PDA

View Full Version : HOW DO YOU MANAGE YOUR CORRESPONDENCE?

cedargirl
March 22nd, 2013, 06:59 PM
I’m really enjoying InCoWriMo – the gift that goes on giving!

As well as enjoying the exchanges, it’s thrown me into problem solving mode. Specifically, how to keep track of addresses, letters in and out, inks and papers used, etc.
This didn’t fit into my current contacts database. It’s not like me to be this anal, but I felt the need to do it properly. So I went looking.

I found a free program called E-Z Contact Book. It seems to be working for me for all my InCoWriMo and InCo Pen Pals addresses.
It has a notes section for each contact where I can track dates of letters in and out as well as inks/papers used.
I can create various groups to suit, including one called “For Reply” so no-one gets forgotten.

But I’m interested in what others do.

Do you track this sort of stuff?

If so, how? Electronically? A physical letter filing system? By memory?
Do you just wing it? Are you a glutton for surprise and the unexpected?

Also, how do you keep track of what’s been said, especially with lots of people on your list?

I’m new to this and it’s easy for me at the moment. But I worry that down the track I’m just going to get repetitive and boring.
Well, maybe I am already! :) In which case, I promise to get better. :jester:

I’d love to hear how you manage this sort of thing. Or not!

TheRoXFiles
March 22nd, 2013, 07:29 PM
Well...my system for InCoWriMo has been to use a spiral-bound notebook to write all my letters. The notebook has a perforated edge to give a clean looking page when I tear it out.

On the first page, I've kept a list of who's gotten a letter from me, along with the date I've written each one. If I'm replying to someone's letter, I jot that down too. I'm now up to my second page of recipients. (And the notebook's almost empty, so I'm gonna have to tear that "sent" list out and stick that in the next notebook.) :)

For addresses, well...most of the InCo penpals have their name and info available here at the forum, so if I'm ever in doubt, I can look that up.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not concerned about remembering everything I've talked about in my letters. I'll be reminded of some of the things I've talked about, based on what my penpals say to me in their reply letters. But it's okay with me that I don't remember exactly what I've said. I think that not remembering everything is good because there's wiggle room for opening up new topics of conversation.

Also: I've kept every single letter I've gotten since last month. I've kept them in a plastic box, in no specific order, and I don't intend to throw out a single one. I think I'll have to buy more (or bigger) plastic boxes instead once this one is crammed full. :P But yeah...InCoWriMo (and now "InCo" without the "WriMo") means a great deal to me. :)

writingrav
March 22nd, 2013, 07:43 PM
My system until incowrimo was to keep a letter journal. I write every letter in the journal and then copy it to stationary for mailing. All letters I receive are hole punched and filed in a looseleaf under a divider by name. However, the number of incowrimos letters swamped this system. I just wrote the first letters.However coreespondances that have continued past one letter revert to the regular system.

cedargirl
March 22nd, 2013, 08:02 PM
Hi TheRoXFiles

I can see how the list in the notebook would work. That's a nice easy system.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not concerned about remembering everything I've talked about in my letters. I'll be reminded of some of the things I've talked about, based on what my penpals say to me in their reply letters. But it's okay with me that I don't remember exactly what I've said. I think that not remembering everything is good because there's wiggle room for opening up new topics of conversation.

Also: I've kept every single letter I've gotten since last month. I've kept them in a plastic box, in no specific order, and I don't intend to throw out a single one. I think I'll have to buy more (or bigger) plastic boxes instead once this one is crammed full. :P But yeah...InCoWriMo (and now "InCo" without the "WriMo") means a great deal to me. :)

I see what you mean about remembering some of what you said based on the replies you get, and having some wiggle room. I'm glad you've found that works OK.

I, too, have been keeping all the letters I receive. They are just so lovely. And I like having the samples of ink and paper. It's given me a few ideas for adding to my wish list. (No! Someone stop me. Don't spend any more money!)

cedargirl
March 22nd, 2013, 08:05 PM
My system until incowrimo was to keep a letter journal. I write every letter in the journal and then copy it to stationary for mailing. All letters I receive are hole punched and filed in a looseleaf under a divider by name. However, the number of incowrimos letters swamped this system. I just wrote the first letters.However coreespondances that have continued past one letter revert to the regular system.

I know what you mean by being swamped! But I was coming off a base of zero. I was surprised and delighted by all of the letters.

So, with your system for your regulars, you have a complete record of what you've written ans well as what's been written to you. Do you refer back through the history before writing your letters?

TheRoXFiles
March 22nd, 2013, 08:14 PM
Hi TheRoXFiles

I can see how the list in the notebook would work. That's a nice easy system.

I see what you mean about remembering some of what you said based on the replies you get, and having some wiggle room. I'm glad you've found that works OK.

I, too, have been keeping all the letters I receive. They are just so lovely. And I like having the samples of ink and paper. It's given me a few ideas for adding to my wish list. (No! Someone stop me. Don't spend any more money!)

Well--my system works well for me because I spend so much of my time on-the-go. The nice thing about using a spiral-bound notebook is that all the letters will stay in one place and won't get messed up. I can keep them in the notebook and tear them out when I'm ready to put them into envelopes.

It also helps to get the spiral-bound notebooks that have at least one folder-y pocket in them. The one I have has two pockets. What I like to do is keep the penpal mail in one pocket, then move them to the other pocket when I've read them. (I open the letters right away and stick them in that one pocket, then read them one by one as I'm writing responses, so I don't want to get them mixed up.) I also like keeping some spare envelopes in the pockets, too, just in case.

writingrav
March 22nd, 2013, 09:44 PM
I know what you mean by being swamped! But I was coming off a base of zero. I was surprised and delighted by all of the letters.

So, with your system for your regulars, you have a complete record of what you've written ans well as what's been written to you. Do you refer back through the history before writing your letters?

Yes. I usually re-read my last letter quickly before stating a reply to an intervening letter.

manoeuver
March 23rd, 2013, 04:21 AM
unreplied-to mail is in a pile on the left. replied-to mail is in a pile on the right. I've got a backlog of 16 letters right now- hope to knock out 3 this morning before work.

no lists, scans or notes. life's too short! Most of my ramblings are bizarre enough that I won't repeat myself.

I do reread a received letter as I write a reply. Many of you writers ask very good questions.

Tracy Lee
March 23rd, 2013, 05:32 AM
unreplied-to mail is in a pile on the left. replied-to mail is in a pile on the right. I've got a backlog of 16 letters right now- hope to knock out 3 this morning before work.

no lists, scans or notes. life's too short! Most of my ramblings are bizarre enough that I won't repeat myself.

I do reread a received letter as I write a reply. Many of you writers ask very good questions.

This is my system too, only reverse the left and right. I have about the same needing replies, plus two received yesterday. I am going to work through the pile this weekend. I will be gone the first two+ weeks of April and want to leave with a clean slate. For any received while gone, my husband and I have a plan. I am taking pens and paper and all of that with me, he will scan incoming letters and email them so I can have them handy while writing back. Then I can enjoy them fresh when I get home.

fountainpenkid
March 23rd, 2013, 08:22 AM
I just pile up all the letters I've recieved and read in one pile, and put all the envelopes in another pile. Letters that I haven't replied to yet are kept in their envelope at the top of the envelope pile.
I haven't made any sort of contacts list...I simply look back at the envelopes when I want to write to someone.

