PDA

View Full Version : Ink Review: Diamine Saddle Brown

Chrissy
January 25th, 2017, 12:01 PM
This is the second brown ink that I’m reviewing, that I haven’t used before. This one is Diamine Saddle Brown

This is still quite a rich brown, not as dark and rich as Chocolate Brown, but still a really nice shade, with a hint of red. More of a milk chocolate than a dark chocolate. Saddle Brown is a good name for it, as I remember having a saddle that was this colour a long time ago.

I saw some shading because it’s a less saturated ink than Chocolate Brown. It’s drier than Chocolate Brown ink and I noticed that it dried quickly on my thick, coated Xerox paper as well as the other papers I tested it on. I experienced no problems at all while I was writing with it. It had a smooth flow with a lubricated line. II saw no skips or hard starts, and it didn't dry out on the nib while I was doing swab tests.

For me it was a well-behaved ink, as well as being a nice colour. It only exhibited show through on Field Notes paper, but so do most inks.

It isn't sold as water resistant, but there was a little water resistance.

This isn't sold as a waterproof ink, but shows a little water resistance.
Bearing in mind the review form paper I use is thick with a shiny surface at 100gsm, and I used Lamy F,M and B nibs, this ink took 10-12 secs secs to dry using the M nib.
No smear after dry.
It exhibited good flow and I found it smooth to write with. I saw no skips or hard starts while I did swabs and dry time tests.
It is currently available in 80ml glass bottles or 30ml plastic bottles
Diamine (http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/listings.aspx?catid=14) sell it directly to end-users on their web-site.
It's a reasonable price.

Chroma Test strip

Lady Onogaro
January 25th, 2017, 12:44 PM
That chroma test strip is pretty interesting. I would not have expected to see those colors in this ink.

KrazyIvan
January 25th, 2017, 02:41 PM
I have a bottle because it was sent to me in error. They let me keep it. I like brown ink but this one has yet to grow on me.

Chrissy
January 25th, 2017, 03:23 PM
That chroma test strip is pretty interesting. I would not have expected to see those colors in this ink.

I thought that too. I repeated the test because of it. :)

Chrissy
January 25th, 2017, 03:24 PM
I have a bottle because it was sent to me in error. They let me keep it. I like brown ink but this one has yet to grow on me.

I think you did well. I like the colour. If you wanted to sell it when I'm next in the US........

southpaw52
January 26th, 2017, 11:51 AM
Another excellent review. The chroma test was very interesting to see the colors that make this color. It is a different brown, a more truer brown with a depth and richness.

Chrissy
January 26th, 2017, 03:14 PM
Another excellent review. The chroma test was very interesting to see the colors that make this color. It is a different brown, a more truer brown with a depth and richness.

Thank you, you're welcome. :) Yes I have tested many brown inks, and this is the first time a chroma test like this one came up. :)