PDA

View Full Version : Parker 51 barrel engagement

Vespagirl
January 5th, 2017, 06:56 PM
I was recently given a Parker 51 which seems to be in great shape except that the barrel will not engage with the rest of the pen. The barrel will slide right ice the thread, but you can feel a small bit of resistance as you pull the barrel off.

I have done a basic cleaning, but that is all at this time. Does anyone have a suggestion at to how I can salvage this pen?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mhosea
January 6th, 2017, 01:01 AM
Don't know for sure which, but it sounds like you need either a new barrel or a new connector. I'd guess connector. You can purchase one here: http://pentooling.com/partsparker51.html , and I'd get a new sac while I was at it. Maybe they have barrels, too. I didn't look for them, but nevertheless, barrels are easier to find. If worse comes to worst, you can buy one from eBay.

pajaro
January 6th, 2017, 12:50 PM
I was recently given a Parker 51 which seems to be in great shape except that the barrel will not engage with the rest of the pen. The barrel will slide right ice the thread, but you can feel a small bit of resistance as you pull the barrel off.

I have done a basic cleaning, but that is all at this time. Does anyone have a suggestion at to how I can salvage this pen?

Thank you!

I don't understand "right ice the thread." What do you mean there?

Vespagirl
January 6th, 2017, 05:08 PM
Sorry, autocorrect thinking for itself. I was trying to say that the barrel will slide right over the threads.

This is what I get for trying to message when coming off of as cold.

pajaro
January 7th, 2017, 12:36 PM
It might be that you have a demi 51 section and a regular size 51 barrel. The demi is a smaller size 51, and its section threads are of too narrow a diameter to engage the barrel threads of a regular size 51. I once bought a 51 from ebay which had a demi section with teflon thread wrapped around the section threads to add thickness so it would screw into the barrel. I removed the teflon tape and got a demi barrel for the pen.

Vespagirl
January 7th, 2017, 05:43 PM
It's possible but the pen belonged to my dad and he thinks he tightened it down too tight too often.

The teflon tape worked (my dad used scotch tape). Boy, can that pen write!

Thank you for the help!

pajaro
January 8th, 2017, 03:31 PM
Don't use any more teflon tape than you need to. The more thickness you make, the more stress on the barrel, and the barrel might crack at the threads.