PostMuse
March 23rd, 2013, 03:26 PM
I have a rather extensive spreadsheet database to keep track of incoming. It has the day received, name, brief description of correspondence and a column for "age" that has a formula so it always tells me exactly how long that piece of mail has been waiting for response. I get a huge volume of mail, so having such a database is very important for keeping me from getting overwhelmed. The spreadsheet has a second page for me to move replied mail to once I've put it in the mailbox. I note the date sent and keep track of how long it took me to respond. My average turnaround is 20 days, but at the moment up around 35 days, and I think that is going to be my new average.

On the outgoing mail I keep all addresses in a digital address book ... Mac Address Book ... that syncs to my phone so I have it with me at all time. At the moment my address book has 9,902 contacts. On each contact card I note what stationery I sent, and when I sent it and sometimes why I sent it (thank you for Orphaned Postcard Project participation ... congrats on new job ... etc). Some of my contacts have pages and pages of entries, but most only have one or two entries because I include all my Postcrossing sends in my address book and those are typically, but not always, one time only connections.

Incoming mail is stored in a mail sorter that looks like this one (http://www.amazon.com/SLOT-WOODEN-LETTER-ORGANIZER-DRAWER/dp/B004AKU02Y/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&qid=1364072941&sr=8-37&keywords=mail+sorter), but I am seriously considering buying a surplus USPS mail sorter because it is crazy trying to stuff my mail in those tiny slots, and at the end of the month, I usually have mail from the beginning of the month still unanswered so there is no place to put the new mail.

I have various systems for storing incoming mail, none of them satisfactory, and none of them worth noting. I struggle with that all the time. I really need a storage facility where I can catalog and store everything nice and proper, but that isn't going to happen.

Keeping track of what has been written becomes easier as you get to know someone. I know I repeat myself on occasion, but that's okay. Mostly I try to keep to what is going on right at the moment when I am writing. I used to keep copies of letters, but I know that if I tried that again, it would bog me down. I often write on the go, and I don't want to have to carry around copies of letters because goodness knows I'm already carrying a small person on my back with just the incoming, ALL my pens, extra ink, stationery, postage (I keep about $200 on hand at all times), and the other sundry mail enthusiast accoutrements.

fountainpenkid
March 23rd, 2013, 04:56 PM
That is a TON of letters postmuse!!! I wish I was bogged down with letters like you are!

gwgtaylor
March 23rd, 2013, 05:53 PM
I created a neat system with my phone. I'm using box.com combined with a free app called genius scan.

On box.com I create a folder for each person I correspond with. In this folder I upload a screen cap of address from the forum or a snapshot of address from received letter. That's how I save and track addresses.

As far as what I send, I take a picture with genius scan and save as PDF to box.com. I can then refer back to what I've written and inks used. Each file is also automatically date stamped.

I'm pretty proud of my system. Let me know what you think.

-gerald

vhr5
March 23rd, 2013, 06:12 PM
Hello, I really don't have an advanced system at this time, although I have taken a moment to add everyone whom I have ever corresponded with to my Gmail contact list under a separate tag (InCoWriMo). Therefore, I can always access the mailing addresses through my smartphone, with referring to the envelopes or my computer.

I've been keeping all of my incoming letters on my desk in a pile and I move them into another pile when I am finished writing that person a letter. Instead of keeping a log, I'm trying to paint a mental picture of each person I write to, in the same way we mentally paint a picture of someone we hear over the radio. There is a place for notes within my Gmail Contacts, so if I need to, I can write a quick note to myself about something sent, received, etc.

I try to base my letters off of what the other person has stated in their letter. I also try to remind them or rephrase what they mentioned to me in my letters. I will try not to repeat myself, but I am human and I will understand if others repeat themselves also. Sometimes I refer back to older letters to provide myself with some history and perhaps start new topic.

I too have kept every letter, postcard, and note that has ever been sent to me currently and during InCoWriMo, they are all special to me! As my correspondence pile as it grows, I plan to keep all the letters, etc in a plastic storage box. Since, I haven't received much correspondence as others on this forum has, my current pile is manageable. I'm sure as time passes my system will evolve and change.

fountainpenkid
March 23rd, 2013, 06:25 PM
It seems like you people don't reply to the letters you receive on the day you get them...is this why y'all need these systems, or are you all getting TONS of letters? :)

KrazyIvan
March 23rd, 2013, 08:03 PM
I created a neat system with my phone. I'm using box.com combined with a free app called genius scan.

On box.com I create a folder for each person I correspond with. In this folder I upload a screen cap of address from the forum or a snapshot of address from received letter. That's how I save and track addresses.

As far as what I send, I take a picture with genius scan and save as PDF to box.com. I can then refer back to what I've written and inks used. Each file is also automatically date stamped.

-gerald

Yours is the system I would probably go with, if I have too simple of a system. :)

I keep unread letters with me. I write whenever I get a chance so having the letters with me makes it easy to write on a moments notice. I read the letter as I write my response. When the letter is complete. I write an "R" on the read letter. This serves to let me know I replied and it also shows me what ink and pen I used in the reply.

Tracy Lee
March 23rd, 2013, 08:21 PM

-gerald

I am kinda liking this approach. I may look into the app, and I have thought I should also be looking more carefully at the capability of Evernote, which I also like using.

gwgtaylor
March 23rd, 2013, 11:02 PM
Yours is the system I would probably go with, if I have too simple of a system. :)

I keep unread letters with me. I write whenever I get a chance so having the letters with me makes it easy to write on a moments notice. I read the letter as I write my response. When the letter is complete. I write an "R" on the read letter. This serves to let me know I replied and it also shows me what ink and pen I used in the reply.

I do the same thing. I Cary tablets, envelopes and postage wherever I go and use two zippered pockets on my man purse as in and out boxes. My system of archiving letters still works because its based on my smartphone and cloud storage.

gwgtaylor
March 23rd, 2013, 11:04 PM
I am kinda liking this approach. I may look into the app, and I have thought I should also be looking more carefully at the capability of Evernote, which I also like using.

The genius scan app is brilliant and I even paid to unlock the pro features so it would upload directly to box.com. It's a great scanner too and uses the camera but corrects skew so it looks like it was scanned on a flatbed. Amazing!

gwgtaylor
March 23rd, 2013, 11:06 PM
It seems like you people don't reply to the letters you receive on the day you get them...is this why y'all need these systems, or are you all getting TONS of letters? :)

I often don't read them the day I receive them. They go into my in pile and I deal with them when I have time on a FIFO basis.

Bogon07
March 23rd, 2013, 11:51 PM
I just write an incoming and an outgoing list and keep all the letters in a box. Sorting the letters in the box is the biggest concern now that I've rec'd more than one letter from some INCO+ enthusiasts.
I figure I spend too much time being organised at work to do the same at home.

woosang
March 24th, 2013, 01:24 AM
I just Wing it!

Toffer
March 24th, 2013, 04:15 AM
I have a box with all my stationary and letters in and then they go in another box when I have replied. I keep the ones I haven't replied to yet in order of received so I reply to oldest ones first. Managing one letter every other day at the moment!

cedargirl
March 24th, 2013, 06:02 AM
Thanks Manoeuver

Yes, it is interesting how a discussion can develop through letters.

Bizarre ramblings ... no never!

cedargirl
March 24th, 2013, 06:05 AM
I just pile up all the letters I've recieved and read in one pile, and put all the envelopes in another pile. Letters that I haven't replied to yet are kept in their envelope at the top of the envelope pile.
I haven't made any sort of contacts list...I simply look back at the envelopes when I want to write to someone.

