PDA

View Full Version : Whitelines: what do people think?

snedwos
March 22nd, 2013, 06:57 PM
I browsed around the Andersons' site earlier and found myself looking long and hard at the Whitelines notebooks, especially the Link notebooks. That app looks cool, and they seem to be coming up with an android version soon!

But the important thing is the paper: what do people who have used it think?

writingrav
March 22nd, 2013, 07:39 PM
I bought a notebook from the Andersons' in Baltimore and just started it today. I'd heard mixed reviews vis-a-vis fountain pen friendliness. After writing with it all day I can report
no feathering or bleed through with any of various pens and inks from brought wet writers to fine. The very broad or very wet inks do cause a little show through, but not terrible. The cool part is finishing a page and having look like you wrote nice and straight without lines. I wish they made a tablet or single sheet stationary but I haven't seen any.

Bogon07
March 22nd, 2013, 07:49 PM
They are also available from the BookDespository (free shipping :) )
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/search?searchTerm=whitelines&search=Find+book

Some FP & liquid inks bleed through the pages of the ones I have but other inks perform quite well. Not recommend with wide italic nibs and free flowing ink. The grey printed paper may make some of the lighter inks, especially oranges look less attractive than normal. However you will be quite satisfied if using the right nib and ink combination.

Generally slightly better performance than Moleskines and from BookDespository better value in Australia with a wide range of products. Most are available with either the white or black cover.

snedwos
March 23rd, 2013, 04:21 PM
They are also available from the BookDespository (free shipping :) )
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/search?searchTerm=whitelines&search=Find+book

Some FP & liquid inks bleed through the pages of the ones I have but other inks perform quite well. Not recommend with wide italic nibs and free flowing ink. The grey printed paper may make some of the lighter inks, especially oranges look less attractive than normal. However you will be quite satisfied if using the right nib and ink combination.

Generally slightly better performance than Moleskines and from BookDespository better value in Australia with a wide range of products. Most are available with either the white or black cover.

I suspect my best option (right now) will be Whitelines webstore (with free shipping above 300SEK, which isn't all that hard to fill up). But come Sept, when I'll need it for my new postgrad course, a US source will be best.

snedwos
March 23rd, 2013, 06:36 PM
writingrav: would this be what you're looking for?

http://whitelines.se/products/category/orange-glue

http://whitelines.se/products/category/flip-over

writingrav
March 24th, 2013, 05:45 AM
writingrav: would this be what you're looking for?

http://whitelines.se/products/category/orange-glue

http://whitelines.se/products/category/flip-over

The Orange Glue version just might be. Thanks!

KrazyIvan
March 24th, 2013, 08:13 PM
I've been wanting to try them but I keep putting it off. I really need to use up my notebook/journal inventory before buying more. I buy more anyway but I really should use up my stock. :p

Bogon07
March 24th, 2013, 08:36 PM
I've been wanting to try them but I keep putting it off. I really need to use up my notebook/journal inventory before buying more. I buy more anyway but I really should use up my stock. :p
Maybe you'll find some in an InCo corro in the near future. :lazy2:

Think an ever so slightly better paper than Field Notes Northerly Edition.

earthdawn
March 24th, 2013, 09:22 PM
I got one from teh Andersons at the LI show.

Its the A4 size Squared version.

I found that noodlers feather a little... The Qin Shi Huang lives to feather on most paper though I have found. But even the Baystate blue feathers. X-feather does not of course. Akkermans seems to play pretty nice with it though.

I do like the feel of the paper.

If anyone would like to try it I would be glad to cut out a few sheets and send them out.
Just PM me you address. I don't think it is working out to be a favorite & it is not cheap at all. $9 for the notebook. Not that its especially overpriced but it is a little pricey and works just OK in my opinion at the end of the day.

John the Monkey
March 25th, 2013, 02:52 AM
I'd agree with earthdawn's assessment of these - they're not cheap (I tested a small perfect bound notebook) and fussier inks don't like them.

Unless you're really wanting to try the whitelines ruling (which is nifty, to be fair) there's better out there for the same money or less.

tytoalba
April 1st, 2013, 03:55 PM
love white lines... wish it was easily/locally available as is Staples Eco-Friendly bagasse paper - and as inexpensive too...

