View Full Version : Like the concept

RocketRyan
January 15th, 2017, 03:12 AM
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/642311833/everlast/description
Thought this was pretty cool.

frmamede
January 15th, 2017, 11:35 AM
And it is! Too bad only Frixion pens... :(
I would prefer, though, if it was FP friendly paper, without the "erasing" part, and a higher page count, with the smartscan solution.

RocketRyan
January 15th, 2017, 11:38 AM
Reminds me a bit of mont blanc augmented paper. I agree a fountain pen version would be awesome. One day maybe.

wee40811
January 15th, 2017, 12:16 PM
I think a fountain pen might work on this paper. The reason they stated fricxion pen only is probably because of the water soluble ink. So other pen with water soluble ink might work. The only part I don't like about this is that you still need to take picture manually to capture the note. If it can be completely digital it would be much nicer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EHV
January 16th, 2017, 05:30 AM
I think that Frixion is used because it's erasable. I don't think it has to do with the water soluble part.

In theory this is nice but it is completely dependent on Pilot to keep producing the Frixion. I agree that a FP version of this would be lovely. :-)

Check out White Lines paper if all you want if fountain pen friendly paper that has an app available and a symbol on the paper to use that instantly puts your writing where you want it in digital format. It is simplistic at this point but no doubt, it will be further enhanced in the future along with lots of other alternatives like Montblanc's mentioned above.

I think a fountain pen might work on this paper. The reason they stated fricxion pen only is probably because of the water soluble ink. So other pen with water soluble ink might work. The only part I don't like about this is that you still need to take picture manually to capture the note. If it can be completely digital it would be much nicer.

wee40811
January 16th, 2017, 12:30 PM
I think that Frixion is used because it's erasable. I don't think it has to do with the water soluble part.

In theory this is nice but it is completely dependent on Pilot to keep producing the Frixion. I agree that a FP version of this would be lovely. :-)

Check out White Lines paper if all you want if fountain pen friendly paper that has an app available and a symbol on the paper to use that instantly puts your writing where you want it in digital format. It is simplistic at this point but no doubt, it will be further enhanced in the future along with lots of other alternatives like Montblanc's mentioned above.

But the fricxion ink is erased by heat not water. In the description they wipe it clean with a wet towel.

penwash
January 16th, 2017, 10:31 PM
Unless there is something really special about the notebook, the real value here is the marking-aided scanning technology.

If they just sell the paper that has the markings (grid or whatever), so I can use any pen and get the clean, perspective-corrected scan, I'd buy the paper, I don't necessarily care about erasable surface and special pen/ink.

wee40811
January 17th, 2017, 04:23 AM
Unless there is something really special about the notebook, the real value here is the marking-aided scanning technology.

If they just sell the paper that has the markings (grid or whatever), so I can use any pen and get the clean, perspective-corrected scan, I'd buy the paper, I don't necessarily care about erasable surface and special pen/ink.

If you just want the perspective-correction. Try microsoft's office lens app. It works on all phones and all surfaces and it's free.

RocketRyan
January 17th, 2017, 07:12 AM
Will check it out.

penwash
January 17th, 2017, 09:26 AM

If you just want the perspective-correction. Try microsoft's office lens app. It works on all phones and all surfaces and it's free.

I know there are scanning programs for smartphones that does perspective-correcting. But what I saw in this kickstarter project is that they utilize the markings on the paper to guide the perspective correction, so we don't have to manually adjust it every time, at least that's what I thought I saw, could be wrong :)

Plus, there are other things that must be done after the perspective-correction to make a sketch crisp and clear, such as increasing brightness and contrast, correcting the white-balance, and some method of sharpening. I was hoping (maybe dreaming) that these people have these covered, and I would pay for a good implementation of these steps.

wee40811
January 17th, 2017, 10:35 AM

I know there are scanning programs for smartphones that does perspective-correcting. But what I saw in this kickstarter project is that they utilize the markings on the paper to guide the perspective correction, so we don't have to manually adjust it every time, at least that's what I thought I saw, could be wrong :)

Plus, there are other things that must be done after the perspective-correction to make a sketch crisp and clear, such as increasing brightness and contrast, correcting the white-balance, and some method of sharpening. I was hoping (maybe dreaming) that these people have these covered, and I would pay for a good implementation of these steps.

Office lens does all of the above without you doing anything. It adjust the contrast and brightness automatically. It even have different mode for paper, whiteboard and business card. I used it once to digitize 50 page of notes. It's pretty easy to use.