PDA

View Full Version : Kneeling at the Pen Show?

Brilliant Bill
January 24th, 2017, 12:37 PM
Rather than hijack a thread I start this anew.

In a thread about the Philadelphia pen show is mention of a "tip." The tip, from a vendor, is that you kneel down at their table if you try writing with one of their pens. This is not a "tip" to me; rather it's acknowledging a blatant shortcoming of most pen shows. If you want to sell me a pen, you better have a chair I can sit in while I try it out.

At the Baltimore show last year, first thing I noticed was that Scott Franklin had a line of chairs for customers at his table. Not just chairs, he had different pens and nibs and paper and everything was inked. Consequently, I bought a pen from him, a pen I never would have imagined I'd buy or use -- because I could sit there as long as I like and try everything.

This bend over the table, or worse kneel to me, while trying a pen is an affront. Looking at a $500 pen at the Philadelphia show, the vendor offered me a pen, a bottle of ink for dipping -- and a bendover position at the table while aiming at an index card sized notepad to write on. Half the folks I've seen at pen shows also don't have the knees for getting down on the floor -- and some will need help getting up again!

Having managed exhibitions and shows myself I can understand the difficulties presented by adding space to accommodate chairs. And I know some folks will overstay their welcome, abuse the comfort, etc., but we're talking about writing with fountain pens. Writing, and fountain pens; and accommodating customers!

At my house, I never bend over my desk to write and I don't see myself kneeling at the kitchen table to pen a note to a friend. Why would I do this at a pen show where I'm making a judgement about buying a pen?

FrozenPen
January 24th, 2017, 12:54 PM
Good point Bill.
Out of habit, being tall, I tend to drop to one knee whenever I have a conversation with someone at work when they're sitting at their desk. It makes me uncomfortable to try talk to them as they crane their neck. I do the same thing at pen shows so never thought twice about it.
Maybe vendors need a "table podium" for customers to walk up and try out their wares - sort of a "stand up desk" concept.

Hawk
January 24th, 2017, 01:01 PM
Personally, it doesn't bother me. A chair, writing paper etc. would certainly be appreciated. I wouldn't walk away from a pen if I had to kneel or bend over to test the pen.

Jon Szanto
January 24th, 2017, 01:23 PM
And then there are shows where rows of chairs in front of the tables facing each other would make the aisles nearly impassable. Maybe one chair per area for those who sit down to do a dedicated testing of a pen...

KrazyIvan
January 24th, 2017, 05:25 PM
Sounds like a fire marshall waiting to close down a pen show to me.

penwash
January 24th, 2017, 06:18 PM
BYOC maybe?

I'm sorry but I just don't see how the venue would be able to provide a few chairs for each of the 140 tables (personal experience helping out at the Dallas Pen Show).
Let alone the space constraint, the walkways are full of people all the time.

Jon Szanto
January 24th, 2017, 06:57 PM
One thing we should all keep in mind is that every pen show venue is different, and one size doesn't fit all. The concept (at least some seating options) is certainly worthy of consideration by the individual show organizers.

sgtstretch
January 25th, 2017, 08:51 AM
I'm 6'8", so bending over at a table to try pens is not realistic in any imaginable way. But if I kneel, I'm at a workable height. Although people walking down between the tables now have to deal with tripping over 3 feet of legs in the aisle. There have been times when I dragged chairs over to a table to try things out.

DaveBj
January 25th, 2017, 09:15 AM
Interesting thread. I sometimes have back pain issues when I have to stand still for long periods of time, so I carry a seat cane in the truck for those time when I know long-term standing is in the offing. If I ever go to a pen show, I will have to remember to bring it in with me.

Brilliant Bill
January 25th, 2017, 01:58 PM
My recommend for portable seating...

http://walkstool.com/

penwash
January 25th, 2017, 02:40 PM
My recommend for portable seating...

http://walkstool.com/

That's a cool find, Bill!
I have to get me one of those :D

RonLyke
January 25th, 2017, 02:48 PM
A couple of vendors, Susan Wirth being one (and John something---the guy who seems to specialize in vintage flex nib pens) bring leg extensions with them for their tables, which raise the tables to a comfortable height. As a browser, I like that; other vendors might not like that, as they would have to stand or bring a high stool.

lsmith42
January 25th, 2017, 08:16 PM
Humility is often a virtue...

Jon Szanto
January 25th, 2017, 08:20 PM
Humility is often a virtue...

... but never a guarantee.

Farmboy
January 25th, 2017, 08:21 PM
One thing we should all keep in mind is that every pen show venue is different, and one size doesn't fit all. The concept (at least some seating options) is certainly worthy of consideration by the individual show organizers.
I think I had options covered. No/Yes?

Jon Szanto
January 25th, 2017, 09:51 PM

I was pleased. Trend-setter, you are.

Farmboy
January 25th, 2017, 10:22 PM

Tell your friends and bring them along.

Jon Szanto
January 25th, 2017, 10:30 PM

I can't. They're alergic to rockabilly.

Farmboy
January 25th, 2017, 11:17 PM

How about your internet pen friends that need to experience a real pen show/event that actually knows when it is having said event?

Farmboy
January 25th, 2017, 11:18 PM

How about your internet pen friends that need to experience a real pen show/event that actually knows when it is having said event?

And they have chairs AND tables!

Jon Szanto
January 25th, 2017, 11:29 PM

And they have chairs AND tables!

Works for me!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/0f/e9/85/0fe9856f68d210ce4b01fbc209566033.jpg

alexander_k
January 26th, 2017, 05:17 AM
They say that sitting is the new smoking. I must say I enjoy both under the right circumstances but carrying my own chair with me or kneeling to write something doesn't seem to be always practical or feasible. The solution might be different, namely having the right furniture. As several have pointed out, having chairs in a pen show might cause problems to pedestrian circulation and viewing the pens. An alternative would be to have some standing desks where people could try a pen, e.g. in between vendors. Such furniture seems like an unnecessary luxury today but not so long ago, when people actually had to do some writing in daily activities, they were commonplace, for example at a post office - but then are there any post offices left? Not in the Netherlands, I fear. We're losing not only such good solutions to daily needs but also our memories.

FredRydr
January 26th, 2017, 06:05 AM
At the beginning of shows where I have vendor tables, I get more chairs from the hotel for this very purpose. You'd be surprised how those chairs disappear overnight, only to reappear elsewhere in the room the next morning. :bolt: So I get more.

Fred