Mags
April 1st, 2013, 06:51 PM
I purchased a pad and a small notebook and find the paper is good and the ink is a quicker.drying time. For a leftie the fast drying inks or paper cuts my smudge and smear issues.

Mags sent from my blackberry playbook using tapatalks

AtomicLeo
May 5th, 2013, 03:16 PM
I use a mix pens with these notebooks at work (Lamy F, Hero 616, Serwex, Ratnamsom) with mostly Noodler inks (Black, BBK, Zhivago, ReBlack), the paper holds up well, however I would not recommend the wire bound notebooks. Pages came loose from the spiral in two notebooks, making them almost useless.

velo
May 5th, 2013, 09:10 PM
I'd agree with earthdawn's assessment of these - they're not cheap (I tested a small perfect bound notebook) and fussier inks don't like them.

Unless you're really wanting to try the whitelines ruling (which is nifty, to be fair) there's better out there for the same money or less.

I think so too. I love the colour of the paper and the faded lines but it's too fussy with FP inks. Even a gel ink rollerball bled through.

matveik
May 5th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Like others, I liked the concept but not the execution. The wirebound journal did not hold up well over time, and I was limited to fine nibs and a few inks. With their pricing, they're in a mid-market position that suggests they may consider doing a FP-friendly journal or two. I hope so!

KCat
May 13th, 2013, 09:25 AM
I've been using them for quite some time and love them. Never had a problem with the paper tearing out. I buy the perforated. I used to get the "hardwire" version but had a leather cover made with binder board and use the soft cover wire bound now. I imagine it depends on how you use them. I don't work outside the home. Maybe folks having problems, do. For me the attraction is that they aren't slick like rhodia and CF. I needed something that was fast drying as Wags? mentioned (can't scroll up on phone) and that gave me control over my smooth nibs instead of the nibs skating around the page. I used to use Black n' Red for this but they changed their paper and it no longer absorbs well. And I do love the lower eye strain on my migraine prone head. Still, I think they're an acquired taste. If you have a need for them like I do: fast, daily writing, no smearing, low contrast, still largely FP friendly (not perfect but good enough), they're great. If you just want a cool notebook but demand zero show through and slick smooth pages, they're not for you.

My one complaint is that I write late at night in low light sometimes and then the lack of lines makes for an, um, interesting page. :)

theolu
June 6th, 2013, 08:17 AM
I've been using Whitelines staplebound pocket notebooks for the last couple months, got a three-pack. It's a nice concept that has worked well for me. I did have some showthrough when using my Pilot Petit1 with Pilot Blue/Black ink - enough that I only used it one-sided. The second notebook I used my Highace Neo with Jentle Blue/Black ink - no showthrough, I can use both sides of the paper. Neither pen exhibited any feathering.

I'd buy them again but they probably won't be one of my go-to pocket notebook. It's a neat concept and it works but there's definitely a novelty factor to it.

enchiridion
June 12th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Like others, I liked the concept but not the execution. The wirebound journal did not hold up well over time, and I was limited to fine nibs and a few inks. With their pricing, they're in a mid-market position that suggests they may consider doing a FP-friendly journal or two. I hope so!

I like the hard bound version, the stapled is not very interesting.

Poeticnook
November 19th, 2013, 10:14 AM
I'm looking for the pocket stapled ones to substitute with my field notes, any US resellers yet? I tried Anderson pens but they don't have that model

http://whitelines.se/products/category/stapled-pack/?item=wl213

AtomicLeo
November 19th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Paper is not bad for smallish nibs (mf-xf). Avoid the spiral bound notebooks. I bought two that came undone after a few months use.

cwent2
November 20th, 2013, 08:53 AM
I'm looking for the pocket stapled ones to substitute with my field notes, any US resellers yet? I tried Anderson pens but they don't have that model

http://whitelines.se/products/category/stapled-pack/?item=wl213

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_11?url=search-alias%3Doffice-products&field-keywords=whitelines&sprefix=white+lines%