PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Savannah, Georgia, USA

TheGreatDane
March 17th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Hello everyone. I'm glad to have found this forum!

Here's a little story for my introduction:
I've been using fountain pens since grade school. I got into fountain pens when my mother won a door prize following a 5k race in the '90s. It was a gift certificate to a pen store in downtown Dallas. At the time, my family and I knew nothing of 'fancy pens.' We took our gift certificate to the pen store and walked away with numerous Lamys. We bought various colored Safaris, some roller ball, some fountain. I was the lucky recipient of a blue Lamy Safari with a medium nib. I treasured that pen. It wrote so smooth and wonderful. To my surprise, my handwriting seemed to improve remarkably! I loved how that blue wonder flowed across the page. Long story short, I used it for years until one day a bully took it and smashed it on the ground. Being young and of modest means, we could not afford a new one. I restored my love for fountain pens in college when I bought a Lamy Al-Star. Of course this one was metal and more durable! Hurray!

Since then, I've collected a few more Lamys, of various models, and found my way to the Noodler's inks. I was enthralled at their "bulletproof" ability, since I was always leery of the fountain pen's only weakness - water. Thanks to Noodler's (no affiliation), I've collected many inks and a few more pens, most recently a TWSBI Vac700 and Mini. Also I've just discovered Rhodia notebooks and Clairefontaine papers. They're magnificent!

Anyway, I'm happy to be here where others congregate and discuss our wonderful obsession! (BTW, this intro is likely to be used elsewhere)

I embrace the term, fountain pen geek! :)

vhr5
March 17th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Hello GreatDane and welcome to the forum! It sounds like you have a nice collection of pens, inks, and stationery. I'm sure you will find many others here with the same common interests! Welcome Aboard!

Bogon07
March 18th, 2013, 01:43 AM
Hi Thegreatdane and welcome to the FPG forum. Feel free to show some of your treasured Lamys on the sub forum. The Safaris and Al-Stars are some of my favourite pens and I always look forward to see what the new pen colour is each year. Noodler's inks encompass such a diverse range that it is fascinating collection even a small portion of them.

caribbean_skye
March 18th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Welcome welcome.

I just moved from Savannah last year and this past weekend I was wishing I was there (St Patty's day parade). In case you are interested, there is a pen show in Atlanta next month (April 12 through 14th), I went last year and had a blast.

writingrav
March 18th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Welcome to Geekland!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

southpaw52
March 18th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Greetings and welcome to Geekdom.

fountainpenkid
March 18th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Welcome! Great story!

KrazyIvan
March 19th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Welcome to the board. We shun bullies.

Trixie.in.Dixie
March 20th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Welcome fellow Georgian! Good to see more southerners finding their way here!

TheRoXFiles
March 22nd, 2013, 06:24 PM
Hello from Chicago! Welcome to the forum :)

I've got a soft spot for Lamys, too--although I think I've moved on a bit and for now, I'm a TWSBI girl. But I wouldn't have gotten into fountain pens in the first place if it hadn't been for my Lamy Vista. I'm still a Noodler's girl, though...and what I find interesting is that even with the work-friendly colors I use--blue or black--even that's changed a little within the past few months. Before I got into fountain pens, I thought black was black, for instance. And with blue, I thought I only had two choices...either business-friendly blue or that neon/electric blue in the neon-colored ballpoint pens at the store. Now I've learned that there's a lot more than that out there, and I think that's really great. That's one of the things I really like about fountain pens in general. :)

Tracy Lee
March 30th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Hi Great Dane (can we call you Big Dog for short? Just teasing!), welcome to the fun. What comes around goes around and that bully has either gotten his/hers, or its a comin . . . for sure. You simply cannot abuse a fountain pen and get off scott free in this world. Glad you have fully recovered, I am a Visconti focused collector who just bought my first TWSBI out of peer pressure (totally imagined) and am really enjoying it. Ya learn so much in here it's just not funny. Wait, yes it is . . .

Toffer
March 30th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Hi there, great story, I'm also a big Lamy fan, welcome to geek world!!