PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Jinhao converters

Kathleen
January 5th, 2017, 12:04 PM
I have a Jinhao x750 and a Jinhao 159. I enjoy writing with them except for one problem that they both have – the converter does not seem to fill properly with ink but has a huge air bubble. I would like to replace their converters with a better-quality converter (maybe one with an agitator), to avoid this problem in future. Does anyone know of a better-quality converter that would fit in either of these pens? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Wade
January 5th, 2017, 01:53 PM
Any standard international sized converter should work just fine. When I'm filling my Jinhao converters I will fill once, hold nib up and give the converter a few flicks and a tiny twist of the knob and that usually gets the air bubble to rise to the top, then you can *carefully* twist the knob to release the air and fill a second time, usually gets me a pretty complete fill.

matteob
January 6th, 2017, 03:50 PM
The converter is a weak spot. You need to fill and refill a couple of times to get the air bubble out. However a good quality converter is not much outlay. I see you are in the UK. Beaufort Ink has a nicer German made (looks like a Schmidt) converter with their own branding which I have fitted to the Jinhao X750 I use as my carry about pen. It is only £2.97.

http://www.beaufortink.co.uk/penmech.html

KrazyIvan
January 6th, 2017, 06:49 PM
Just an FYI, any international converter will NOT always fit. I've tried replacing them and it was hit and miss.

Jon Szanto
January 6th, 2017, 07:09 PM
Ditto on the non-universality of converters for Chinese pens. And while it may seem overly complex or fussy, I often fill converters with a syringe - I get a complete fill, then attach converter and drop a few drops of ink on the underside of the nib/feed to "prime" the pen. No wiping of ink off the section and nib, and pretty much a 100% fill.

Wade
January 6th, 2017, 07:15 PM
Good to know, I haven't experienced that yet.

matteob
January 7th, 2017, 08:42 AM
The Beaufort/ Schmidt converter above will fit though!

Kathleen
January 7th, 2017, 09:49 AM
The converter is a weak spot. You need to fill and refill a couple of times to get the air bubble out. However a good quality converter is not much outlay. I see you are in the UK. Beaufort Ink has a nicer German made (looks like a Schmidt) converter with their own branding which I have fitted to the Jinhao X750 I use as my carry about pen. It is only £2.97.

Thank you very much for that information! I will give it a try.

(I had previously bought a standard international converter, but found that it didn’t fit either of the Jinhao pens.)

matteob
January 7th, 2017, 06:43 PM
You should be fine just screw in the converter rather than trying to push it in as per the Jinhao.

Kathleen
January 11th, 2017, 11:46 AM

Thank you - I ordered this and it fits both pens! The Jinhao x750 is my favourite pen (and also my cheapest!) so I am very glad to have that up and running again.

k3eax
January 11th, 2017, 05:21 PM
Have you thought of removing the covnerter and then using a syringe to fill before reinserting?

Jon Szanto
January 11th, 2017, 05:42 PM
Have you thought of removing the covnerter and then using a syringe to fill before reinserting?

As in Post #5... :)

mookie2112
January 19th, 2017, 05:02 PM
sometimes you have to "muscle" it on there.....I did that with my 159. With my 750, it fit just fine.

matteob
January 19th, 2017, 06:50 PM
It's not the fitting that bothered me so much as the smaller size and difficulty getting a good fill. I heard the Jinhao converter is prone to leaks over time too so for the sake of a few quid decided to get a better quality one that i mentioned above :)

Tarbyonline
August 13th, 2017, 08:52 PM

Thank you very much for that information! I will give it a try.

(I had previously bought a standard international converter, but found that it didn’t fit either of the Jinhao pens.)

Schmidt do both a standard (K1) and a premium converter, the K5 (I used to buy from them direct but they now sell through welovepens.co.uk ). I found the premium ones worked better in my Jinhao's for some reason. They are much cheaper from Schmidt than through 3rd parties in my experience as well! Delivery is only a few £ and now they are selling pens as well it's easier to put a decent order together.