Yep, piles of letters - it's obviously very popular. Thanks.

cedargirl
March 24th, 2013, 06:11 AM
I have a rather extensive spreadsheet database to keep track of incoming. It has the day received, name, brief description of correspondence and a column for "age" that has a formula so it always tells me exactly how long that piece of mail has been waiting for response. I get a huge volume of mail, so having such a database is very important for keeping me from getting overwhelmed. The spreadsheet has a second page for me to move replied mail to once I've put it in the mailbox. I note the date sent and keep track of how long it took me to respond. My average turnaround is 20 days, but at the moment up around 35 days, and I think that is going to be my new average.

On the outgoing mail I keep all addresses in a digital address book ... Mac Address Book ... that syncs to my phone so I have it with me at all time. At the moment my address book has 9,902 contacts. On each contact card I note what stationery I sent, and when I sent it and sometimes why I sent it (thank you for Orphaned Postcard Project participation ... congrats on new job ... etc). Some of my contacts have pages and pages of entries, but most only have one or two entries because I include all my Postcrossing sends in my address book and those are typically, but not always, one time only connections.

Incoming mail is stored in a mail sorter that looks like this one (http://www.amazon.com/SLOT-WOODEN-LETTER-ORGANIZER-DRAWER/dp/B004AKU02Y/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&qid=1364072941&sr=8-37&keywords=mail+sorter), but I am seriously considering buying a surplus USPS mail sorter because it is crazy trying to stuff my mail in those tiny slots, and at the end of the month, I usually have mail from the beginning of the month still unanswered so there is no place to put the new mail.

I have various systems for storing incoming mail, none of them satisfactory, and none of them worth noting. I struggle with that all the time. I really need a storage facility where I can catalog and store everything nice and proper, but that isn't going to happen.

Keeping track of what has been written becomes easier as you get to know someone. I know I repeat myself on occasion, but that's okay. Mostly I try to keep to what is going on right at the moment when I am writing. I used to keep copies of letters, but I know that if I tried that again, it would bog me down. I often write on the go, and I don't want to have to carry around copies of letters because goodness knows I'm already carrying a small person on my back with just the incoming, ALL my pens, extra ink, stationery, postage (I keep about $200 on hand at all times), and the other sundry mail enthusiast accoutrements.

Now that is a lot of mail to manage. I too am keeping track of what paper/ink combo I use for outgoing mail - sometimes triggered by what the incoming letter is written in. Then I can mix it up a bit. I guess that's because I like knowing what ink/paper is in the incoming letters. It's been a whole lot of fun.

cedargirl
March 24th, 2013, 06:13 AM
Thanks Gerald.

Your system seems very easy and uncluttered, but at the same time very useful. I don't know box.com, is it something like dropbox?

cedargirl
March 24th, 2013, 06:16 AM
I just write an incoming and an outgoing list and keep all the letters in a box. Sorting the letters in the box is the biggest concern now that I've rec'd more than one letter from some INCO+ enthusiasts.
I figure I spend too much time being organised at work to do the same at home.

That was my concern - it can get too complicated - finding the balance that works is what I'm after.

I just Wing it!

There's something to be said for 'winging it'.

cedargirl
March 24th, 2013, 06:18 AM
I have a box with all my stationary and letters in and then they go in another box when I have replied. I keep the ones I haven't replied to yet in order of received so I reply to oldest ones first. Managing one letter every other day at the moment!

Another vote for boxes!
Good on you for doing one a day and keeping on top of it. I wish I could say that. I need to catch up this week.

gwgtaylor
March 24th, 2013, 06:20 AM
Thanks Gerald.

Your system seems very easy and uncluttered, but at the same time very useful. I don't know box.com, is it something like dropbox?

Yes exactly. Dropbox will work too. Each PDF is usually under 1mb so it's more than enough space for years of correspondence.

KrazyIvan
March 24th, 2013, 08:11 PM
My man bag has a file folder compartment. I just use two of them for in/out boxes. I should really be using my Evernote more.

chaimann
March 25th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Until InCoWriMo, I wasn't aware that people HAVE systems.

I'm on Team Pile 'Em Up. Incoming mail goes in a pile on the right side of my desk. After I've replied, they go into a bag from my local pen store, pending a more elegant solution.

I did have to make a list so I could keep track of real names versus user names.

Tracy Lee
March 26th, 2013, 05:09 AM

I'm on Team Pile 'Em Up. Incoming mail goes in a pile on the right side of my desk. After I've replied, they go into a bag from my local pen store, pending a more elegant solution.

I did have to make a list so I could keep track of real names versus user names.

I now have a small journal with a decoder list of forum monikers and real names. Now I am keeping g posts more in context of our letters and it has been great. I am also using said small journal to track ink colors I have enjoyed seeing, new paper types I like but haven't used, etc. That way it's all in one place. The pile system works just fine, has for me. When I am done replying they go into a nice wood box that I have. A little bit of chaos is important to my world, and makes the writing much more fulfilling, being surrounded by all my stationery, wax and seals, embosser, pens, ink, and piles of letters. :thumbup:

thagbert
March 26th, 2013, 12:06 PM
The Pile System Of Organizing. Serving the non-OCD since the invention of paper!

caribbean_skye
March 26th, 2013, 02:38 PM
I'm glad you asked as I was wondering about other people's system but I tend to get overzealous when it comes to organising so I figured not asking would mean I wouldn't be quite so anal about it (yeah right).

I keep all of my addresses on 5x7 index cards, that way if/when I move I can just put the index cards in a ziplock bag in my handbag. I used to use those lovely pen/paper address books but when people move every couple of years and all you see are either eraser marks (they never seem to erase fully) or addresses crossed out everywhere. This was fine until I kept running out of space as there were more addresses crossed out than current addresses.

The 5 x 7 card has name (surname first), address, email address and phone number on the front along with the year (the last time I sent you mail that way I know if the address is current or not). For penpals I also note in parenthesis next to your name any screen names. On the reverse side of the card are any notes such as birthdays, anniversaries, kids/spouses/pet names, notable pens in your collection (that you've mentioned). If someone moves I just pull their card out, put it at the back and start a new card for them.

Correspondence journal: I have a spiral bound FP friendly notebook where I write details of the letters. Incoming letters are always written in black in as I'm less likely to write in black ink as far as letters go. My entries usually look like this:

Received <current date>, mailed <from stamp cancellation if there is one>
<indented> Writer's name and location (state if they're in the US, and country if they're not in the US)
<indented> if they write with interesting combination of ink/pen (mainly for me to find them if I want to check out what a colour ink looks like later on)
<indented> Any inserts they've included in the letters.

Outgoing letters are notated similarly but with ink colours used and looks as such:

Written <date>, mailed <which mail date the postman will pick it up on>
<indented>Recipients name and location
<indented> Paper used
<indented> Pen and Ink
<indented> Pen and Ink
<indented> Pen and Ink
<indented> Any inserts I've sent along

I don't notate what I've written about, I figure that it will come back to me if the person references it in an subsequent letter.

All of my letters are read when they arrive and are placed at the bottom of the stack of letters to reply to and are left on the desk. When a letter is replied to it goes from the stack on the desk onto another stack. When enough letters are received from any one person they are all rubber banded together with the most recent letter on top so all of their letters are kept together.

NOTE: I like the idea of E-Z Contact Book however I'm on a mac (sans Parallel) and it doesn't look as though it's on a platform other than Windows. In the past I've lost countless information by keeping it on the HD (haven't lost paper yet amazingly) but that would be awesome just to keep even more details.

Nope, that's ideal however I am still behind since February when I delayed responding until I could get all of the letters I wanted out in the mail. At one point I was able to keep up but when I received 5 letter in at a time that kind of throw that read/reply within a day out the window. Plus the majority of my letters seem to be 2 sheets or so, which means it takes me a bit of time to write each letter.

