PDA

View Full Version : Warranty claims in USA on pen purchased from overseas

Spoonage
January 11th, 2017, 04:53 AM
Hi all,

Wanted to see if a US retailer or the US service center would do warranty work on a Pelikan that was purchased and shipped from an overseas retailer. I guess more specifically swapping the nib unit or adjusting it at a minimum. I purchased an M1000 and these are the "issues" / concerns I have...

1. Nib and feed appear to be slightly missaligned. Nib appears to be rotated slightly from "center" and is also shifted slightly to one side. I guess this is a visual concern / preference. Pen still lays down ink with no issues of hard starts, railroading, starvation.

2. Nib "shoulders" appear to not be the same "shape" / curvature. Again just a visual concern preference unless either of these concerns truly are issues.

3. Nib feels a bit feedbacky / scratchy and is fairly audible when writing. I've tried it on 3 different papers (albeit not the best paper in the world) but I can tell the difference in feedback between the different papers and also between different pens on the same papers. Only pens I can compare it to are a vintage Monte Blanc with a BB nib, a new Sailor KOP with a M nib, and a Noodler's Ahab with a flex nib I've been playing with. I have another pen on the way that I could do a comparison with but wont be here for a couple days.

4. While it lays down a nice consistent line, it appears to be rather thick. For reference my M1000 has a F nib, but to my eye lays down a line thicker than the KOP with an M nib. I guess its hard to directly compare since they are from different manufacturers especially one being "Western" and one being Japanese, but still figured the F nib would lay down a thinner line than the M nib on my KOP regardless of it being a Japanese M. Comparing the tipping materials between the M1000 and the KOP, the M1000 looks to be a huge blob and the KOP is rather small.

I'll get pics up later today.

The retailer I purchased it from said I could return it to him, but again that's shipping it back overseas which is its own set of inconveniences. I wonder if Pelikan can't do anything here if it would actually be cheaper / better to just send it off to a nibsmith to get it adjusted rather than shipoing it back over seas...

Chrissy
January 11th, 2017, 05:18 AM
You might be able to send it to your main Pelikan Distributor for a nib swap. If they won't do it, then you might have to send it to Pelikan although that would involve overseas shipping. In the end, it may just be more straightforward to return it to your retailer. They are under contract with Pelikan to fix it. :)

Spoonage
January 11th, 2017, 05:55 AM
Pics.

https://goo.gl/photos/LPHQXTX3MVqx1gz8A

Spoonage
January 11th, 2017, 05:58 AM
I'm by no stretch a good photagrapher so if these pics aren't clear to show what my "concerns" are let me know. I can always take more when I get home from work.

jar
January 11th, 2017, 06:02 AM
What is important when it comes to nib feed alignment is best seen from the top. The nib slit should be directly over the ink channel in the feed. Often this can be seen easiest through the so-called Breather Hole.

The line width seems normal. Pelikan pens do run relatively wide and are also factory tuned as very wet which is why Pelikan 4001 is a relatively dry ink. Put a wet ink in a Pelikan and you get a gusher.

Pilot pens, like Pelikan, seem to be tuned to the really wet end of the spectrum. Sailor tends to be slightly less wet in my experience and Platinum the driest (yet still wet) writers of the Japanese big three.

pajaro
January 11th, 2017, 10:54 AM
I am surprised by the issues you report with your pen. I have never had a nib issue with Pelikan, but there's always a first time.

If you buy it from a source other than the US distributor, or one of their dealers, they will not provide any kind of service. Not if you buy it used, not if you buy it from outside the US. That's what they told me when I needed a repair to put a section back on the pen. I had to do it myself, which I did.

dfo
January 11th, 2017, 05:15 PM
The Pelikan US warranty center will take care of you. They are quite nice and willing to work with you. They helped me when I purchased a M805 from the Netherlands which had baby's bottom.

Spoonage
January 12th, 2017, 05:13 AM
Thanks all for the responses. I sent pics of my concerns to the Pelikan USA repair center. Waiting to hear back from them.

pajaro
January 12th, 2017, 06:18 PM
Good luck to you and the Red Sox.

Spoonage
January 13th, 2017, 06:30 PM
So Pelikan got back to me. They won't do anything for me.

jar
January 13th, 2017, 06:54 PM

PM sent to you.

FredRydr
January 14th, 2017, 03:56 AM
There are capable pen repairmen/women who can adjust your nib and feed. If you have patience, use your other pens and lay the Pelikan aside until you take it to the Chicago Pen Show (http://www.chicagopenshow.com), where you can sit in front of the "nibmeister" and try the pen as it is adjusted until you like the way it writes. If you must send it off now, here are just two of your many choices.
http://www.mikeitwork.com
http://www.indypendance.com

Fred

Spoonage
January 14th, 2017, 05:59 AM
I should say Pelikan US won't do anything for me according to the emails and phone conversation.

Thanks Jim and Fred for the info.

Chicago pen show is months out (May). As much as that's probably the option that makes the most sense since the nibmeisters can adjust with me there exactly to my liking, and while I do have other pens to enjoy I would hate to leave a pen this nice out of a rotation for that long just begging me to ink it up to write. I'll contact the mentioned nibmeisters in this thread and PMs.

jar
January 14th, 2017, 06:17 AM
I should say Pelikan US won't do anything for me according to the emails and phone conversation.

Thanks Jim and Fred for the info.

Chicago pen show is months out (May). As much as that's probably the option that makes the most sense since the nibmeisters can adjust with me there exactly to my liking, and while I do have other pens to enjoy I would hate to leave a pen this nice out of a rotation for that long just begging me to ink it up to write. I'll contact the mentioned nibmeisters in this thread and PMs.
The good folk at Indypendance studied under Richard Binder and do great work.

dfo
January 19th, 2017, 01:16 AM
Apparently Pelikan US will work on oversea purchases if they come from an authorized dealer. Sorry. I ended up sending mine to Mike-It-Work to be stubbed and he is awesauce.

Spoonage
February 12th, 2017, 05:39 AM
I forgot to update. The retailer came through. He paid for returned shipping and sent a new nib to me. The only thing was a M nib was sent instead of a F. But customer service is quite nice.