PDA

View Full Version : Dip pen inks

Searcher1970
January 30th, 2017, 06:27 PM
Can anybody recommend any good dip pen inks? All I'm doing is writing, nothing fancy. I'd like to find colors other than basic black.

DavidtheGnome
January 30th, 2017, 07:53 PM
Check out scribalworkshop on etsy, they make historical writing implements including inks. Haven't bought from them yet myself but I was seriously considering it when I experimented with dip pens.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/99581819/olive-green-buckthorn-berry-historic

jbb
January 30th, 2017, 08:25 PM
I've used fountain pen ink for dip pens. I'm partial to Diamine inks.

Searcher1970
January 30th, 2017, 08:52 PM
I'm currently messing around with a sampler pack of Noodlers

prasad venkat
January 31st, 2017, 05:41 AM
For colours, FP inks work. If you find the flow not consistent, add a few drops of Gum Arabic to it.
Another option lots of calligraphers use for color with dip nibs is gouache. It's like water colours and you can get wonderful shades.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1OmwQWGdF-I

For browns, you can use Walnut ink. Lovely antique brown colour.

The best black for dip pens is Iron Gall ink.

Hope this helps
Happy writing
Prasad

naimitsu
January 31st, 2017, 07:29 AM
I purchased some Ziller Calligraphy Ink from Anderson.
They make all of the basic colors, and I'm sure you can mix them to create your own shade. I have even added some pearl pigment powder (specifically the Ranger Perfect Pearls Pigment Powder) to the ink and used it with a dip nib.

Though make sure you clean your nib thoroughly if you're going to walk away from it for a few hours (days). It's a pain to get off of the nib once dry.

Paddler
January 31st, 2017, 07:44 AM
Amazon sells a kit of colored ink sticks. They work well. The advantage to ink sticks is that you can make the ink as thick or thin as you want. Of course, you need an ink stone to go with them, but still, it is an inexpensive way to a lot of interesting writing with dip pens.