-gerald

When I finally get all of my stuff (and more money) I may implement something similar to this.

everybodylovesbacon
March 26th, 2013, 06:27 PM
carribean_skye... you are impressive and inspirational.

I'm so glad this thread was started. I'm still struggling with my "system." I would LOVE to have something going like carribean skye, but there's no way that's happening right now for me. But now I can set goals. :)

Thank you all for sharing your ideas!

caribbean_skye
March 26th, 2013, 06:53 PM
carribean_skye... you are impressive and inspirational.

I'm so glad this thread was started. I'm still struggling with my "system." I would LOVE to have something going like carribean skye, but there's no way that's happening right now for me. But now I can set goals. :)

Thank you all for sharing your ideas!

Uh, thanks. All I can say is to take it one step at a time and go from there.

cedargirl
March 26th, 2013, 10:38 PM
I'm glad you asked as I was wondering about other people's system but I tend to get overzealous when it comes to organising so I figured not asking would mean I wouldn't be quite so anal about it (yeah right).

At one point I was able to keep up but when I received 5 letter in at a time that kind of throw that read/reply within a day out the window. Plus the majority of my letters seem to be 2 sheets or so, which means it takes me a bit of time to write each letter.

Well, Carribean_skye, I knew there would be lots of systems out there, but yours seems to be one of the most comprehensive. But I know what you mean, when you get overloaded systems can fall behind.

I'm so glad this thread was started.

You're welcome. I knew it would be interesting too. Good luck with whatever system you settle on.

Pile 'Em Up is a system! And to be honest, that's what I did for a while. But as the letters come in and I started thinking about life with a constant stream of in and out mail, I just knew I'd have to be a bit more organised. If nothing else, every now and then my cat decides to launch herself at full flight across my desk. There's nothing like sliding cat feet to throw papers off the desk and onto the floor in random order .:laser: No I wouldn't do that to her!

Claire

woosang
March 26th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Hey Bogon07 your signature cow and penguin has started a fan club on Instagram

Bogon07
March 27th, 2013, 03:01 AM
Hey Bogon07 your signature cow and penguin has started a fan club on Instagram
oh damn fan dangled Internet !

Barbara
March 27th, 2013, 03:40 PM

I wasn't aware of different systems either. :)

Barbara
March 27th, 2013, 03:48 PM
I don't really have a system. But then I don't receive mountains of mail. One thing I always do is record the date of my reply on the back of the envelope of received mail. "Replied on ----"
Works for me.

Barbara
March 27th, 2013, 03:49 PM
BTW, great topic!

cedargirl
March 27th, 2013, 04:22 PM
BTW, great topic!

It is interesting isn't it. I've got quite a few ideas from this.

jfsisler
March 29th, 2013, 04:25 AM
I dont' really have a system - incoming mail goes into one pile to be answered and into another when it's been answered. Eventually all my lovely letters end up in a three ring binder tucked safely away in a plastic sheet.

skyppere
March 31st, 2013, 10:57 AM
Hi,
I average about a letter a day outgoing and my 'system' has, shall we say devolved. Initially I kept all my letters. After a while it became just too voluminous. Now I have a "pen scrapbook," in which I keep things like illuminated letters, home made envelopes, people who's handrwiting takes my breath away, interesting stamps from lands far away, wax seals.... whatever I feel like goes in there. It's a black 'n red spiral notebook.
So I don't save all the letters now. I made my own cards, very simple cards with a photo on each one... usually of something like a flower or a sunset or my cat (she signed a permission slip) or something pretty that I saw on vacation. I used to get stressed about what if I send the same picture to someone again? So I kept a log of each person and what I'd sent to them. Now if a person gets the same picture twice, well I guess they'll just have to live with it.

FINALLY, very early on I decided not to make a record or notes of what I'd said in a letter. I look on these letters as chit chat with an old friend sitting around the kitchen table or over the back fence. If you and a friend are sitting around, sometimes it just happens that you tell the same story again. That's the way we are. If I get a letter from a friend and he tells me the same story he told me last year, does it upset me? Not a bit. So if I repeat myself, very well, I repeat myself.

PLUS, for example, I went to the LA pen show last month and of course told people all about it in my snails. Now I wouldn't like to repeat that whole story in the very next letter but almost always when I get a reply the correspondent will say "Sounds like you had a great time in LA!" and that lets me know that I already told them about that. sooo somehow things sort themselves out.

Finally (applause), I KNOW I'm a lazy man and the more prep work I have to do prior to sending a letter, the less likely I'll want to do it. So I just sit down, open the letter from a friend, strike while the irons hot, pull out a card and let the words flow... whatever's happening in my life, whatever caught my attention in the news, movies I've seen, tv, books, meals, gardening, pens, inks, paper.... I'm reminded of John Denver's song with the words "there's all the things to tell him, how ya spend your time... and what the neighbor's say..."
cheers
skyppere

caribbean_skye
April 2nd, 2013, 05:06 PM
Hi,
<snip> Now I have a "pen scrapbook," in which I keep things like illuminated letters, home made envelopes, people who's handrwiting takes my breath away, interesting stamps from lands far away, wax seals.... whatever I feel like goes in there. It's a black 'n red spiral notebook.
<snip>
I made my own cards, very simple cards with a photo on each one... usually of something like a flower or a sunset or my cat (she signed a permission slip) or something pretty that I saw on vacation. I used to get stressed about what if I send the same picture to someone again? So I kept a log of each person and what I'd sent to them. Now if a person gets the same picture twice, well I guess they'll just have to live with it.

<snip>

I love your idea of a pen scrapbook, since you make cards have you considered acid-free/lignin-free paper so they don't discolour/fade/etc over time? Putting it a more traditional scrapbook would be awesome too. I like that idea. I may have to borrow it.

If I send someone the same thing twice, i just think of it as they now have an extra to share with someone else. :)

And I'm with you re: prep work and treat it like a conversation with an old friend.

woosang
April 5th, 2013, 09:36 PM
I'm with you, I stick to spontanious responces even if it means the occasional rambling essay..

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Tracy Lee
April 6th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Three letters have arrived while I am away. Hubs scanned and emailed so I could at least enjoy from here (part of managing my correspondence). His email says "Wait till you feel the paper that I. Romero used. It feels wet!!! Wierdest thing I've ever felt." I have heard of the stone paper but have never experienced it so looking forward to it! :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

woosang
April 7th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Stone paper is amazing but horrible for fountain pen inks. Bleeds like crazy but doesn't show through. I have my notebook away.. It feels almost sensual though..

KrazyIvan
April 7th, 2013, 06:17 PM
I have been fortunate that the Oxford stone paper does not feather or bleed. It is the weirdest stuff I have ever used. As Eric calls it, very Teflon tape like.

woosang
April 7th, 2013, 07:26 PM
I'll do my best to source it

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Bogon07
April 12th, 2013, 04:03 AM
Bog :tsk::tsk: I think I've busted my simple box system by filing things three different ways.

cedargirl
April 12th, 2013, 05:55 AM
Can't be all bad - it might just mean you end up writing three times as many letters. :clap2:

Bogon07
April 12th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Can't be all bad - it might just mean you end up writing three times as many letters. :clap2:
It is freaking out my neatness side and making the penguins (or even worse the Penquin) grumpy.

Barbara
April 13th, 2013, 04:47 PM
It is freaking out my neatness side and making the penguins (or even worse the Penquin) grumpy.

