PDA

View Full Version : "OLD GIT" NEEDING HELP WITH UPLOADING PHOTOS.

jarc
January 31st, 2017, 12:59 PM
For an oldie (my two adult children, who have children of their own), have been known to call me a dinosaur. I do not claim to have much computer knowledge, in fact I only just about manage to use one. In one of my posts the other day I was told that a photo might help with question I asked. I am also new to this forum, about two weeks.

My request of help is "How do I upload photos to my posts." I did try pressing the button marked Insert Image, but was then asked for a URL, which I have now researched and found out that it is an identifier of a website page (I think). That totally caused chaos because any photo I would upload is either on my computer, an SD card or a pen stick, certainly not a website.

I suspect that somewhere on this forum is the instructions for loading photos, but I cannot find them.

Can someone please assist me in this endeavour.

In anticipation, many thanks.
Regards.

kevmid
January 31st, 2017, 02:38 PM
Hi jarc,

Technology is not so easy if you have not grown up with it, so here are some explanations from the FAQ pages of the website. If you have a question on how to use the site first go to FAQ in the tool bar near the top of the page and type in the key words of your query to see what comes up. Hope this helps.

Albums and Photos

How do I use albums?

As a member, you can create Albums of images that are linked to your public profile. Albums can be created by visiting the User Control Panel, and clicking on the 'Photos & Albums' link, and then clicking on 'Add Album'.

Each album can have a title ('Joe's Holiday to Nepal'), a description ('A bunch of photos from my recent adventure') and can be of three different types: Public, Private or Profile.

Public albums can be viewed by anyone
Private albums can only be viewed by site staff (moderators, administrators) and your Friends and Contacts (info)
Profile albums are viewable only by you. However, you can use the images to customize your public profile (info)

How do I upload photos?

Once you've created an album you can upload images to it. Simply view the album and click on 'Upload Photos'.

You'll have the option to give each photo a caption, and to set one image as the Album cover, which will be displayed on the public profile. To delete an album or edit the title, description or album type, click on 'Edit Album'. To delete an image, or to edit a caption or change the album cover, click on 'Edit Photos'.

All members who have access to your album images can comment on them, in a similar way to Visitor Messages (more info). You can delete any image comments from your albums, and report inappropriate messages to moderators.

When you have uploaded a photo, you can place it in your posts by using the BB code text that is displayed below the image when you view it at full size.
Attachments and Images

How do I attach a file to a post?

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?

In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.

How do I add an image to a post?

If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.

To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing before the URL and after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert photos from your albums (?) in this way too.

Jon Szanto
January 31st, 2017, 02:41 PM
Kev, thanks! I was working on typing out a reply when I saw your's land, and it was pretty smart to cut-and-paste from the Help file!

One other thing: when doing a new post or reply, you'll see a button at the bottom that says "Go Advanced", which opens up the full editor. Doing so means you don't have to start a new thread, gives you a way to use attachments on a Reply, etc.

jar
January 31st, 2017, 02:54 PM
Also when displaying a photo in a message it is best to keep the width under 1000px.

ppmiranda
January 31st, 2017, 04:22 PM
I might have a different advice if you have a smartphone or tablet. When accessing the forum using the "Tapatalk" app there's a camera and picture icons above the keyboard when creating a new post. The former allows you to capture a photo with your device camera. The later, to select a picture from your device photo album or memory card.

The image bellow was inserted with the app so you can see the icons I mentioned. I just needed 3 clicks to add it to this answer. The app eliminates the need to manually uploading photos as it automates the processe for you.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170131/c090ca4d2a2bab62caf473424e55777f.jpg

P.S.: I'm not affiliated with the app. I just think it's easier to use for regular forum activities.

Jon Szanto
January 31st, 2017, 04:48 PM
If the OP is not very computer savvy, I'm betting they don't do a lot of smartphone use, either. Just a thought.

Also, to jarc: ALL CAPS is not a particularly good way to caption your posts, or for anything else, for that matter. It connotates shouting.

ppmiranda
January 31st, 2017, 04:59 PM
If the OP is not very computer savvy, I'm betting they don't do a lot of smartphone use, either. Just a thought.

Also, to jarc: ALL CAPS is not a particularly good way to caption your posts, or for anything else, for that matter. It connotates shouting.

I understand your point, but my parents are doing far better with smartphones than computers. Good apps really make some tasks simple and significantly lower the learning curve. Additionally, when they have problems with a specific app, I just setup everything so they can just use it.

