PDA

View Full Version : Platinum 3776

RocketRyan
January 15th, 2017, 02:24 AM
Morning all, I'm looking at purchasing a 3776 probably around February. I do however have a dilemma, red or blue? Having never seen either in the flesh, I wondered if anyone has both and could tell me about the merits of each in the real world. For example if one colour looks more premium, or more translucent. Hopefully I've made sense. Thanks in advance.

jar
January 15th, 2017, 04:13 AM
I have no idea what premium looks like but I do have both pens and they look great.

http://www.fototime.com/68A1AC828BF72EE/medium800.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/611FFF7800DE393/medium800.jpg

RocketRyan
January 15th, 2017, 06:45 AM
See I still can't decide

Monkey
January 15th, 2017, 06:55 AM
I got the red, even though I'm a blue person, because personally I don't care much for the blue/gold combo. I'm sure it's still really nice, because they're nice pens, but I had to go red, and I don't regret it. The red/gold looks great, even being outside my preferences.

jar
January 15th, 2017, 07:15 AM
See I still can't decide

Then change the question. Which one will you get FIRST? With that question you can concentrate on other factors like cost and availability.

RocketRyan
January 15th, 2017, 07:43 AM
That's the trouble my mind changes every other day. Don't even start me on nib grades.

Monkey
January 15th, 2017, 08:06 AM
Honestly you're just going to have to pick what appeals, blue or red. They're both lovely pens, it's not like you can go wrong. And as mentioned above, you can always get another one later. As far as new solid reliable pens with gold nibs go, especially if you buy from Japanese sellers on ebay, these are about as cheap as you can go.

ppmiranda
January 15th, 2017, 08:19 AM
I don't have one 3776, but I'd go for a clear one if I was looking for one. IMO it looks incredible in pictures.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Monkey
January 15th, 2017, 08:24 AM
The clear ones have a different body - faceted, they're more expensive, too.

inklord
January 15th, 2017, 10:03 AM
I like the blue - a bit more serious and a nice contrast to the gold trim. I always fancied the bourgogne, but once I saw them next to each other, the Chartes bleu seemed a lot more convincing with a bit more, shall I say, gravitas to it. But then that's only my personal aesthetic...

Sailor Kenshin
January 15th, 2017, 10:06 AM
I bought the Bourgogne (M), and I AM totally a Blue person. It has not been un-inked since, and every time I write with it, I'm happy.

The blue, maybe down the road, if there's a SF option. What I'd really prefer is a Smoke.

Jon Szanto
January 15th, 2017, 10:20 AM
See I still can't decide

Dude, that's on you. None of us can decide your personal tastes. I'm like Jar - I've got both, they are just different, one not better than the other. This is *your* call.

Brilliant Bill
January 15th, 2017, 10:24 AM
Nothing that anyone here says can unburden you from the consequences of your decision.

From experience, I like Jar's perspective. They're almost a matched set for me. I first got the red, and I still see it as the classier and more unique of the two. The gold trimmings are more fitting to the maroon coloring of the body and cap. I also put Clown Teardrop ink in it and use it mostly on cream paper. It all seems to go well together. Then I got the blue, just because you have to. To me, the blue is a slightly garish hue, and it would be better suited to silver trimmings, but it's a nice match for the red. Like seasons, blue is colder and is like winter. If you like warmth and summer, red is for you.

The other thing is that overall it's not a big deal. These are not wildly expensive pens -- and they seem to hold a reasonable degree of resale value. If you don't like what you've purchased, sell it. The cost of the experience is not that great.

RocketRyan
January 15th, 2017, 10:57 AM
Wise words.

Curtisvan
January 15th, 2017, 12:14 PM

Yeah, I have one of the clear numbered Deion 3776's and love the way the facets feel when I hold the pen.

Monkey
January 15th, 2017, 12:48 PM
I bought the Bourgogne (M), and I AM totally a Blue person. It has not been un-inked since, and every time I write with it, I'm happy.

The blue, maybe down the road, if there's a SF option. What I'd really prefer is a Smoke.