Love the Dickens quote. :)

cedargirl
April 13th, 2013, 08:40 PM

As long as Inkyrimoo is still mooing, all is good.

Bogon07
April 13th, 2013, 09:47 PM
As long as Inkyrimoo is still mooing, all is good.
The Inkyrimoo is still mooing with glasses and headphones these days and adding to the carbon quota.

Tracy Lee
April 13th, 2013, 11:15 PM
A letter is on the way, Bogon, with compliments on your art and related stories. :-)

Bogon07
April 14th, 2013, 06:48 PM
A letter is on the way, Bogon, with compliments on your art and related stories. :-)
Why thank you, Tracy Lee. Imagine I said that with an Australianised southern accent .... we've been watching too much The Closer and Justified.

woosang
April 16th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Love the Moo

Bogon07
April 17th, 2013, 01:49 AM
Love the Moo
Moo who ?!

KrazyIvan
April 17th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Moo you?

jfsisler
April 21st, 2013, 07:36 PM
Imagine I said that with an Australianised southern accent .... .

My ears are trying to wrap themselves around an Australian/southern American combination...I can sort of hear it....I always thought of an Australian accent as similar to a southern drawl anyway. I'm proud of the fact I've lived in MA for 13 years and never lost my southern accent (although it still freaks out the locals when I say y'all). Don't want to think of grumpy penguins, they're too cute to be grumpy:)

jor412
April 23rd, 2013, 01:46 AM
Managing postal fees: After writing my first 10 letters on 90 gsm laid paper, and buying my stamps, I dropped by the office supply store and bought a pack of generic onion skin. :P

cedargirl
April 23rd, 2013, 06:45 AM
Managing postal fees: After writing my first 10 letters on 90 gsm laid paper, and buying my stamps, I dropped by the office supply store and bought a pack of generic onion skin. :P

It can be expensive, can't it. I'm trying some Tomoe River which is 52gsm or thereabouts - not as light as onion skin paper, though.
It does depend how the postal services charge, though. Here in Australia, most letters come in under the max weight for a normal international letter stamp - but they have just gone up from $2.35 to $2.60. I notice the UK price is a lot lower. What is it in the Philippines?

jor412
April 23rd, 2013, 10:21 AM
Actually, it's not terrible if I compare it to international rates. I paid $1-$2.50 per letter. Sounds cheap right? But factor in cost of living and salaries, it's expensive. Cost is relative. I thought when I paid for it -- hmm, I could've eaten at my favorite Spanish restaurant here and brought home a doggie bag. :p It's all right. It's still doable. I'm just looking at ways to not make 20 letters cost me a $40-50 pen :)

caribbean_skye
April 23rd, 2013, 01:22 PM
Actually, it's not terrible if I compare it to international rates. I paid $1-$2.50 per letter. Sounds cheap right? But factor in cost of living and salaries, it's expensive. Cost is relative. I thought when I paid for it -- hmm, I could've eaten at my favorite Spanish restaurant here and brought home a doggie bag. :p It's all right. It's still doable. I'm just looking at ways to not make 20 letters cost me a $40-50 pen :)

I know how you feel. Do they offer anything like aerogrammes? Although with saying that, I'm not sure whether they're fp friendly. Onionskin is certainly a good start, I hope you find a solution that works for you.

jor412
April 23rd, 2013, 05:34 PM
I was looking for something like aerogrammes but couldn't find any at the store I went to. The onion skin was a bust. All my F nibs were writing like B nibs. Will have to try another brand.

wayne.robinson
April 23rd, 2013, 06:12 PM
Most of the rest of the world probably doesn't believe Australia has regionalised accents.

cedargirl
April 23rd, 2013, 06:16 PM

No - I think it is quite expensive when you add up how many we send each month. It's a significant impact on the pen/ink buying budget. It's good if you can reduce it to the lower end of the range by using lighter paper. We don't appear to be able to do that here. Our normal international letter rate easily covers the weight of thicker paper and there is no discount for lighter letters. Postcard are almost half price, though. Silly thing is, many of my letters are lighter than a postcard. Go figure that!

woosang
April 23rd, 2013, 07:48 PM
As we have a flat rate for letters under a certain thickness I just use my heaviest paper and sometimes add little items. It costs $2.60 whether I have one feather in the envelope or 3 pages and a nib. May as well get value for my cash. Post cards went up too in think but were $1.35

caribbean_skye
April 24th, 2013, 03:14 PM
I was looking for something like aerogrammes but couldn't find any at the store I went to. The onion skin was a bust. All my F nibs were writing like B nibs. Will have to try another brand.

In the past aerogrammes were purchased from the post office.

jor412
April 24th, 2013, 04:33 PM
In the past aerogrammes were purchased from the post office.

Our post office no longer has them. It seems the majority of people don't use the postal service for writing letters anymore.

cedargirl
April 25th, 2013, 12:44 AM
I haven't seen aerogrammes here for decades.

caribbean_skye
April 25th, 2013, 11:09 AM
The last time I bought an aerogramme was probably 12 years ago shortly after I moved to the US. However the price of the aerogramme cost the same as a regular letter so I never bothered with them again.

ndw76
April 27th, 2013, 08:55 PM
I used to keep a spread sheet noting the name and address of the person and the date the letter was sent and the date received. But I stopped doing this when my wife started complaining about how many letters I was writing. Now I just keep the unreplied letters in my computer bag, the replied letters in my office, and the letters to be posted in my computer bag.

cedargirl
April 27th, 2013, 11:33 PM
I used to keep a spread sheet noting the name and address of the person and the date the letter was sent and the date received. But I stopped doing this when my wife started complaining about how many letters I was writing. Now I just keep the unreplied letters in my computer bag, the replied letters in my office, and the letters to be posted in my computer bag.

Hi Nathan - welcome to FPGeeks.

Are you an InCoWri Pen Pal or have you been writing letters for a long time?

Physical separation o letters seems to be the favourite technique here. Your method sounds pretty foolproof.

I used to put all new letters in the front of a plastic sleeve folder and then once I'd replied I put the letters into a sleeve. But even with this simple method, I managed to muddle them up somehow. The replied and unreplied needed further distance to separate them. So I bought one of those old fashioned letter racks that sits on my desk. All unanswered letters go in there and they get transferred into the plastic sleeves in the folder once I've replied.

But I do a bit of both. I also like to keep a small contacts database. It makes addressing the letters easier and I keep a record of which inks and papers I use for each letter (I like to mix it up a bit). I also record which inks and papers people use in letters to me. That way if I want to see an ink in person, I can find it quickly.

ndw76
April 28th, 2013, 02:52 AM

Hi Nathan - welcome to FPGeeks.

Are you an InCoWri Pen Pal or have you been writing letters for a long time?

Physical separation o letters seems to be the favourite technique here. Your method sounds pretty foolproof.

I used to put all new letters in the front of a plastic sleeve folder and then once I'd replied I put the letters into a sleeve. But even with this simple method, I managed to muddle them up somehow. The replied and unreplied needed further distance to separate them. So I bought one of those old fashioned letter racks that sits on my desk. All unanswered letters go in there and they get transferred into the plastic sleeves in the folder once I've replied.

But I do a bit of both. I also like to keep a small contacts database. It makes addressing the letters easier and I keep a record of which inks and papers I use for each letter (I like to mix it up a bit). I also record which inks and papers people use in letters to me. That way if I want to see an ink in person, I can find it quickly.

