PDA

View Full Version : SOLD Wanted: your working but unwanted cheap fountain pens

FredRydr
January 5th, 2017, 07:00 AM
Wanted: your working but unwanted cheap fountain pens.

Families often visit the pen shows on Saturdays and Sundays. Parents heard about the pen show through local media and curiosity brings them into the fold for a few hours. Their kids usually don't know what to make of it all (perhaps wishing they were elsewhere) as they walk by our vendor table. That is when we give older children and young teens used inexpensive fountain pens, inked and ready to go. It's proven to be a real ice-breaker and champions the pen hobby, but we run out of pens too quickly.

So... If you have inexpensive fountain pens that no longer fit your collection and you're willing to pass them on, please consider sending them our way to put them in eager hands. As much as we love vintage, modern pens are best for the kids. We can't use restoration projects, parts pens or junk pens.

PM me if interested.

Fred

P.S. Here is our Thank you! http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/19035-Kids-at-the-pen-shows-and-a-Thank-You!?p=196491#post196491

naimitsu
January 6th, 2017, 11:53 AM
I'll try to go through my collection this weekend. I'm sure I have a handful that I can send your way.

Brilliant Bill
January 6th, 2017, 11:59 AM
I'll bring a handful for you at the Charm City affair.

Wade
January 6th, 2017, 04:47 PM
What a great idea Fred. I was thinking of putting a few of my Chinese 'starter' pens up soon in the Pay It Forward section, but I like your idea so much I'll send them your way instead. I'll PM you when I have some ready.

FredRydr
January 6th, 2017, 09:40 PM
Thanks all! It's really rewarding to hear the thanks from those kids, too. We always hope they learn how to write with the pens before they find out how they squirt ink.

Fred

christof
January 7th, 2017, 02:33 AM
Great idea Fred.
Next week I'll send a couple of unwanted pens.
Is there someone who will care about them? I mean, clean and check function?
C.

FredRydr
January 7th, 2017, 04:08 PM
Oh Christof! I thank you, but the postage can hardly be worth the value of such donations. I know! Wait until you're sending something to me with which you can pack the donations. ;)

I'll clean them up for the kids (though Rick will likely want to double check my work).

Fred

Sailor Kenshin
January 7th, 2017, 04:36 PM
I've got some! :)

FredRydr
January 8th, 2017, 01:48 PM
Thank you on behalf of the kids who would otherwise be bored following Mom or Dad around the shows.

Fred

adhizen01
January 8th, 2017, 01:52 PM
I've got a few.... Where a shall I send them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Waski_the_Squirrel
January 8th, 2017, 03:48 PM

Thank you for offering to send fountain pens suitable for older children and young teens who are newbies to the fountain pen scene.
Fred

I'm a former Pennsylvanian. Although I live in another state now, I still have loyalty. I'll box up a few this week and send them. Rather than creating bored kids who hate pens, you're creating a new generation of pen lovers, and I consider that a good thing!

christof
January 9th, 2017, 09:17 AM
Oh Christof! I thank you, but the postage can hardly be worth the value of such donations.

Fred
Six pens are on their way to you. Postage was $6. I think this is reasonable :)
Best
Christof

FredRydr
January 9th, 2017, 10:01 AM
PM sent. Thank you!

Six pens are on their way to you. Postage was $6. I think this is reasonable :)
Only $6? Christof, you did well! Thank you, of course. :) I wish I could take some photos of kids getting pens, but I may not be able to match each donor with each grateful recipient, and besides, it's risky to take photos without getting written permission from parents, etc.

Fred

christof
January 9th, 2017, 01:14 PM
not necessary.
c.

Sailor Kenshin
January 10th, 2017, 02:36 PM
Pens away! Hope they arrive safely.

naimitsu
January 12th, 2017, 09:27 AM
So I seem to have misplaced all of my beginner pens :mad:
I'm going to have to do a deep dive of my stuff to figure out where I put them. Once I figure out what I did with them, I'll 1) not do it again, and 2) send them your way. I figure even if I miss the deadline, as least you'll have them on hand for next year! ;)

FredRydr
January 12th, 2017, 12:35 PM
I figure even if I miss the deadline, as least you'll have them on hand for next year! ;)
Thank you! There is no deadline. We'll be doing this at all pen shows where we have vendor tables. We've always run out of pens because I never thought to enlist all your help! So, PM me when you rediscover your unwanted cache. :)

Fred

Sailor Kenshin
January 13th, 2017, 08:41 AM
Wouldn't you know...I just found a bunch more pens....

HoLmeslice
January 15th, 2017, 06:12 PM
I have a few unwanted pens to add to your growing submissions. PM incoming.

FredRydr
January 15th, 2017, 06:30 PM
It's very much appreciated by the children and young teens who will benefit from your generosity.

Here is our Thank you! http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/19035-Kids-at-the-pen-shows-and-a-Thank-You!?p=196491#post196491

Fred

P.S. Okay, we have enough to distribute through to the 2017 DC pen show, and perhaps even to the end of the year.