PDA

View Full Version : Carene or legacy?

RocketRyan
January 20th, 2017, 05:01 AM
Hi guys and girls, as someone who is reasonably new to collecting fountain pens I get drawn to types I don't have. Now this is certainly not an imminent purchase but one on my future want list, a pen with an inlaid nib.
So which would the more knowledgeable among you go for the waterman carene or the sheaffer legacy? Any stories of good or bad experiences with either would be nice to here.
Thanks in advance.

RocketRyan
January 20th, 2017, 05:01 AM
Also any alternative options are welcome.

jar
January 20th, 2017, 05:06 AM
The Carene is not an inlaid nib, it is an inset nib (http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/glossary/I.htm). Two entirely different critters.

RocketRyan
January 20th, 2017, 06:58 AM
OK I'm learning already

Chrissy
January 20th, 2017, 08:37 AM
I've had good experiences with Waterman Carenes and with Sheaffer Targas. I like them both, and their nibs behave really well.

I suppose there are pros and cons with each one, and the main 'con' I would think of is that the Sheaffer Targa is a thinner pen in the hand. I know that Imperials also have inlaid nibs and they might be fatter, but I have never had one.

So far as the Waterman Carene is concerned, it's internal feed holds a lot of ink. So if you have a tendency to change inks a lot, and clean out your pens frequently, the Carene will have more ink in it's feed, and will take longer to clean out. Also, depending on how you write, you might find that the Carene needs a slightly more upright position in your fingers because the end of the section has quite a large underside. Maybe the Targa is a little more traditional in that respect.

I would caution against buying either if you like to take your pens apart and fix your own nibs. Assume that neither of these has a removable nib.

If you're in the UK and you want a Carene, then look on Amazon. They frequently sell the black version at a great price. :)

jar
January 20th, 2017, 08:45 AM
http://www.fototime.com/2B4F4393524FA7C/medium800.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/1FC3952557FA7A5/medium800.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/BAE36B9CAA2F5DD/medium800.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/7FBA976601DDF5D/medium800.jpg

Sailor Kenshin
January 20th, 2017, 08:47 AM
Both are heavy pens. I have one Legacy and four Carenes. Even though the Carene doesn't post well and WILL get ink on your fingers where they touch the 'horns.'

Chrissy is correct. The Carene has a MONSTER feed. It looks like a whale shark.

RocketRyan
January 20th, 2017, 09:03 AM
Ah the feed could be an issue for me may have to try before I buy.

Blue Note
January 20th, 2017, 12:04 PM
I have 2 Carenes, one Pink Gold Meridians that I paid US $200 for new, and one Coral slightly used that I paid US $118 for. Both have medium 18K gold nibs and both are excellent writers. They are also a great design and lovely to look at. I also have 2 Targas for which I paid around $100 each and they are also excellent writers. I'm not familiar with the Legacy, which is quite a bit chunkier than the slender Targa, but I can highly recommend the Carene and the Targa if you are looking for a good daily driver that also has some nice design values.

alexander_k
January 21st, 2017, 01:16 PM
Rather similar in size and quality, the Carenes and Legacies I've had were decent pens. I actually prefer the Legacy to the legendary PFM. The mian difference I've experienced is that Carene is a rather dry writer, while Legacy is on the juicy side. So, it also depends on the kind of inks you use.

RocketRyan
January 21st, 2017, 01:52 PM
Rather similar in size and quality, the Carenes and Legacies I've had were decent pens. I actually prefer the Legacy to the legendary PFM. The mian difference I've experienced is that Carene is a rather dry writer, while Legacy is on the juicy side. So, it also depends on the kind of inks you use.

Big fan of Diamine inks at the moment.

alexander_k
January 21st, 2017, 04:00 PM
Some of the darker ones would benefit from a dry pen, especially in terms of shading. In a wet pen, Eclipse, for example, seems just black.

Chrissy
January 21st, 2017, 11:43 PM
Some of the darker ones would benefit from a dry pen, especially in terms of shading. In a wet pen, Eclipse, for example, seems just black.

Eclipse seems black to me in many of my pens. :(

alexander_k
January 22nd, 2017, 01:23 AM

Eclipse seems black to me in many of my pens. :(

Yes, Eclipse is one of the tricky dark ones, like the 1864 Blue-Black. It takes a really dry, broad nib to bring the best out of them.

TSherbs
January 22nd, 2017, 11:20 AM
Yes, Eclipse is one of the tricky dark ones, like the 1864 Blue-Black. It takes a really dry, broad nib to bring the best out of them.
Who makes this kind of broad nib?