Hah, nice to know I'm not alone! And, you can get SF if you go through Japanese sellers on ebay. That's what I got for mine. :D

Robert
January 15th, 2017, 03:42 PM
See I still can't decide

Try flipping a coin.

ppmiranda
January 15th, 2017, 03:46 PM

Since it's on my «one day I might bought it» list I never noticed the price difference (but it's nice to know about it now). The faceted body in the other hand is one of the reasons I prefer the clear ones.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Runnin_Ute
January 15th, 2017, 06:22 PM
I got the bourgogne about six weeks or so ago. It has been my most used pen in that time. (I got a broad)

Kaputnik
January 16th, 2017, 04:10 AM
I got one of the Chartres Blue ones from a third party Amazon dealer. Unfortunately, it was defective, with a nib and feed that wouldn't stay in the pen, so I sent it back. Not saying that's a typical defect, obviously, I just got unlucky.

A while later, I decided to try again with a different dealer and got the Bourgogne instead. This time, no problem, and I've kept it.

The point is that I've actually seen both in person, and each is quite attractive looking in its own way. Despite my one bad experience, I have no reason to think that the quality control is different between the different colors. So if you like both blue and red, flip a coin.

stub
January 16th, 2017, 06:15 AM
Get the Green one.

stub
January 16th, 2017, 06:17 AM
Also I have now decided on your behalf that you now like creamy peanut butter and not crunchy.

RocketRyan
January 16th, 2017, 12:14 PM
Well I've got until the end of February to make a decision, or buy both lol.

Blue Note
January 18th, 2017, 12:33 PM

Both is the only way to settle your indecision. I got the blue first with a soft fine and then the Bourgogne with a hard broad. Love 'em both, but if I could have only one it would be the Chartres Bleu, it's a little bit more transparent and the soft fine nib is a beauty. I'm thinking hard about the Nice demonstrator. Cheers.

Nomdeplume
January 18th, 2017, 12:59 PM
I do have the clear/faceted and LOVE it...on a side note, the barrel developed some cracks but upon asking, I was sent a new barrel! Great customer service and a great pen!

RocketRyan
January 18th, 2017, 01:34 PM
Get the Green one.

I wish I'm a sucker for green! Probably something to do with humans being able to see more shades of green thanany other colour... Or maybe I just like green.

RocketRyan
January 18th, 2017, 01:36 PM

Both is the only way to settle your indecision. I got the blue first with a soft fine and then the Bourgogne with a hard broad. Love 'em both, but if I could have only one it would be the Chartres Bleu, it's a little bit more transparent and the soft fine nib is a beauty. I'm thinking hard about the Nice demonstrator. Cheers.

Ah now that is curious! The fact the red ones translucency is more subtle has pushed me in that direction.

Brilliant Bill
January 18th, 2017, 03:04 PM
Watch this video, and you'll get a red one, probably today!

https://youtu.be/ycnS-2d3ubc

RocketRyan
January 19th, 2017, 03:22 PM
I am leaning towards red.

stub
January 19th, 2017, 03:39 PM
I am leaning towards red.

Go for it /slash/ shit or get off the pot already.

mookie2112
January 19th, 2017, 04:25 PM
I got red. Oh, and btw, I see certain fines listed as "soft fine". is there really a "soft fine" nib designation, or are they really all "fine"?

mookie2112
January 19th, 2017, 04:28 PM
I got red. Oh, and btw, I see certain fines listed as "soft fine". is there really a "soft fine" nib designation, or are they really all "fine"?

Oh....never mind. After watching that video, there is a "fine" and "soft fine" designation.

stub
January 19th, 2017, 04:32 PM

Oh....never mind. After watching that video, there is a "fine" and "soft fine" designation.

Yeah but in real life (YMMV) i found a suprisingly small difference between Platinum's F and SF.

YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV

Miss Fountain Pen
January 19th, 2017, 04:42 PM
Yeah but in real life (YMMV) i found a suprisingly small difference between Platinum's F and SF.

There's some variability in the nibs coming out of the factory. I have two Platinum 3776s, both with SF nibs. One of the nibs feels quite a bit softer than the other. The softer of the two is definitely "soft." The stiffer, well, reasonable people will disagree about whether it merits the designation "soft." ;)

SuperNib
January 19th, 2017, 04:50 PM
I write with blue inks daily. I bought blue. I like my pens to match ink on daily writers. I guess I may be a little OCD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stub
January 19th, 2017, 05:22 PM

There's some variability in the nibs coming out of the factory. I have two Platinum 3776s, both with SF nibs. One of the nibs feels quite a bit softer than the other. The softer of the two is definitely "soft." The stiffer, well, reasonable people will disagree about whether it merits the designation "soft." ;)

I hadn't found that. I tried a half a dozen or so in Japan (Itoya, Tokyu Hands, Kinokuniya, various mom & pops). Half a dozen back home and have owned a few 3776s and still have 3 of them (admittedly no Soft nibs). I found the difference between soft nibs and regular much greater in Pilot than Platinum.

