PDA

View Full Version : A fountain pen should have no moving parts

ttakacs
June 2nd, 2010, 07:28 AM
One of my favorite pens is a Montblanc 320. It's a cartridge/converter filler. It occurred to me that in addition to how wonderful it writes, it is marvelously simple: it has no moving parts. In other words, no levers to break, ink sacs to dissolve, piston seals to leak, or snorkels to ... whatever snorks do when they go belly up!

Cleaning my 320 is as easy as removing the cartridge, taking in a gulp of water, and blowing it through the section and nib (taking care, of course, not to have recently eaten popcorn or crackers).

In addition to filling cartridges by syringe, I occasionally use a converter, which if and when it fails costs me less than $10 to replace rather than a $50-plus repair.

It seems to me that some FP users denigrate c/c fillers as being inferior pens. I say three cheers for a FP with no moving parts!

countrydirt
June 2nd, 2010, 05:13 PM
I agree Tim. I have 2 Lamy Safaris (well 1 is a Vista), 3 waterman Phileas (2 are Kultures) and 1 Cross Townsend - all fitted with converters to suck up the ink. What could be simpler? I also have 2 Reform 1745s and if the mechanism goes, I guess the pen goes as well.

Maruk
June 2nd, 2010, 06:32 PM
I agree with Tim as well, but only to a degree.

C/C is great for pens, but it is more of a coupling system than a storage system. The cartridge is more synonymous with an eyedropper pen, but holds much less. This is good for changing ink, but not so good for volume used. The converter is nothing more than a smaller volume piston-filler pen, which is still good. Additionally, the C/C coupling unit makes maintenance quick, which is always a boon. The downside and biggest gripe that I have seen is the volume that the C/C storage system holds and how it is not up to par - but I am not writing the next great American novel here.

Personally, I view C/C as a cross between worlds, where I can have volume (cartridge) and color (converter) in the same pen. It is a miniaturization of previous technology combined with hot-swapping of ink (all you need is water for the nib unit). I wonder what the next step will be.

Kelly G
June 5th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Most filling systems have their advantages and disadvantages and so for me it depends on the situation. I like eyedroppers for their enormous capacity but you really need to be sure about the ink selection as you'll be with it for awhile. I like piston fillers for simplicity and volume; vintage systems - levers, vacs, snorks, touchdowns, wire fill, etc for their elegance. And, I actually like the repair process for these types. So, it just depends for me and I have too many of most versions!

dannzeman
June 5th, 2010, 09:48 AM
One of my favorite pens is a Montblanc 320. It's a cartridge/converter filler. It occurred to me that in addition to how wonderful it writes, it is marvelously simple: it has no moving parts. In other words, no levers to break, ink sacs to dissolve, piston seals to leak, or snorkels to ... whatever snorks do when they go belly up!

Cleaning my 320 is as easy as removing the cartridge, taking in a gulp of water, and blowing it through the section and nib (taking care, of course, not to have recently eaten popcorn or crackers).

In addition to filling cartridges by syringe, I occasionally use a converter, which if and when it fails costs me less than $10 to replace rather than a $50-plus repair.

It seems to me that some FP users denigrate c/c fillers as being inferior pens. I say three cheers for a FP with no moving parts!
I can see your point. The most simplistic designs are usually the easiest to deal with, but they can also be pretty boring.
I don't think I've ever had a converter fail on me but I, like you, would much rather spend a few dollars to replace it. Although, modern piston fillers are so robust that I don't think the mechanism or seal will fail in my lifetime. Now, vintage pistons are a different story, but some of those have already gone through a lifetime and still work perfectly fine.

Kelly makes a good point and I prefer other filling systems because of their elegance, which a C/C system just doesn't have.

Most filling systems have their advantages and disadvantages and so for me it depends on the situation. I like eyedroppers for their enormous capacity but you really need to be sure about the ink selection as you'll be with it for awhile. I like piston fillers for simplicity and volume; vintage systems - levers, vacs, snorks, touchdowns, wire fill, etc for their elegance. And, I actually like the repair process for these types. So, it just depends for me and I have too many of most versions!

akonpittbull
June 30th, 2010, 02:56 AM
I think one of the great thing about the fountain pen is we can clean them very easily and at the same time it is very easy in writing and smooth also. Basically that is really good thing because a pen which can never harass you and help to write the best thoughts, is always great.

Woodnut
November 14th, 2013, 10:24 PM
I've come late to this thread about "A Pen Should Have No Moving Parts," and it seems odd that there's no mention so far about eyedroppers. My pen(s) of choice in this category are Indian ebonite eyedroppers: simple, attractive, extremely lightweight in humungous sizes, customizable, made in variable colors, relatively inexpensive, and fully functional with a minimum of care.

snedwos
November 14th, 2013, 11:36 PM
I like pens I don't have to take apart to fill. I guess it's a case of no movable parts versus no removable parts.

And coolness, I guess. The only pens I object to are ones that go out of their way to be cartridge only.

dduran
November 15th, 2013, 12:32 AM
Like what Dan said, some people do enjoy the repair process -- plus it only usually happen to vintage pens. Same with the process of cleaning the pens, etc.
I find it easier to change the ink on my M800 over a CC (less twists due to higher ink capacity) and thorough cleanup is not a problem too because it can easily be dismantled.

If you really want to be practical, why not use a gel RB (those can be reaaally smooth), or BP?
I enjoy spending time with my pens, whether writing with or taking care of em. It's part of the charm and why I use FPs

fountainpenkid
November 15th, 2013, 05:00 AM
It is much easier to fill a Pelikan souveran series than it is a syringe refilled cartridge pen. The m400 and 400 are so easy to fill and flush because the feed is not too big and the piston is powerful enough to flush all the ink out easily. Other piston fillers are more problematic though...I have to take out the nib assembly of my Paragon to get it clean, and the piston needs re-greasing after a couple months of use. I think Dan might be right here, although boring is subjective in some cases, humans are naturally drawn to interesting and useful mechanics over more simple, manual methods.

bigevilgrape
November 21st, 2013, 07:20 PM
Don't take my snorkels! I love the moving parts as much as I love writing with the pens.

orfew
November 21st, 2013, 07:53 PM
I have piston fillers a button filler a push knob filler and yes several c/c pens. I usually have at least one piston filler inked at all times but I always have at least 2 c/c pens ready to go. I would not trade my 114, 144, 145, or 147 for anything. They are just very reliable pens.