PDA

View Full Version : What's New? link - changes - Don't like

KrazyIvan
March 21st, 2013, 09:05 AM
I think the old way of listing threads that were updated is better. Right now it is too granular showing every single new post to any particular thread. When I don't check the forums on weekends I have a nice list of updated threads. The new way is going to make for a confusing read seeing all the posts to a thread.

KrazyIvan
March 21st, 2013, 09:07 AM
One more thing. As I would read a thread, that thread would drop off the "what's new?" list. Now it does not. Makes it even more confusing. I am a list maker and the old way worked for me. I hope we can go back to it. Change for the sake of change is not really a good idea. Unless the old system was broken in some way?

KrazyIvan
March 21st, 2013, 09:10 AM
And never mind. I see the old way of viewing things is select-able. Something must have changed in the Matrix to have moved my default view. I like the "New Posts" view. The "Activity Stream" view is awful. :) So I guess it would be nice if the "What's New?" button defaulted back to the "New Posts" link instead of the "Activity Stream"

Toffer
March 21st, 2013, 01:12 PM
I wondered what had happened!! I didn't like it, but was glad to see the what's new button shows as it used too.

Jon Szanto
March 21st, 2013, 01:44 PM
I thought I was going nuts. I DO NOT LIKE the way What's New is popping up now, I want to hit the site and see the threads that have new responses in them in a list, just like before. Sure, it can be done, but with more clicks.

If this wasn't a change that happened automagically with a new version of the forum software, could we please have the old behavior back, Please??

KrazyIvan
March 21st, 2013, 01:56 PM
Purdy please and thank you. :)

KrazyIvan
March 28th, 2013, 09:19 AM
I sort of have a workable alternative. You click through to "What's New" then "New Posts" Click the first thread. When I am done reading the thread I go back to the new posts page via keyboard shortcut, "Alt-left arrow key" and then click on new posts again. This clears off the threads I have read. Rinse, repeat.

KrazyIvan
April 5th, 2013, 08:52 AM
I don't know if I missed it but earlier this week I noticed the new posts link seems more prominent. Makes for much easier navigation through new content. Thank you.

Sailor Kenshin
April 5th, 2013, 09:03 AM
I haven't seen any changes but maybe it's because I view this on my iPad?

KrazyIvan
April 5th, 2013, 10:46 AM
I see the changes on my iPad via Safari. The what's new link did not change but just under it the new post link seems to have moved once you pull up the first list of new threads.

PSmith
April 13th, 2013, 10:28 AM
I'm not a big fan of the 'Activity Stream' either.

My solution is to modify the link in the navigation bar with a bit of JavaScript. Not ideal but it works.
The script requires Greasemonkey, i.e. Firefox, but might be coaxed to work in other browsers as well.

// ==UserScript==
// @name Modify What's new
// @namespace http://fpgeeks.com
// @include http://fpgeeks.com/forum/*
// @version 1
// @grant none
// ==/UserScript==

var whatsnew = document.getElementById('vbtab_whatsnew');

if (whatsnew) {
var anchor = whatsnew.firstChild;

while (anchor && anchor.nodeType != 1)
anchor = anchor.nextSibling;

if (anchor && anchor.tagName.toLowerCase() === 'a') {
anchor.href = "search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post";
anchor.textContent = "New Posts";
}
}

// ==/UserScript==

dannzeman
April 30th, 2013, 07:17 PM
The "What's New?" tab should be functioning the way it used to now. Sorry, I completely missed this thread and didn't notice the change because I always click the "New Posts" link right below "Forum" tab.

KrazyIvan
April 30th, 2013, 07:22 PM
The "What's New?" tab should be functioning the way it used to now. Sorry, I completely missed this thread and didn't notice the change because I always click the "New Posts" link right below "Forum" tab.

Thank you sir! I was working around it but I appreciate it. :)