Could it be: that the variation is not due to manufacturing variations (which seems unlikely to me) but due to how how far the nib is pushed in?

I dunno. None of this means what you say is not true. Only that my milage varied.

:rain:

Runnin_Ute
January 19th, 2017, 09:49 PM
I first saw the Bourgogne online in November 2015 while looking for a M200 Cognac which I purchased. I fell in love with the color then over the blue. And I don't have a blue pen, but at least one in a red (Parker 45 burgundy, Noodler's Konrad Red Mesa Tortoise) I did see on FPN that a number of people were getting and raving about the Chartres Blue too around that time or in the previous few months. Did I lean away from the Blue because a lot of people were getting it? Perhaps. Perhaps not. But I eyeballed that pen for a year before I got it. Am glad I got the Bourgogne. Will I someday get the Chartres Blue? Who knows? I sure don't.

RocketRyan
January 19th, 2017, 11:17 PM
I think the red one is the way to go. Hopefully I will get both eventually.
Thanks for all the reasonings , it has aided my decision

matteob
January 20th, 2017, 01:35 PM
I have the bourgogne at the moment. That burgundy is a lovely colour. I hope to get both eventually too. They are much cheaper if bought direct from Japan.

heraclitus682
February 4th, 2017, 10:33 PM
Get black (seriously). I have all three colours and prefer the classic black.

RocketRyan
February 5th, 2017, 01:07 AM
Get black (seriously). I have all three colours and prefer the classic black.

I like the black, but eventually I would like to get a sailor 1911, and that happens to be my preferred colour for that model.

Porterinjax
February 5th, 2017, 08:23 AM
Just got the blue one...it's a beautiful pen :)

RocketRyan
February 5th, 2017, 08:29 AM
Which nib?

Porterinjax
February 11th, 2017, 01:28 PM
I go the fine nib and it's too fine for my taste.

RocketRyan
February 12th, 2017, 02:33 PM
Think I will go for a medium.

Littleblue
February 12th, 2017, 04:37 PM
I have a black one from years gone by (6 or 7 maybe?) with a music nib, and I adore it.

RocketRyan
March 10th, 2017, 03:21 PM
I ordered blue. I'll let you know my thoughts when it arrives.

Runnin_Ute
March 10th, 2017, 06:46 PM
I got the bourgogne about six weeks or so ago. It has been my most used pen in that time. (I got a broad)

In the time I have had it, it has been uninked for exactly one day. I finished it off and was expecting some ink to arrive the next day that I wanted to try in it.

Runnin_Ute
March 10th, 2017, 06:47 PM
I ordered blue. I'll let you know my thoughts when it arrives.

I hope you like it. My decision on color was pretty easy. But it took me a year to finally pull the trigger on it. A year of checking it out and making the final decision.

RocketRyan
March 11th, 2017, 01:38 AM
I think the fact i finally found a blue i like helped. Waterman's if you wanted to know​.

Adit
March 11th, 2017, 06:55 AM

The Black Diamond is a smoke.

RocketRyan
March 12th, 2017, 05:48 AM
Black Diamond is £99 on amazon UK at the moment

RocketRyan
March 25th, 2017, 11:27 AM
So... I am very happy with my choice of blue. I think it looks lovely in person and feels nice and solid. I went for a medium nib and find it perfect for everyday use.

Jon Szanto
March 25th, 2017, 02:32 PM
So... I am very happy with my choice of blue. I think it looks lovely in person and feels nice and solid. I went for a medium nib and find it perfect for everyday use.

Oh, thank the gods, I can finally get a good night's sleep! I have been on pins and needles waiting to see if it was finally just what you wanted after all that in-depth searching!!! ;)

RocketRyan
March 25th, 2017, 03:34 PM

Oh, thank the gods, I can finally get a good night's sleep! I have been on pins and needles waiting to see if it was finally just what you wanted after all that in-depth searching!!! ;)

Glad I could give you some closure ;)

grainweevil
March 25th, 2017, 03:35 PM
Enjoy it while ya may - while I am happy with blue I still hanker after the Bourgogne... ;)

RocketRyan
March 25th, 2017, 03:47 PM
Enjoy it while ya may - while I am happy with blue I still hanker after the Bourgogne... ;)

I dare say that there's one in my future, probably with a soft fine nib.

