PDA

View Full Version : The Dilly by Fountain Pen Revolution

writingrav
March 21st, 2013, 01:43 PM

I couldn't resist purchasing this new pen from Fountain Pen Revolution because it seemed like a great opportunity to acquire a neat looking pen and try out the flex nibs they offer that I'd read so much about. For $18.00 nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Really, someone (me?) should put together a little article about all the incredible pens that have become available lately under $25.00. Add this to the Pilot Metropolitan, Nemosene Singularity and others and it begins to be really difficult to justify spending much more. Unlike the Singularity and more like the Metropolitan, this pen does not at all feel cheap in the hand. Rather, it sports a very nice feeling plastic that could be almost mistaken for a more expensive resin, very nicely shaped with an impressive clip. It is a twist off cap and, more to the point, a piston filler and a perfectly good one at that. The section is a bit indented and I have lately found that that makes a big difference for me in comfort for long writing sessions. I was first struck by it on my Edison Beaumont, again on the new Twisbi 580 and the Dilli follows that trend. The nib looks a bit small for the pen, but while I have a long way to go at controlling a flex pen consistently I'm having a very good time trying.

And the best part is that Kevin of FPR enclosed a complimentary Serwex pen to boot!

manoeuver
March 21st, 2013, 02:47 PM
I'll be excited to pick up a couple of these soon...

earthdawn
March 21st, 2013, 04:13 PM
I got mine yesterday with the stub nib.

Only wrote a little with it but it posts good and writes pretty darn smoothly.

And at $20 shipped you can't go wrong

KrazyIvan
March 21st, 2013, 04:23 PM
I amy have to look into this one but maybe latter. :)

fountainpenkid
March 22nd, 2013, 08:56 PM
Hmmmm.interesting to hear it works! Great job to the people who made it happen!

earthdawn
March 23rd, 2013, 12:25 AM
My only thing with it was that the grip section was or is narrow. I have big hands.... so my fingers were getting sqeezed together I and had to pull my thumb back a little so it was actually resting on the threads to hold it.
I had some flex nibs from FPR from a while back. I got some extras with the MB I bought from them. So I swapped out the stub for the flex to see how the feed would keep up and it was magic. I also changed my grip. I moved up to just above the threads and everything came together. It is not awkward at all. Maybe the first couple of words but them it just worked.

I found the stub was great but sharp. I cut my paper doing some lines. Like going up from left to right at about a 45 degree angle I have to lighten my stroke or it would grab.

Anywho ... jusr dropping in a couple of thoughts... $20 shipped... PLUS he tossed in a Serwex too ... how can you go wrong!!!

cedargirl
March 24th, 2013, 02:05 AM
I think it's a great pen for the price. I also got a stub and it is a little scratchy, but I'm getting quite good at nib smoothing and will give it a go. The section is narrow, but I tend to hold it a little higher, anyway.

I really like the piston action. It was really easy to fill. And there aren't that many factory fine stubs around, that I'm aware of.

For those of you who go the flex option, I've been using a FPR flex nib in a Serwex pen now for six months and it has softened up considerably. It gets nicer to write with every day (but I don't write by flexing it, its just a soft nib to use).

And the freebie pen was fun too.

heymatthew
April 1st, 2013, 07:46 AM
I was curious about these pens... Now my curiosity is even more intense. I suppose one of these will be showing up at my doorstep sometime soon. Thanks. Yet another "brown box" to explain to the wife. :D

SmoovD
April 8th, 2013, 08:22 PM
I purchased a few when they were released. The parcel arrived in short order. One did not make the trip well but was quickly replaced by Kevin. If you have not done business with Kevin, you are missing out. Anyway, my experience is that the medium nibs perform well. The feed delivers plenty of ink and the nib is smooth. The flex tended to be afflicted by dry starts so its next fill will be with a wetter ink. All in all, quite a nice little pen for the money.

magnesium68
April 13th, 2013, 08:15 AM

The Dilli next to the Noodlers Creaper, for me the choice is clear the FPR pen is the way to go!

jor412
April 13th, 2013, 10:12 AM

The Dilli next to the Noodlers Creaper, for me the choice is clear the FPR pen is the way to go!

