PDA

View Full Version : Jinhao 650 problem - won't draw ink, then leaks

Trixie.in.Dixie
March 19th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Of all the Chinese pens I have purchased, I have just one that is defective. It will not draw ink into the converter, and if I put ink into the converter with a syringe, most of it will just run right out thru the nib and then it will continue to seep through somewhere on the section/grip area. I really like this pen, but I have no idea how to fix the leak or where to look. I've only had it about a week and have been able to write with it once the ink stopped leaking out. I wrote a letter last night and it went for about 4 long pages before it ran out of ink. I tried putting another converter in it, but as I suspected, the converter is not the problem - it's somewhere in the feed/section that has a leak. Any suggestions before I chuck it and buy another one? This was the most expensive Chinese pen I had bought so far at about $25, so I hate to have to throw it away, but if it's not fixable....:(

KrazyIvan
March 19th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Is it possible the converter is not seating properly?

Sailor Kenshin
March 19th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Have you tried it with a cartridge?

Trixie.in.Dixie
March 20th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Sailor Kenshin

Have you tried it with a cartridge?

I have not, but I'll try that when I get home today.

KrazyIvan

Is it possible the converter is not seating properly?

I did try another converter, and it was a nice snug fit, so I don't think that could be it.

KrazyIvan
March 20th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Maybe the feed/nib are not seated properly in the section?

Trixie.in.Dixie
March 20th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Maybe the feed/nib are not seated properly in the section?

Well, yeah, but if I knew what to look for...

Sailor Kenshin
March 20th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Pictures of the nib a nd feed might help.

KrazyIvan
March 20th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Sometime it just needs a push inward. Sometime you might see a flat spot or groove inside the section. That is usually used to align the feed/nib.

Trixie.in.Dixie
March 20th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Sometime it just needs a push inward. Sometime you might see a flat spot or groove inside the section. That is usually used to align the feed/nib.

I'll look at it again tonight. I tried pushing inward on it while at the same time trying not to get too aggressive so I didn't break it. I think I should try to pull it apart completely and put it back together and see if that helps. You never know.

KrazyIvan
March 20th, 2013, 12:23 PM
While you have it apart, you might consider going over it with a tooth brush and soapy water. I know it is flowing too freely now but if you seat it properly, it might get a bit dry.

Trixie.in.Dixie
March 20th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Thanks, Ivan. I will do that. I remember, too, that sometimes pieces of stray plastic or other materials from the manufacturing process can get lodged inside the feeds on the very inexpensive pens. I'll be looking for anything that seems out of place.