RocketRyan
April 23rd, 2017, 09:19 AM
As an update, I am very pleased with the performance of the pen, however I have never seen gold plating loss this rapid.
My pens do live a tough life, but this is a new record.

Jon Szanto
April 23rd, 2017, 10:31 AM
As an update, I am very pleased with the performance of the pen, however I have never seen gold plating loss this rapid.

I have five, including one model in rose gold plating. None has suffered even the tiniest bit of damage or loss. I would return to the retailer if I were you. This is not normal for these pens.

stub
April 23rd, 2017, 12:04 PM

Are you storing it in a leather pen sleeve? Some leather sleeves will eat through plating in a hurry. I find the rhodium plate on my platinum pens to be really really nice. Curious to know what is going on here.

RocketRyan
April 23rd, 2017, 12:08 PM
Generally lives in a pocket or my work bag, came from Japan so not sure what kind of warranty it will have. Although it was through Amazon.
Worth an ask i suppose.

Jon Szanto
April 23rd, 2017, 01:43 PM
Generally lives in a pocket or my work bag...

Honestly, that doesn't tell us much. "in a pocket" could be a pen carefully clipped in a shirt pocket, singly, or it could be a pen carried in a pants pocked along with spare change and car keys. Same vagueness with the bag. I'm not *assuming* anything, but if you are asking anyone to give insight into a situation that most of us haven't seen happen, it would help to have a little more precise description of your care. As I recall, you haven't had this pen for long at all, so I have suspicions over a bad pen or user error.

RocketRyan
April 23rd, 2017, 03:08 PM
As with all my daily carry pens, they go from pants pocket with a mobile phone, to work bag clipped to a pocket with often a couple of other pens. A rough existence, so wear is expected, but most of my daily driver pens have taken much more than a month to show wear.

jar
April 23rd, 2017, 03:16 PM
Sorry but once a fountain pen goes in a pants pocket it is abused and child services should get involved.

Jon Szanto
April 23rd, 2017, 03:16 PM
Ok, user error. Not something that can reported under warranty. Maybe at some point you can invest in an inexpensive EDC carry case that will still protect your pens better than that. Or just get used to beat-up pens.

RocketRyan
April 23rd, 2017, 03:55 PM
I don't mind my pens getting raggedy through use, but I was surprised at the speed of it with this one. It took a year for my parker sonnet to show the same wear.
Just thought it was worth mentioning, I always like to see people's journey with a pen, rather than the one one week in love review.
As for the writing, it's a peach.

Lloyd
April 23rd, 2017, 04:19 PM
I side with Ryan. I, too, feel that many pens made by Platinum have great nibs but lower quality build than, say, Pilot. Heck, one of the trim rings from my ribbed 3776 fell off within a few months.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jon Szanto
April 23rd, 2017, 04:37 PM
I don't mind my pens getting raggedy through use, but I was surprised at the speed of it with this one. It took a year for my parker sonnet to show the same wear.
Just thought it was worth mentioning, I always like to see people's journey with a pen, rather than the one one week in love review.
As for the writing, it's a peach.

Understood. We all have these for differing reasons, differing uses, and simply end up with different experiences. Some day you might consider mating the nib from the 3776 with a sturdier 'work' pen. I think in situations like this, "Frankenpenning" is a great way to go!

fountainpenkid
April 23rd, 2017, 07:50 PM
If you're hell-bent on putting it in your pants pocket (a sacrilege I admit I also commit), I'd suggest finding an all-metal holder. I'm not sure what size Platinum nibs are, but if they're standard no. 6, maybe a titanium Namisu nova or Orion would work (both use no. 6 Bock nibs, I think). They seem foolproof and are quite affordable as far as titanium goes. Best of luck!

RocketRyan
April 23rd, 2017, 10:55 PM
If you're hell-bent on putting it in your pants pocket (a sacrilege I admit I also commit), I'd suggest finding an all-metal holder. I'm not sure what size Platinum nibs are, but if they're standard no. 6, maybe a titanium Namisu nova or Orion would work (both use no. 6 Bock nibs, I think). They seem foolproof and are quite affordable as far as titanium goes. Best of luck!

My first decent pen which suffers the fate of my daily carry, was and still is a cross century 2 medalist. A metal pen so clearly more suited to the type of work, however it has taken its beating well. Another one is the Sheaffer prelude, which is far newer than the cross, at about 6 months old, still looks like new.
To be honest i probably should have gone for something sturdier for a daily carry, but we are on the journey together now so let's see where it leads. If I ever decide to do a "review" at least I will have reviewed the life out of it.