In the end, it's a suggestion based on my own observations.

Jon Szanto
January 31st, 2017, 05:10 PM

I understand your point, but my parents are doing far better with smartphones than computers. Good apps really make some tasks simple and significantly lower the learning curve. Additionally, when they have problems with a specific app, I just setup everything so they can just use it.

Certainly, not meaning that it doesn't work for you. I've done a lot of work in eldercare and our own parent issues, and it is all over the map. Eyesight and finger/hand dexterity are also issues, which often can be addressed easier on a computer. But your comments about apps make sense if the phone is useable for the person.

ppmiranda
January 31st, 2017, 05:54 PM
Certainly, not meaning that it doesn't work for you. I've done a lot of work in eldercare and our own parent issues, and it is all over the map. Eyesight and finger/hand dexterity are also issues, which often can be addressed easier on a computer. But your comments about apps make sense if the phone is useable for the person.

Not only a phone, but also a tablet, which has bigger screen and can be used with keyboards too. But that's getting off-topic.

We have to help Jarc so that he can post pictures.

jarc
February 2nd, 2017, 04:56 AM
I might have a different advice if you have a smartphone or tablet. When accessing the forum using the "Tapatalk" app there's a camera and picture icons above the keyboard when creating a new post. The former allows you to capture a photo with your device camera. The later, to select a picture from your device photo album or memory card.

The image bellow was inserted with the app so you can see the icons I mentioned. I just needed 3 clicks to add it to this answer. The app eliminates the need to manually uploading photos as it automates the processe for you.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170131/c090ca4d2a2bab62caf473424e55777f.jpg

P.S.: I'm not affiliated with the app. I just think it's easier to use for regular forum activities.

Thanks for the tip.
Unfortunately (well may be not with me) I do not have a Smart phone or Tablet. Just my Laptop.
Regards

jarc
February 2nd, 2017, 04:58 AM

Many thanks for explanation, I will attempt to bear it in mind.
Regards.

jarc
February 2nd, 2017, 05:02 AM

Yes, take your point, I see my two adult children are never with out their phones attached to their ear (I think they had a special operation performed). The problem is I do not use a phone other than the land line in the house, and am not sure I want to afford one just for taking photos. I do a fair bit of photography and have cameras for that.
No doubt your advice is very sound.
Regards.

jarc
February 2nd, 2017, 05:08 AM
Hi jarc,

Technology is not so easy if you have not grown up with it, so here are some explanations from the FAQ pages of the website. If you have a question on how to use the site first go to FAQ in the tool bar near the top of the page and type in the key words of your query to see what comes up. Hope this helps.

Albums and Photos

How do I use albums?

As a member, you can create Albums of images that are linked to your public profile. Albums can be created by visiting the User Control Panel, and clicking on the 'Photos & Albums' link, and then clicking on 'Add Album'.

Each album can have a title ('Joe's Holiday to Nepal'), a description ('A bunch of photos from my recent adventure') and can be of three different types: Public, Private or Profile.

Private albums can only be viewed by site staff (moderators, administrators) and your Friends and Contacts (info)
Profile albums are viewable only by you. However, you can use the images to customize your public profile (info)

How do I upload photos?

Once you've created an album you can upload images to it. Simply view the album and click on 'Upload Photos'.

You'll have the option to give each photo a caption, and to set one image as the Album cover, which will be displayed on the public profile. To delete an album or edit the title, description or album type, click on 'Edit Album'. To delete an image, or to edit a caption or change the album cover, click on 'Edit Photos'.

All members who have access to your album images can comment on them, in a similar way to Visitor Messages (more info). You can delete any image comments from your albums, and report inappropriate messages to moderators.

When you have uploaded a photo, you can place it in your posts by using the BB code text that is displayed below the image when you view it at full size.
Attachments and Images

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.

If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.

To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing before the URL and after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert photos from your albums (?) in this way too.

kevmid, many thanks for the epic explanation. There is no doubt I am going to have to find the time to sit with my Laptop and try to understand all of this. Unfortunately I sometimes find things easier to grasp/understand if I am actually shown how to do things and not rely on reading instructions/explanations. I will give it a go and if I cannot grasp it I will hopefully get one of my two busy adult children to do the operation and then show me how to.
Thanks very much.
Regards.

jarc
February 8th, 2017, 05:44 AM
As promised I have spent time (this morning) attempting to follow instructions kindly posted for me previously so as to be able to add photos to posts. I have been to FAQ and clicked on "control panel". Having got to that page I cannot find any reference to a link "Photos and Albums Link". Have tried several times, but no luck.
I did warn you that technology and this old git, were not a good pair.
HELP.!!!!!!!!

jarc
February 10th, 2017, 12:58 PM
Hi jarc,

Albums and Photos

How do I use albums?