I was just about to ask how the pens compare to Noodler's pens. From what I've read here and there, Noodler's pen parts are sourced from various parts of the world, including India. But when I look at pics on FPR, I see that the piston mechanism of some Indian pens is quite similar (or may be the same as) Noodler's pens. My question is this: does the plastic of the Dilly feel more solid than the Creaper?

magnesium68
April 13th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Yes , the plastic feel better and also the grip is nice because of the shoulder.The Creaper is a Chelpark maverick pen with a different nib http://www.fountainpenrevolution.com/wpimages/wpb2989ffc_01_06.jpg

jor412
April 13th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the info. The Konrad (not the ebonite version) and Ahab seem to have sturdier plastic than the Creaper but I'm probably wrong since they all seem to share the same or similar colors. I'll now be looking at the Dilly. :)

snedwos
April 15th, 2013, 10:57 AM
The creaper I bought didn't feel any more or less sturdy than my Ahab... Speaking of which, while the Ahab doesn't seem to be a particular model sold by FPR, the clip is definitely there on a few of them, as well as the shape of the end of the barrel...

Come to think of it, if my creaper breaks, I can get replacement parts from Kevin for less money than buying a new pen from Noodler's. Unless I really want the colour...

magnesium68
April 15th, 2013, 09:02 PM
The Ahab seem to be an hybrid between the Camlin SD and the Camlin 4R.

chadden
April 25th, 2013, 09:12 AM
I have a medium Dilli and really enjoy it. The nib sometimes feels a bit scratchy; I have tried the grocery bag routine but it hasn't changed. This occurs on a variety of papers. The size makes it a great shirt pocket pen.

Has anybody else had scratchy issues?? Have you solved them??

KrazyIvan
April 25th, 2013, 10:12 AM
I have a medium Dilli and really enjoy it. The nib sometimes feels a bit scratchy; I have tried the grocery bag routine but it hasn't changed. This occurs on a variety of papers. The size makes it a great shirt pocket pen.

Has anybody else had scratchy issues?? Have you solved them??

Not specifically with the Dilly but I have a Serwex MB with a flex nib that looks to be the same one used in the Dilly. It was a little scratchy but I smoothed it down with some buff sticks.

caribbean_skye
April 25th, 2013, 10:33 AM
I received the blue flex one in the mail recently and my only issue is that it seems to run through ink faster than I'd like. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue? I haven't used my Ahab in a while so it could be that I'm just not remembering how quickly it goes through ink, but I thought it would last longer than it did.

writingrav
April 25th, 2013, 12:17 PM
I received the blue flex one in the mail recently and my only issue is that it seems to run through ink faster than I'd like. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue? I haven't used my Ahab in a while so it could be that I'm just not remembering how quickly it goes through ink, but I thought it would last longer than it did.

Asolutely. It runs through ink faster than any pen I've ever used.

caribbean_skye
April 25th, 2013, 12:25 PM
I kept trying to see how much ink was in there but the blue wasn't transparent enough for that.

writingrav
April 25th, 2013, 01:30 PM
I kept trying to see how much ink was in there but the blue wasn't transparent enough for that.

Same

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

fountainpenkid
April 25th, 2013, 02:30 PM

Same

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
That's a shame.

KrazyIvan
April 25th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Really? Wow, it looks so transparent in the pictures.

klpeabody
April 25th, 2013, 06:42 PM
I keep hearing about this pen! I may have to try it to see what all the "fuss" is about. =)

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
May 15th, 2013, 07:14 AM
My addiction got to me last night, one is on order. Thanks for the reviews!

Mags
May 18th, 2013, 07:53 PM
the FPR dilli is a wonderful.little pen....while less sturdy than say a TWSBI it is a good performing little pen. the plastics are a little fragile looking but holding.up well.

Mags sent from my blackberry playbook using tapatalks

Torben
October 22nd, 2013, 03:13 PM
I tried the Dilly with medium nib for drawing and it performed great with some traditional Quink. I like drawing with my Waterman Phileas but this pen makes more exciting vibrant lines. Suddenly your artwork lives. Like oldfashioned dipping nibs? So flex nibs both for writing and drawing are my favorites. I have a Dilly with a fine nib too and it's fun too. When you use these pens you get the urge to write your memoirs. They're fun.