Hi Cedargirl,

I wasn't a InCoWri pen pal, but I have been a snail mail enthusiast since about November last year. I started writing to one friend from another forum and then I found FPN and found many other pen pals. Then I found Swap-bot and found even more pen pals. So far I have corresponded with about seventy people, but still I only seem to get mail about once a week.

cedargirl
April 28th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Hi Cedargirl,

I wasn't a InCoWri pen pal, but I have been a snail mail enthusiast since about November last year. I started writing to one friend from another forum and then I found FPN and found many other pen pals. Then I found Swap-bot and found even more pen pals. So far I have corresponded with about seventy people, but still I only seem to get mail about once a week.

Swap-bot is new to me. That's a serious place! Lots of very creative and very diligent people.

Bogon07
June 30th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Three out today still more to do. My mail management system is only barely coping now.

fncll
September 15th, 2013, 11:08 AM

When I see this I have to note: vintage onionskin is a whole different thing than modern. If you can find some relatively cheaply, that might work. Otherwise Tomoe River is quite light!

cedargirl
September 17th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Three out today still more to do. My mail management system is only barely coping now.

Hi Bogon
Are you going to keep going with it, or is it time for a change??

When I see this I have to note: vintage onionskin is a whole different thing than modern. If you can find some relatively cheaply, that might work. Otherwise Tomoe River is quite light!

I love Tomoe River! Just not the delivery price which, for me, costs more than the paper.

Bogon07
September 17th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Hi Bogon
Are you going to keep going with it, or is it time for a change??

I have to keep going but need to be much more diligent in filing letters correctly.
The US letters are lying sorted on the floor next to be cardboard box in front of the lounge.

Mainly I need to generate the momentum to write and send a bunch of letters. :lazy2:

cedargirl
September 17th, 2013, 09:15 PM
I have the same problem. The letter writing - not the papers on the floor - that would be far too inviting for the Cat Who Must Be Obeyed.
I am woefully behind with my letters. I took on some extra work over winter and have only this week surfaced from it all.

Onward and upward ...

caribbean_skye
September 18th, 2013, 01:23 PM
I think there are several of us in the same boat when it comes to replying. I was hoping to have caught up but unfortunately that's not the case. Won't be able to write this weekend as I'll be at the Dallas show and won't be taking any writing supplies with me.

fncll
September 18th, 2013, 01:34 PM
I'm sure you'll make up for that by sharing all kinds of cool stuff from the Dallas show, right? :)

caribbean_skye
September 18th, 2013, 01:44 PM
But of course.

Bogon07
November 13th, 2013, 09:14 PM
Just finished re-typing and printing my InCoPenPals list in a slightly neater and more ordered format. Now I can see I need to send a more few very overdue replies out.

Well that lasted all of 10 minutes before another adjustment now all the US ICPP are sort of clumped by state.

cedargirl
November 14th, 2013, 12:15 AM
Needed to move them off the floor, hey, Bogon??

I find my little database quite useful (it can sort by replied/not replied). As I receive or send a letter I just flag it as received or sent.
And I also keep the "unreplied" letters in one of those old fashioned letter racks on my desk. When it starts to fill up, I know it's time to get some letters out!
Oh! It's full!!

Bohemond76
November 14th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Hey Bogon am I in your TO REPLY list ? :)

Bogon07
November 14th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Hey Bogon am I in your TO REPLY list ? :)
Yes indeed - one went off 10November.........sorry about the five month delay
:redface::redface::redface::redface::redface:

cwent2
November 14th, 2013, 08:13 PM
I manage quite nicely - one arrives about once every two weeks :lazy2: - and I write a reply. Maybe someday I will get more mail. :cry:

Bogon07
November 14th, 2013, 11:33 PM
Cedargirl - They have now all moved from the floor into a bigger box.

I manage quite nicely - one arrives about once every two weeks :lazy2: - and I write a reply. Maybe someday I will get more mail. :cry:
Don't worry soon you will have so many replies to do you will apologising for delays.

caribbean_skye
November 19th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Just finished re-typing and printing my InCoPenPals list in a slightly neater and more ordered format. Now I can see I need to send a more few very overdue replies out.

Hmm curious about that list, here I was just thinking name and address, but I gather it is more comprehensive than that.

cedargirl - hehe. I just keep a stack of letters, usually FIFO. Flagging letters eh? That sounds interesting.

Bogon07
November 19th, 2013, 02:57 PM

Hmm curious about that list, here I was just thinking name and address, but I gather it is more comprehensive than that.

cedargirl - hehe. I just keep a stack of letters, usually FIFO. Flagging letters eh? That sounds interesting.

It is just a word document of name and address with a two row table (some now four) for outgoing and incoming dates.
Using random example. :)
And also upgraded to a bigger cardboard box for the letters.

XXXXXX XXXXXXX – Caribbean_Skye
**** XXXX XXX XXXX
XXXXXXXXX, TX *****

Out

20/02

29/03

05/05

14/07

07/11

In

05/03

18/03

14-29/04

06/06

21/10

caribbean_skye
November 19th, 2013, 07:00 PM
Bogon07 - That's pretty cool, thanks for sharing. I keep a back-up in an excel spreadsheet but it doesn't have addresses on it. Are you going to start from scratch for 2014 or just continue on with that one?

Bogon07
November 19th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Bogon07 - That's pretty cool, thanks for sharing. I keep a back-up in an excel spreadsheet but it doesn't have addresses on it. Are you going to start from scratch for 2014 or just continue on with that one?

A spreadsheet should work just as well.

After all the typing I'm inclined to keep going with it. Probably after greying the 2013 in/out dates.

caribbean_skye
November 21st, 2013, 09:54 AM
The spreadsheet look I've done is quite cumbersome, may have to tweak it. Originally wanted to do a database but that will have to wait for a while. The spreadsheet looks exactly like my paper notation I've mentioned previously.

As for greying it out, that's a great idea. Due to it being in word, you can even assign different colours for different years. Thanks for sharing!

VertOlive
January 1st, 2014, 08:31 PM
Hmmmm. Food for thought. Right now I have few enough exchanges that I can keep track well enough, and have kept everything so I just look at the envelope for the address I need. When I get them I like to incubate my reply for a few days, and then I have to look for time in which to reply. Right now, I'm totally caught up and hope my new envelopes come before the next letter!

magnesium68
January 2nd, 2014, 10:00 AM
Me all the letters are in a shoe box , multiple replies are tight up with an elastic band and the most productive penpal is on top of the mountain.

Morgaine
January 28th, 2014, 10:08 AM
I keep a page-a-day diary for noting correspondence - sent / received. I take part in various postal activities so these get listed when sent / received. I used to have a spreadsheet for keeping track of correspondence but it became a bit cumbersome and sometimes I just didn't feel like turning on the computer to do it (sometimes I forget to write in my diary too). [paused to fill diary in]

Letters are stored in press/seal food bags (used to have zip wallets, but the hard plastic sometimes broke and the bundle quite large) per correspondent and sometimes tied with ribbon. Before I bought my writer's bureau, these were then stored in shoe boxes. Now I use the cupboard in my bureau for current penpals (and those failed correspondences stay in a shoe box).

I have a small whiteboard listing correspondents to reply to with date of receipt, and then a column for sent (plus date)

Addresses are kept in a nice address book, although I will need to write in more addresses. Some addressbooks don't have enough space for all the address (a friend's address in full could take 7 lines).

cedargirl
January 29th, 2014, 05:40 PM
It's amazing how many systems people use. My fail-safe is that all incoming letters go into a letter rack on my desk and only get removed and filed once they are replied to. That way I have a constant reminder of any letters needing a reply (there are a few there now!!)