How do I upload photos?

Attachments and Images

kevmid, many thanks for the epic explanation. There is no doubt I am going to have to find the time to sit with my Laptop and try to understand all of this. Unfortunately I sometimes find things easier to grasp/understand if I am actually shown how to do things and not rely on reading instructions/explanations. I will give it a go and if I cannot grasp it I will hopefully get one of my two busy adult children to do the operation and then show me how to.
Thanks very much.
Regards.

As promised I have spent time (this morning) attempting to follow instructions kindly posted for me previously so as to be able to add photos to posts. I have been to FAQ and clicked on "control panel". Having got to that page I cannot find any reference to a link "Photos and Albums Link". Have tried several times, but no luck.
I did warn you that technology and this old git, were not a good pair.
HELP.!!!!!!!!
Regards

kevmid
February 10th, 2017, 10:15 PM
Dear Jarc,

Sorry you are still struggling. That epic explanation was a cut and paste from the FAQ after I typed in "upload photos" in the search function.

Maybe try this instead. I'll go for real basics and check you know click means click once with the left hand side of the mouse or touchpad on your laptop!!

Click on Forum in light blue toolbar top left of page

Then click on "community" in dark blue tool bar underneath. In the "drop down menu" - (technical jargon for list) click on "albums"

now you are on the page where you can create your own photo album. Click on "create new album" button right hand side of screen.

on this new page give album a name like "jarc's photos" for example and choose the viewing as "public" so everyone can access what you post, then click "Save changes"

So that then gives you an empty album photo album. Click on " upload photos" and a pop up box appears

click on "add files" then click on "browse" and that will give you the option to choose photos from your laptop as a screen will open

in that screen choose your photo currently in your laptop by clicking on it and then click "open" (double clicking the photo has the same result)

the name of that photo file will appear next to the browse button to show it is ready, then click on "upload" button just below and to the right of the photo file name

if you wait a bit that photo will appear in the attachments section below. At this point if you want to upload more photos, click on "add files" then "browse" and add more photos in the same way as described above

once you have all the photos you want in the attachments section click on "done" bottom right. That box will disappear. If you go back to the main fpgeeks page on albums which should still be up on your laptop, you will find your album with photos in it click on "save changes" on left hand side.

from that page you can add more photos at any time, edit them or delete them using the options on the right hand side

Now to add a photo to a post, first go to your album page (click on forum; click on community; click on albums) and click on the relevant photo. then copy the BB code that appears bottom right. Create your post and paste the BB code at the appropriate point. If you want to add in multiple photos I find it quicker to have two fpgeeks pages open at the same time one on your new post you are writing and one on the albums page. That means you don't have to stop creating your post and go back to the albums page. You can always get to albums by click on forum; click on community; click on albums

Sorry if I have missed out a stage but hopefully not. This is my self taught way of how to do it. Hope that is clearer than before and it works for you. Yes this is a tortuous plod but I am not tech savvy so there may well be a faster plod apart from tapatalk which you don't have.

Maybe someone else can post that if they know. Happy posting.

jarc
February 11th, 2017, 10:12 AM
Dear Jarc,

Sorry you are still struggling. That epic explanation was a cut and paste from the FAQ after I typed in "upload photos" in the search function.

Maybe try this instead. I'll go for real basics and check you know click means click once with the left hand side of the mouse or touchpad on your laptop!!

Then click on "community" in dark blue tool bar underneath. In the "drop down menu" - (technical jargon for list) click on "albums"

now you are on the page where you can create your own photo album. Click on "create new album" button right hand side of screen.

on this new page give album a name like "jarc's photos" for example and choose the viewing as "public" so everyone can access what you post, then click "Save changes"

