...but after continuing to write with the pen a bit more, it'd go back to normal. This is my first stub nib, so I wasn't sure if I was holding the pen the wrong way, or if I hadn't cleaned it out thoroughly enough before inking it up, or if something else was going on, but I wouldn't know because I'm new to these stub nibs. :/

KrazyIvan
March 22nd, 2013, 10:02 PM
Large stubs can put a high demand of ink on the feed. Sometimes the feed can't deliver that ink. Also, since the nib can be a little sharp, paper fibers may clog the nib slit.

fountainpenkid
March 23rd, 2013, 07:34 AM
Large stubs can put a high demand of ink on the feed. Sometimes the feed can't deliver that ink. Also, since the nib can be a little sharp, paper fibers may clog the nib slit.

I think that is the best answer as well.

TheRoXFiles
March 23rd, 2013, 08:46 AM
That makes sense. I'd wondered about this, too--which is why I'd taken to just capping the pen and letting it sit on my desk for a moment when I'd see the ink flow get a bit wonky. That'll usually help. If not, though, advancing the ink a little helps, too.

fountainpenkid
March 23rd, 2013, 12:31 PM
Does the plastic feel any different than the 540 or 530 plastic?

vhr5
March 23rd, 2013, 12:55 PM
I've got the same problem with my TWSBI 580 with a 1.1 mm stub (hereafter known as Clara Oswin Oswald). She worked fine for about half a page when I tried her out for her...hmm...maiden voyage? Christening letter? Whatever I can call my very first letter with her as the pen I was using? Anyway--then I noticed that the ink wasn't flowing so well on the downstroke once I got around half a page of writing. I'd get a very thin line, skipping, or a hard start...but after continuing to write with the pen a bit more, it'd go back to normal. This is my first stub nib, so I wasn't sure if I was holding the pen the wrong way, or if I hadn't cleaned it out thoroughly enough before inking it up, or if something else was going on, but I wouldn't know because I'm new to these stub nibs. :/

I also have same ink flow issues with my 580, but it is a Medium nib. It starts off as a wet nib and then as I write for a while it starts to skip. The slipping occurs on the down stroke and even if I slow down my pace the nib keeps skipping. I've carefully cleaned the pen four times and even changed to a different ink, the problem still occurs. I too have noticed that if I let the pen rest on my desk for a moment, it will be back to normal for a while and then it will start to skip again as I write. :( Any ideas?

fountainpenkid
March 23rd, 2013, 02:48 PM
I also have same ink flow issues with my 580, but it is a Medium nib. It starts off as a wet nib and then as I write for a while it starts to skip. The slipping occurs on the down stroke and even if I slow down my pace the nib keeps skipping. I've carefully cleaned the pen four times and even changed to a different ink, the problem still occurs. I too have noticed that if I let the pen rest on my desk for a moment, it will be back to normal for a while and then it will start to skip again as I write. :( Any ideas?

How wet/dry is the nib?

KrazyIvan
March 23rd, 2013, 04:40 PM
It could also use some nib adjusting. All my previous TWSBI pens have been dry, no matter who made the nib.

vhr5
March 23rd, 2013, 05:07 PM
How wet/dry is the nib?

It started off very wet, then little by little became drier as I wrote until it started skipping. All of my other TWSBI's have been fine with the same ink.

fountainpenkid
March 23rd, 2013, 06:06 PM
It started off very wet, then little by little became drier as I wrote until it started skipping. All of my other TWSBI's have been fine with the same ink.

I don't know what it may be then...but I hope it works out!

TheRoXFiles
March 23rd, 2013, 06:18 PM

Could this be an issue with the "short time writing" vs "long time writing" with these TWSBI pens? Like...with the piston fillers, if you know you're going to be writing something longer than a short note, then you're supposed to loosen the piston turning knob just a bit. With the Vac 700, for "long time writing," you should loosen the blind cap. And as Brian Goulet said in one of his "Ink Nouveau" videos, you can even pull the plunger out just a bit--just enough to raise the O-ring inside the pen but not enough to create a negative vacuum. You just want ink to flow into the feed.

Tracy Lee
March 23rd, 2013, 06:37 PM
okay, Okay, OKAY. I need to understand the fuss over this Twsbi pen, particularly something called a 580. Three people had them on the Podcast/webcast today, all with the same nib. I also need to understand this whole stub business. So, I ordered one for myself with a stub nib. Let's see what the party is all about, eh? I can't continue to stand on the outside watching, and a whole forum of smart, fun people who love fountain pens cannot be wrong, right? So bring it Twsbi, let's see what you got. :cheer2:

TheRoXFiles
March 23rd, 2013, 07:02 PM
okay, Okay, OKAY. I need to understand the fuss over this Twsbi pen, particularly something called a 580. Three people had them on the Podcast/webcast today, all with the same nib. I also need to understand this whole stub business. So, I ordered one for myself with a stub nib. Let's see what the party is all about, eh? I can't continue to stand on the outside watching, and a whole forum of smart, fun people who love fountain pens cannot be wrong, right? So bring it Twsbi, let's see what you got. :cheer2:

...you just gave me an odd idea. Depending on what the next TWSBI is that I'd get, I just might call it "Agent J" or "Agent K" and take a picture of myself holding it like a "Men in Black" neuralyzer. :P I've been debating taking a piccy of myself with John Smith (my blue Vac 700)--holding it like The Doctor's sonic screwdriver--but I dunno. I feel like I'd be a little too silly doing either. *blush*

Uh...anyway...I think I've gone way off topic here. (Maybe it's because I'm watching "Doctor Who" right now and it's making me a bit more loopy than usual?) Let's go back to our regularly scheduled programming...which would still be "Doctor Who" on BBC America for me. Ahem. :P