SnailorBee
January 30th, 2014, 03:55 PM
I just leave the mail I haven't replied to on my desk. Everything else goes into a little vintage sewing box that I've bought. And once someone replies a lot I take all of their letters and rubber band them together so they won't get mixed up. But the box has little levels so this doesn't usually happen.
As for what I've said, I generally read a letter once, then as I'm writing a reply I reread it once or twice to see if I can remember what I wrote about. But usually I don't worry about remembering what I have or haven't said. Usually I write about whatever comes to mind and besides asking questions they didn't answer the first time around I don't think I repeat myself too often.

Bogon07
March 29th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Now reaching critical mass where the US letters are going into a separate box.

caribbean_skye
March 29th, 2014, 08:16 PM
Now reaching critical mass where the US letters are going into a separate box.

Just now? I've gone from one shoebox to three. May have to look into wine crates coon.

cedargirl
March 30th, 2014, 06:13 PM
I'm looking for a box with some very special qualities - a tardis box, of sorts. Anyone have one?

VertOlive
April 3rd, 2014, 07:16 PM
Now, post-InCo, I see what you've all been dealing with.

Time to rent that Hi-Lo and get these bales organized!

Thinking of keeping a notebook of what pen/ink/paper combination I used in each letter I sent. I don't want to bore people with the same old nib every time...

tiffanyhenschel
April 3rd, 2014, 07:59 PM
I tracked my incoming and outgoing in a pocket sized notebook for a year. Incoming were listed in black with the name, location, and date received. Outgoing were listed with the name, destination, and date sent written with the pen and ink used for the letter. It was fun for a while but became cumbersome. I realized I was avoiding the mail pile because it hadn't been logged yet, so I quit. Now I just keep unanswered letters in a zippered bank bag that I carry in my school bag.

caribbean_skye
April 3rd, 2014, 09:40 PM
Awww Tiffany, I borrowed your idea with the ink colours and I still do it. Only time I cant is if the pen has run out of ink (notate after the letter is written) in that case i notate pen/nib +ink combo using one of the other pens I wrote with. I like looking at the colourful pages and sometimes when someone asks what purple ink i used i can just quickly look for the purple ink. :)

Due to this journal/log i know that my mailbox has seen 602 pieces of mail (incoming and outgoing) between beginning of february 2013 and end of march 2014 of which 530 was from start of incowrimo last year to end of incowrimo this year.

writingrav
April 4th, 2014, 04:26 AM
Every letter received is marked with the pen used for the reply with the date of the reply and put in a hanging file folder. If I receive three letters from one individual he or she receives an individual file folder for their correspondence.

tiffanyhenschel
April 4th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Every letter received is marked with the pen used for the reply with the date of the reply and put in a hanging file folder. If I receive three letters from one individual he or she receives an individual file folder for their correspondence.

This seems like an easy way to keep track of the pen and ink used.

cedargirl
April 4th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Thinking of keeping a notebook of what pen/ink/paper combination I used in each letter I sent. I don't want to bore people with the same old nib every time...

Yes, I do this too - ensures a bit of variety. Only I track it in on my computer using the little contacts organiser I mentioned at the start.

Tuppergal.Victoria
April 4th, 2014, 06:16 PM
Thanks everyone for these great ideas. I was wondering what others were doing. I was making notes of what I wrote and the date mailed on the back of the envelope.

ypsilanti
April 5th, 2014, 02:26 PM
Letters I've received that are awaiting replies.
New letters go in the front; I start replying from the back.
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10718&stc=1

Letters I've answered.
Made tabs with the names of regular correspondents.
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10717&stc=1

My address book is digital. I've started noting the date of my last letter sent to each person, so I can have some idea of what's transpired since I last wrote. I don't note the ink or pen used or what I blathered on about.

kataish
April 26th, 2014, 12:55 PM
I WING IT! Okay not really. I do have a mini personal sized filofax that I use as an address book so I keep addresses in there, along with a list of stuff about each penpal - not that I forget, but I mean username, where we started corresponding (mostly Instagram), birthday, etc. I have a pretty good memory for details ABOUT each person. I don't keep track of inks used or papers (since its mostly Tomoe River these days). BUT... in each letter with fountain-pen-loving penpals, I will write the pen AND ink used in each, and that usually sparks a long conversation in each letter about pens. And I respond using inks that either I like at the time, or that I think THEY will like to see.

I have been considering starting a mail log in a Field Notes book... just that keeps track of the date I got a letter, and when I responded... but to be honest? I'm kind of too lazy for that. When I'm not caught up I keep my correspondence on a stack on my desk and respond to them as needed, and then once a letter is responded to, I move it to where all of my other mail is kept. I've been "penpalling" since I was about 10 (so 22 years), and have kept the correspondence Ive had for AT LEAST the last 10 years.... I have tupperware boxes of letters, and a booksheld that is half filled currently. The husband asks me why I keep it. Why not? Its special. Someone took the time out of their day to sit down and write ME a letter - to share a bit of their life with ME. That, to me, is special and amazing, and I someday want to be able to go back and read them. I have some organized by who sent what... but someday I will keep separate bags for each person and put them in order of date. Neat!

caribbean_skye
April 26th, 2014, 03:16 PM
ypsilanti - digging that box and tabs. That looks so much nicer than my 3 shoeboxes.

ypsilanti
April 26th, 2014, 04:40 PM
ypsilanti - digging that box and tabs. That looks so much nicer than my 3 shoeboxes.

Thanks! I need to find a bigger box. And make more tabs.

And find a shoe box to archive. Deciding how long I want to keep letters from conversations where only a few letters were exchanged.

When you have two letters from someone that you haven't heard from in a year, how long do you keep them?

caribbean_skye
April 26th, 2014, 05:13 PM
People get their own "stack" when 4 or more letters have been received otherwise they get filed in a general area. I havent discarded any that I have received regardless of how many letters i have received or length of time since I have heard from them. However mother nature has a way of taking care of that for me *wry grin*

caribbean_skye
January 4th, 2015, 09:45 AM
As 2014 was coming to a close I discovered that I was nearing the end of my correspondence journal and felt that the new year would be a good time to implement any new updates or changes. After several weeks of thinking about it, the only change I have implemented has been to include an index at the front. The idea for the index was taken from the bullet journal system. Each correspondent will start off with their own line and the number will correspond to the page of their entry. The entries in black will indicate incoming letters and the other colours will indicate outgoing.

It will look something similar to:
A - 1,1,2,4
B - 1,2,3
C - 1,2,3
D - 2,3
E - 3,4

So for person A their letter came in and details can be found on page 1, also on page 1 is the entry for their response. Also on page 1 are entries for incoming letters for B and C. Page 2 shows the next incoming letter from person A along with an incoming letter from person D plus outgoing letters to B and C.

I thought I would offer this up for anyone looking to start or update theirs for this year. Happy writing and tracking.

VertOlive
January 4th, 2015, 10:05 PM
At the moment, all of the new letters are filed upright in a lovely hand blown antique aquarium. Newest to oldest, front to back, and I pull from the oldest for replies (give or take a cherry pick or two).

I reply to everyone, so I know each outgoing implies a letter received--that's how I count total in.

I've a tiny journal to track the outgoing. Person, date, any special tuck-in, etc.

Lady Onogaro
January 4th, 2015, 10:08 PM
I file the ones I receive in an accordion file as I reply to them. Until then, I keep them in a snapware Rubbermaid container with my writing stuff (stickers, paper, envelopes I have made, etc.)