So that then gives you an empty album photo album. Click on " upload photos" and a pop up box appears

click on "add files" then click on "browse" and that will give you the option to choose photos from your laptop as a screen will open

in that screen choose your photo currently in your laptop by clicking on it and then click "open" (double clicking the photo has the same result)

the name of that photo file will appear next to the browse button to show it is ready, then click on "upload" button just below and to the right of the photo file name

if you wait a bit that photo will appear in the attachments section below. At this point if you want to upload more photos, click on "add files" then "browse" and add more photos in the same way as described above

once you have all the photos you want in the attachments section click on "done" bottom right. That box will disappear. If you go back to the main fpgeeks page on albums which should still be up on your laptop, you will find your album with photos in it click on "save changes" on left hand side.

from that page you can add more photos at any time, edit them or delete them using the options on the right hand side

Now to add a photo to a post, first go to your album page (click on forum; click on community; click on albums) and click on the relevant photo. then copy the BB code that appears bottom right. Create your post and paste the BB code at the appropriate point. If you want to add in multiple photos I find it quicker to have two fpgeeks pages open at the same time one on your new post you are writing and one on the albums page. That means you don't have to stop creating your post and go back to the albums page. You can always get to albums by click on forum; click on community; click on albums

Sorry if I have missed out a stage but hopefully not. This is my self taught way of how to do it. Hope that is clearer than before and it works for you. Yes this is a tortuous plod but I am not tech savvy so there may well be a faster plod apart from tapatalk which you don't have.

Thanks very much for further help. Will try this approach to the problem and hopefully succeed.
Regards

jarc
February 13th, 2017, 07:09 AM
Dear Jarc,

Thanks very much for further help. Will try this approach to the problem and hopefully succeed.
Regards

I have uploaded a photo but it is massive in size and therefore not focused, all right if you reduce it. I have seen the photo but am not certain that anyone else will be able to see it. Plus I do not know where it now resides on this forum. Also not sure that I can do this successfully (if it was successful) for a second time. All seems very confusing and if I dare say it, frustrating to me. How come a man of my tender years (67) and supposedly intelligent cannot follow simple instructions. Yes, I have heard the expression, "Old age does not come alone". I am going back now to making my pen display box, which so far is a lot more successful than my posting of photos attempt. Unlikely at the moment that you will ever view the display case as I doubt I will be able to get any photos loaded, once it is finished.
Regards to all who have been trying to help with this posting of photos thing.

jar
February 13th, 2017, 07:23 AM
I have uploaded a photo but it is massive in size and therefore not focused, all right if you reduce it. I have seen the photo but am not certain that anyone else will be able to see it. Plus I do not know where it now resides on this forum. Also not sure that I can do this successfully (if it was successful) for a second time. All seems very confusing and if I dare say it, frustrating to me. How come a man of my tender years (67) and supposedly intelligent cannot follow simple instructions. Yes, I have heard the expression, "Old age does not come alone". I am going back now to making my pen display box, which so far is a lot more successful than my posting of photos attempt. Unlikely at the moment that you will ever view the display case as I doubt I will be able to get any photos loaded, once it is finished.
Regards to all who have been trying to help with this posting of photos thing.

Maybe it is time to stop struggling and sign up for a hosting service like FotoTime that will handle all the sizing and locating and creating links for you.

kevmid
February 13th, 2017, 09:38 AM
Hi jarc,

All may not be lost. If you are 67 you have not reached old git status yet!

If you just click on your uploaded photo to view it, it will appear massive and out of focus, but when you add it to a post it should appear normal. I am guessing/hoping you may have tried to view the photo that way just by clicking on it from what you have written as you did not mention creating a post. The actual detail and size of your photo will be determined by the camera you use, not the website but anyway try a test post as per the instructions above, if you have not already. If it does not work, simply delete it.

Your photo will reside in the album you created. Find it by clicking on forums in the top light blue tool bar, then community, then albums. Then you should see your album on that page. Click on that album to open it. Then as I said I find it is easiest to have another fpgeeks page open on your laptop at the same time to create your post so you can then switch between the pages to add in the photos at the appropriate point.

Try to follow the instructions exactly as above, (hoping they are good enough!) and if it goes pear-shaped at some point try and note what exactly did not work as otherwise it is harder for us to help you solve things. The best is having someone there to walk you through the process by showing you how, but in lieu of that the more exact description there is of what you are doing helps to narrow down the issues. So let us know. Did you try a post? Did the photo appear big in the post or just by viewing the photo from the album? Were you viewing the photo from the album page on fpgeeks or from the pictures page on your laptop?

Don't give in to the old age excuse! It might appear a bit laborious and difficult in the beginning but once you manage it, it just becomes another thing.
Having got my 80 year old dad fluent on his tablet I am not giving up on you yet!