Sent from my BLU ADVANCE 5.0 HD using Tapatalk

RocketRyan
January 22nd, 2017, 01:04 PM
A dry broad! A rare beast.

alexander_k
January 22nd, 2017, 03:15 PM
Who makes this kind of broad nib?

Waterman broad nibs are on the dry side but for really dry nibs I'd go Rotring (look for calligraphy nibs).

HughC
January 23rd, 2017, 02:11 PM
I have both, the Legacy is a better pen for me. Both high quality and attractive, both good writers but the Legacy sits better in my hand.

TSherbs
January 23rd, 2017, 04:52 PM
A dry broad! A rare beast.
Ahem

wee40811
January 27th, 2017, 02:20 AM
I'll go with carene first then legacy. The reason being that carene is easier to find and its still in production. Personally I don't like the legacy heritage. I always get the one with touchdown filler. One thing to note though, some of the sheaffer's inlaid nib tends to leak around the diamond shape part due to the capillary action between the nib and the section. It is more of a problem than carene because the nib extends more into the section in sheaffer and you are more likely to get ink on your hand then carene.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sailor Kenshin
January 27th, 2017, 06:21 AM
I'll go with carene first then legacy. The reason being that carene is easier to find and its still in production. Personally I don't like the legacy heritage. I always get the one with touchdown filler. One thing to note though, some of the sheaffer's inlaid nib tends to leak around the diamond shape part due to the capillary action between the nib and the section. It is more of a problem than carene because the nib extends more into the section in sheaffer and you are more likely to get ink on your hand then carene.

Oddly enough, I have experienced just the opposite.

RNHC
January 27th, 2017, 06:50 AM
Both are beauties! That is a tough call.

wee40811
January 28th, 2017, 12:59 AM

Maybe it's just the way I hold pens. I always ended up getting ink on my index finger when I use sheaffer's inlaid nibs. I have several sheaffer pens with inlay nibs some modern some vintage. Most of them have this ink creep issues.

jar
January 28th, 2017, 03:26 AM
Maybe it's just the way I hold pens. I always ended up getting ink on my index finger when I use sheaffer's inlaid nibs. I have several sheaffer pens with inlay nibs some modern some vintage. Most of them have this ink creep issues.

Investigate Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure.

Sailor Kenshin
January 28th, 2017, 08:32 AM

And it does vary, I'm sure. I don't use my Legacy that often, my first Carene turns my fingers brown (that's my usual ink in the Coral model), and my other three Carenes, on and off.

RocketRyan
January 28th, 2017, 09:10 AM

Investigate Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure.

Reminds me of a girl I once knew :0

perfaddict
February 3rd, 2017, 01:38 PM
I have 3 Legacy Heritages (one with a Touchdown II filler) and one Carene. I prefer the feel of the LH in my hand, as well as the writing experience.

RocketRyan
February 3rd, 2017, 03:07 PM
Seems like a real split house on this one.

Jon Szanto
February 3rd, 2017, 03:12 PM
Seems like a real split house on this one.

Sometimes you have to make up your own mind. This is one of them. Most pen purchases are that way.

RocketRyan
February 12th, 2017, 03:00 PM
I ask these questions more to see if anyone has troubles that would trouble me.

RNHC
February 13th, 2017, 07:10 AM
I ask these questions more to see if anyone has troubles that would trouble me.

I hear you. I think what Jon Szanto meant is that both are pretty good. It's a toss-up. You can't go wrong with either. It's up to you to choose. :)

RocketRyan
February 13th, 2017, 01:39 PM
As an example why has no one ever mentioned how uncomfortable the step down to the section is on a pilot metropolitan.

Jon Szanto
February 13th, 2017, 01:51 PM
As an example why has no one ever mentioned how uncomfortable the step down to the section is on a pilot metropolitan.

Maybe because not everyone finds it uncomfortable. I certainly don't. These kind of issues can vary greatly depending on hand size and manner of holding the pen.

(Careful readers will note I said holding, not gripping.)

Sailor Kenshin
February 13th, 2017, 02:12 PM

I forgot about it. The stepdown annoyed me at first, but I quickly got used to it.

RocketRyan
February 13th, 2017, 03:10 PM
That's the kind of info I try to did up with my questions.

RocketRyan
February 13th, 2017, 03:27 PM
Dig

carlc
March 10th, 2017, 09:36 AM
You still looking?

I've got both. You can borrow them if you want.

Carl

RocketRyan
March 10th, 2017, 03:18 PM
You still looking?

I've got both. You can borrow them if you want.

Carl

That would be very gentlemanly of you. I am currently still undecided, so that would be very helpful.
If anyone has seen my other posts I did finally decide on the blue 3776.

carlc
March 10th, 2017, 03:53 PM
PM me your address and I'll send them to you.