Bogon07
January 5th, 2015, 03:55 PM
My boxes of InCoWriMo 2013 & 2014 have devolved in to stacks of random chaos and even at this early stage 2015 is compounding the problem.

Cob
January 5th, 2015, 04:41 PM
I get rather little sadly, and what there is, is in a sort of random "horizontal filing un-system."

Given the fact that half the time I am covered in ink, I do well to answer any letters I receive very promptly.

Cob

Chrissy
January 6th, 2015, 04:45 AM
I'm currently in almost random chaos. I know who has written to me, and when, and I also know who I have to send replies to.

I have an Excel spreadsheet that my OH did for me. It includes names, addresses, and ID names, and I always mark that up with dates in and dates out. For postcards, I also include which postcard I sent. I keep all received postcards to refer to when I'm sending other postcards.

However, although I keep letters from my correspondents, so I can go back and see what was written to me, my main problem is remembering what I have said to whom in my past letters.

Does anyone have some system where they store notes of what they wrote about and when?

Cob
January 6th, 2015, 06:35 AM
I'm currently in almost random chaos. I know who has written to me, and when, and I also know who I have to send replies to.

I have an Excel spreadsheet that my OH did for me. It includes names, addresses, and ID names, and I always mark that up with dates in and dates out. For postcards, I also include which postcard I sent. I keep all received postcards to refer to when I'm sending other postcards.

However, although I keep letters from my correspondents, so I can go back and see what was written to me, my main problem is remembering what I have said to whom in my past letters.

Does anyone have some system where they store notes of what they wrote about and when?

I read that someone simply scans the letters! Doh! Why hadn't I thought of that?

Cob

sgtstretch
January 6th, 2015, 08:46 AM

I read that someone simply scans the letters! Doh! Why hadn't I thought of that?

Cob

I scan my outgoing letters, that way if needed I can look back on what I wrote, so I'm not telling the same story over and over. Comes in useful if I tell one person something, and then can't remember who that was and am about to write it out again.

Toffer
January 6th, 2015, 09:43 AM
Happy new year everyone, I have just finished my first letter of 2015! My organisation is I have a stack of incoming, new at back oldest at front then when replied to they go in another pile with a post it note on the front. This has their first name and a list of when I have replied to them. When I have received more than one letter from said person the letters get an elastic band to hold them together. I don't write down what I have said in previous letters I struggle enough to pull my finger out and write the letter! If you are due a letter from me, I'm sorry it will arrive at some point!

ypsilanti
January 6th, 2015, 05:04 PM

I don't worry about repeating myself. Happens in person, so why not on paper too. I figure if it gets too obnoxious, friends will organize an intervention.

caribbean_skye
January 6th, 2015, 07:20 PM

I don't worry about repeating myself. Happens in person, so why not on paper too. I figure if it gets too obnoxious, friends will organize an intervention.

aye ypsi. i am right there with you. i have started scanning them but sometimes i do not remember until after the letter is already sealed in the envelope. the way i figure it, if you repeat yourself then it either must be something you had to tell me or it resonated with you.

Willieboy
January 10th, 2015, 02:38 PM
I just keep separate journals for my writing. I have four journals going currently. As far as correspondence goes, I really don't have anyone to whom to write. I send out Christmas cards to my clients each year, but that's about the extent of my writing. Not a whole lot to manage really.

Silverbreeze
January 10th, 2015, 08:54 PM
Write to us. We write back :-)

chojo
January 11th, 2015, 05:04 AM

aye ypsi. i am right there with you. i have started scanning them but sometimes i do not remember until after the letter is already sealed in the envelope. the way i figure it, if you repeat yourself then it either must be something you had to tell me or it resonated with you.

I had what I thought was a great idea of photographing my replies with my iPhone which then shares them with my iPad and iMac (yes I'm an Apple freak) so even if I was writing away from home I could always refer back if I needed to, However as Caribbean Skye said I always remember to photograph them just after I've sealed the envelope!

Silverbreeze
January 11th, 2015, 05:17 AM

I had what I thought was a great idea of photographing my replies with my iPhone which then shares them with my iPad and iMac (yes I'm an Apple freak) so even if I was writing away from home I could always refer back if I needed to, However as Caribbean Skye said I always remember to photograph them just after I've sealed the envelope!

I tried that idea, even have a Evernote Notebook for it. Kept forgetting so went back to drafting in a journal :crazy:

Holsworth
January 13th, 2015, 03:54 AM
I imagine I repeat myself a lot! I don't make any notes about what I've sent in previous letters. As for filing, each person had a pile tied up with string, most recent on top. All the piles go in a box. Those waiting or a reply float around the house until I find them!

chojo
January 13th, 2015, 12:41 PM
I was given a rather nice file box to keep my letters in but I've a feeling with incowrimo 2015 approaching it's not going to be big enough.

cwent2
January 13th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Manage?

Is that not like Try
as in Yoda
There is no Try - Do or do not

Manage there is no manage - Mail or Mail not

at least it works for me....

It's the possibility that someone will try to fill that huge mail box I have in front of the Wood shed that worries me.

Holsworth
January 13th, 2015, 11:59 PM
This was the pile as of a couple of months ago, which began in around May last year - so probably 6 months worth of letters.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8563/16089553608_b8b1389dc9_o.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/holly_jane/16089553608/)

Mags
January 19th, 2015, 03:10 AM
This was the pile as of a couple of months ago, which began in around May last year - so probably 6 months worth of letters.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8563/16089553608_b8b1389dc9_o.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/holly_jane/16089553608/)

Kata makes those stamps and sells them on Estie if anyone wants to add farkles to the envelopes. I have one and I like it.

VertOlive
January 19th, 2015, 05:25 PM
Farkles?!

Mags
January 19th, 2015, 08:03 PM
Sorry whenever folks who ride motorcycles add aftermarket items for comfort, protection, safety or styling they say its a farkle like a stamp to add style or beauty. It is a good thing. ;)

Bogon07
January 19th, 2015, 08:16 PM
Sorry whenever folks who ride motorcycles add aftermarket items for comfort, protection, safety or styling they say its a farkle like a stamp to add style or beauty. It is a good thing. ;)

Thanks Rob you really brightened up my day. :)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=farkle

An enthusiast may be in the process of "farkling". The completed motorcycle would be all "farkled up". Radar detectors, Global Positioning System receivers, heated grips, and satellite radios are some of those farkles. Other accessories could be aftermarket seats, side and/or top cases or bar risers, which make the motorcycle more suitable for long miles.

F.A.R.K.L.E. -- Fancy Accessory Really Kool Likely Expensive

Makes me think of Nakaya pens too.

Mags
January 20th, 2015, 04:09 AM
I did not know the Urban Dictionary description and just learned something myself. Thanks Bogon07.

Potter
January 20th, 2015, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the translation Ken, I was wondering where my education had let me down, now I know it's a lack of Urban street chatter, does a pen case or a fancy TWSBI inkwell count as a Farkle? If so I must be a FARKLER...

Tracy Lee
January 20th, 2015, 11:57 AM
Never thought my motorcycle was all Farkled up, but yea, With that definition it is. But "likely" should be "literally". Trust me. Farckling is fracking spendy!

cwent2
January 20th, 2015, 12:27 PM
Never thought my motorcycle was all Farkled up, but yea, With that definition it is. But "likely" should be "literally". Trust me. Farckling is fracking spendy!

And thank you very much, course it would be better (note to self) never take a swig of coffee when reading Tracy Lee's posts!

anyway thanks for the Laugh

Cw

:jester:

Mags
January 21st, 2015, 05:56 AM
Pen cases are farkles along with ink wells, and overlays too ;)