PDA

View Full Version : my writing style yeilds broader than normal lines

MrClockWork
March 14th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Like the post says, however I write a pen always produces a broader line for me than, say, my wife. Any idea as to why this happens? It happens with roller balls as well as FPs which makes it difficult for me to find a pen that is fine enough. This isn't so much about finding the right pen ( ie: japanese F/EF) as it is about figuring out what about my handwriting makes this happen.

I write pretty small = i can easily fit two lines of text in a standard Rhodia spacing without altering how I write.
I do not exert excessive pressure.
I do not write particularly slow.

Any thoughts?

KrazyIvan
March 14th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Assuming paper, pen and ink are the same, it does come down to the amount of pressure exerted on the pen. Relative to your wife, you probably have a heavier hand. Fountain pens require no pressure to write assuming a properly tuned nib. The angle the pen is held also affects the amount of ink that gets transferred to the page. If you look at a nib under magnification, a round nib point has a tiny flat spot. This is the foot. How much of the foot is in contact with the paper will affect line width.

Those are the only other two factors I can think of right now.

MrClockWork
March 18th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Thanks KI, That is interesting because I feel like she exerts much more pressure than I do when writing. I guess you never know. I also think it is interesting that it happens with a rollerball as well as a FP. Maybe I an just THAT strong that I don't even realize I an pressing down hard (totally joking). Thanks for the insight